**RESOLVED** "x axis error" in Mach 3

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

rppman

**RESOLVED** "x axis error" in Mach 3

Post by rppman »

So, my problem started out as being a "limit tripped" in the 7 segment display on the dc310b. Once i got that figurred out now i am getting a "x axis error" in mach 3 but i am still getting encoder readings on my DRO's on my screen. Being its the weekend and the support office is closed, i did some searching on the Mach support website and found a person with a simalar problem.
Axis X encoder error
« on: January 29, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have my X,Y and Z axis encoders being properly read by Mach3.

I know this because Mach3 correctly displays the coordinates reliably and each shows 0.200" per ball screw rev when turned manually. (even in the right direction).

But I can't get Mach3 to come off Reset, when I click on Reset I get the error 'Axis X encoder error'

Can't find any help on this error, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Then after the person talked to Ajax he posted this
Re: Axis X encoder error
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like the DROs only need A and B channels to operate (/A and /B not used to update DROs).

But, when Reset is clicked, the Mach Ajax Plugin compares at least the A and /A to get a signal level. If that level is below 3V then the error is triggered.

With line driver output encoders this is no problem, however my encoders are SumTak LBL-041-500 5v 160ma open collector outputs.

The Tree325 Dynapath controller did not use the /A, /B or /Z signals and only had 1k pullups on the A, B and Z signals.

The schematic Ajax supplied simply showed to hook up an encoder straight thru with no pullups.

Somehow the DROs updated even without pullups but the High state read only 0.012V and the low was 0.08V.

I attached the 1k pullups and was able to get a High state of 0.88V and a Low of 0.1V.

With 510 ohm pullups I get 1.3V High and 0.2V Low.

The Tree ran for 20 years with no noise problems so I am basically happy using the 510 ohm pullups which gives the MPU11 inputs 7ma in the 1.3V High state.

It looks like the signals go into an AM26LV32, BiCMOS, quadruple, differential line receiver.

The response from Ajax has been very positive and they are willing to provide a Beta version Plugin to me that has a parameter that can be set to turn off the 3V signal check when Reset is clicked.

Does anybody see a problem with this decision? There are a lot of open collector encoders out there as potential upgrades so I hope this is a good way to go.
The line driver encoders specs that i have are below.

TRD-Sxxxx-VD
TRD-SHxxxxVD
(line driver)
Power Supply
Operating Voltage: +4.75 - 5.25VDC*
Current Consumption: 50 mA max.
Signal Waveform: Two-phase + home position
Max. Response Frequency: 200kHz
Duty Ratio: 50 ± 25%
Phase Difference Width: 25 ± 12.5%
Signal Width at Home Position: 100 ± 50%
Output:
Line driver output (26C31 or equivalent)
Output Logic: Negative logic (active high)
Output Current H - 2.5 V min.
Output Voltage L - 0.5 V max.

Short-Circuit Protection Between output and power supply
So, I guess my question is do I need to get some step ups to get my voltage above 3V so i can stop the "x axis error"? If so, what size(510ohm)? Where do they install. close to the encoder or by the plug on the mpu11? Would I only need to install the step ups on the a,a- channels or all of them? Thanks
diycncscott

Re: "x axis error" in Mach 3

Post by diycncscott »

Rppman,

We have added a couple of parameters to allow you to use encoders which do not meet our specifications.

In machajax.xml file (you can edit it with notepad) in the ajax subdirectory of your Mach3 install there are two nodes:

"StopOnEncoderError" is used to tell the control whether to issue a stop fault when an encoder is not operating to specification.

Setting "StopOnEncoderError" to "0" as below will prevent your encoder errors from causing a stop fault (Reset), setting it to "1"
will cause the control to fault on all encoder errors

<StopOnEncoderError>0</StopOnEncoderError>
<MessageOnEncoderError>1</MessageOnEncoderError>

Setting "MessageOnEncoderError" controls whether an error is displayed but has no effect on the fault condition. Setting "MessageOnEncoderError" to "1" simply displays the message "Axis X Encoder Warning" but won't fault, setting it to a "0" disables the message for all encoders
rppman

Post by rppman »

Ok, thanks Scott
rppman

Post by rppman »

I am still stuck on the initial start up stage. I have only the connections that you say too do. First I downloaded mach3. Then powered up the mpu11 and bc310b and installed the ajax plugin. First problem was the "limit tripped" on the 7 segment display on the dc310b. I then set the dip switches as it was shown on the "defeating the limit switchs" thread and I was still getting the error. I ended up putting all the switches "up" then used wire jumpers from com to x- and so on. I finally got a "1" on the segment display. I resatarted with the encoders hooked up although I never did see "detect ajax hardware". I know my ip address is correct because the ajax plugin instl. Changed it for me. My encoders were reading on screen but then I was getting a "x axis encoder error"
So after further reading I found out about the volt requirements so I downloaded ajax plugin v1.08 and changed the the two codes you said in notepad to "0". Well, I have not seen the encoder error but I have not been able to reset either. I pull up the history box and it says "command killed due to buffer error" see picture attached. I have had one blinking red light that has never changed. I am not sure what the red light means all I know its the first one in the row in the middle right of the screen. I have removed and reloaded from scratch a couple of times with the same result. I swear I am not a trouble maker but I just need to get past this point. Please!!!!
Thanks scott or rppman
Attachments
error.jpg
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Scott,

Below is my response I sent yesterday in response to this subject which you sent via email and included in this post. Please respond with the information I asked for so I can help you.

Scott,

The buffer error doesn't mean anything, it shows up when you start because the buffer hasn't had a chance to fill. Checkout your ajaxlog.txt file for much more meaningful info.

Please send me your ajaxlog.txt and machajax.xml file. Both are located in the ajax directory inside your Mach install directory.

Couple of things - ALWAYS power up the mpu11 and DC3iob at the same time. Give the hardware about 30 seconds to initialize aftwer power up before starting Mach.

Estop switch and limit switches must be normally closed.

Go into diagnostics in mach and see if you have any limits tripped, estop etc...

What brains are enabled?

--
Best regards,

Scott Pratt
AjaxCNC - Now offering Centroid AND Mach3 based CNC control kits: http://www.ajaxcnc.com
rppman

Post by rppman »

When I start up my system( from the power strip ) the MPU11 and DC310B are powered up at the same time along with my pc. From the time the pc boots and I open mach 3 is more like 3 minutes. Now, once Mach opens I reach for the "reset" button right away. I will try and wait here for a bit. Also, I have not wired (or temp. jump) my e-stop switch yet as NC so if it is enabled I wouldnt be able to reset. I will get screen shots of the things you are wanting to see tonight when I get home. I didnt get your responce through email, so I dont know what happened there but I do appricate the responce. Thanks
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Hi Rppman,

Looks like we found the problem. Without the Estop wired, you will always be in "Reset".
rppman

Post by rppman »

Ok will try as soon as I get home. When do you think you might get the rest of the installation instructions done? You posted part of the proceedure in the "what comes next" thread and I realize there is only so much time in a day. But I was just wandering because if this e-stop thing fixes my problem I will be ready to go forward and the instructions you had posted were very useful.. Thanks Scott,
rppman

Post by rppman »

That did the trick. I am emergancy free!!! I still get an error if I turn the motors by hand saying "unable to follow x axis" one way, and if I turn the motor the other way I get "full power without motion" but I believe I read somewhere that I would get that error if my motor power supply is disconnected. Which mine is for now. Thanks again scott