Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: OAK/DYN4

Post by martyscncgarage »

tblough wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:00 am Thinking about building a laser cutter using the Dyn4 drives. I'm waiting on the go-ahead from you Marty.
It takes DMM awhile to respond...I've sent them video clips of the issue.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Small update.
DMM has the OAK and is working on the last final Oak/DYN4 compatibility details.
I believe just drive reset is left.

More soon....

Marty
Mesa, AZ
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by tblough »

Great news Marty. I was just going to ping you and see it there were any updates.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
martyscncgarage

tblough wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:58 am Great news Marty. I was just going to ping you and see it there were any updates.
Hope to hear back from them by the end of the week. If all goes well, they'll ship back Oak and I can test the system.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Titleiiarms
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by Titleiiarms »

Let us know when you do .. Been watching this thread for what seems like a year now with DMM/Oak and even acorn issues. Seems mostly do to cable/noise issues. Will you post what firmware version will fix these issues from DMM and who has the latest cables that acutually work out of the box for the OAK board.. ? I have one DYN4 mounted and ready to get 2 more and a OAK board to do a VMC system but not till they get this working correctly.
Guy
Titleiiarms
Dilliner, PA
martyscncgarage

Titleiiarms wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:44 pm Let us know when you do .. Been watching this thread for what seems like a year now with DMM/Oak and even acorn issues. Seems mostly do to cable/noise issues. Will you post what firmware version will fix these issues from DMM and who has the latest cables that acutually work out of the box for the OAK board.. ? I have one DYN4 mounted and ready to get 2 more and a OAK board to do a VMC system but not till they get this working correctly.
With respect to OAK/DYN4. We are very close DMM has OAK and doing some final testing based on a couple of things I found.
Drive reset. This function resets the drive by Oak when an Estop is cycled. It did not work for me, but turns out they didn't send me the correct drives with the upgraded firmware. They have corrected that.

Noise, especially prevalent when the drives are running under 220-240VAC. My solution was to ground the Centroid Flying lead cable shield to the DYN4 DB connectors. That cured it. DMM was able to reproduce the issue and fixed the cable shield issue.

They have one last test to do before sending Oak and the corrected drives back to me. They want to test the Axis brake. This is normally used on a Z axis that needs to be held when the control is faulted or powered down. It energizes a coil to release the brake in the servo motor. We've got a technical issue that is being worked on. I'm pretty confident it will be fixed and will work.

Once DMM has taken care of the last issue, the Oak and Drives will come back to me for bench testing. If all goes well, I will do a brief video and report back.

Anyone wishing to use OAK and DYN4 MUST tell DMM at the time of order. Anyone that had already purchased a Centroid Oak board and DYN4 expecting them to work together may be able to contact DMM to have the firmware in the DYN4 updated and the OAK drive Data cables corrected. That is an assumption on my part. Please do not approach DMM until testing is complete, and I clarify what needs to be done for those that already purchased OAK/DYN4 system.

If you made your own cables from Oak to DYN4 perhaps DMM will be able to provide an updated cable pinout. I don't recommend users do this unless they are very skilled at terminating the OAK connector properly. Buying the OAK-->DYN4 cable from DMM is the way to go. They purchase the cables from Centroid and then terminate the DYN4 end.

More soon. And yes, it has been more than a year since I have been working with Centroid and DMM on this project. To DMM's credit, they have worked toward making DYN4 compatible with the Centroid OAK board.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Titleiiarms

Post by Titleiiarms »

Good to hear.. I see they do post Firmware upgrades available for download so Im guessing we can do locally on older versions of drives. I will need a Z brake but mine is a 24 coil clutch relay external to the drive so I didnt need the built in option for the Z axis. I honestly would have went to a different brand if I had been in a hurry, just to get a proven system but the cost difference for 3 2KW drives and 3 1.3KW motors was just too much to justify the extra 2-3K those brands cost.
Guy
Titleiiarms
Dilliner, PA
martyscncgarage

Titleiiarms wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:28 pm Good to hear.. I see they do post Firmware upgrades available for download so Im guessing we can do locally on older versions of drives. I will need a Z brake but mine is a 24 coil clutch relay external to the drive so I didnt need the built in option for the Z axis. I honestly would have went to a different brand if I had been in a hurry, just to get a proven system but the cost difference for 3 2KW drives and 3 1.3KW motors was just too much to justify the extra 2-3K those brands cost.
No, DYN4 FIRMWARE upgrades must be sent back to DMM. They do not send out drive firmware upgrades.
You might be looking at the DMMDRV software that sets up the drive
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Just a quick update. Oak and DYN4 drives are on their way back. They had to modify the Oak-->Dyn4 cables. Apparently they didn't send me the correct firmware to allow OAK to reset the drives. They also tested the Brake circuitry on OAK (Output 9) for use with one of their AC Servos with a brake for a Z axis.

Should get them back next week and the following week I will try and get it all up on the bench to test.
OAK/DYN4 setup will go in to the FADAL TRM I am retrofitting. Probably will not get to it until sometime in November.

More soon.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
BASE
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900810

Post by BASE »

This is good to hear. I’ve got some DMM drives and cables coming this week. They seemed pretty sure they would play nice with the OAK. It’s going to take them 6 weeks to build my servos so I’ll just have to wait until then to find out myself.