Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0506190790
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: OAK/DYN4

Post by burke_wl »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:02 pm Yes, exactly. Running the logic power to 240vac is NOT the issue as I have found. It is running 240vac to motor power that causes the axis quadrature faults. With or without EMI filter. If you run 120VAC to drives motor power input, I do not see erratic Z index pulses. It would work, but you cut the axis motor max RPM.

We are working through a permanent reliable solution.

I am following Centroid Oak schematics. I keep logic power up and only break motor power with the Estop Contactor

Marty
Hi Marty,

I tried running 240v to both logic power and motor power today and notice the index pulse in the PID screen flashing without issuing a jog command. While jogging the index pulse was sporadic and would fault for quadrature error. So far I have only been able to run with 120V to both logic and motor power without issue.

240v Logic
240v Motor
Quadrature errors while jogging
sporadic index pulse
index pulse blinking while motor stationary

120v Logic
240v Motor
sporadic index pulse

120v Logic
120v Motor
No errors
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

burke_wl wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:25 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:02 pm Yes, exactly. Running the logic power to 240vac is NOT the issue as I have found. It is running 240vac to motor power that causes the axis quadrature faults. With or without EMI filter. If you run 120VAC to drives motor power input, I do not see erratic Z index pulses. It would work, but you cut the axis motor max RPM.

We are working through a permanent reliable solution.

I am following Centroid Oak schematics. I keep logic power up and only break motor power with the Estop Contactor

Marty
Hi Marty,

I tried running 240v to both logic power and motor power today and notice the index pulse in the PID screen flashing without issuing a jog command. While jogging the index pulse was sporadic and would fault for quadrature error. So far I have only been able to run with 120V to both logic and motor power without issue.

240v Logic
240v Motor
sporadic index pulse
index pulse blinking while motor stationary

120v Logic
240v Motor
sporadic index pulse

120v Logic
120v Motor
No errors
Yes. Exactly what I found.
Try 240vac logic and 120vac motor.
Let me know.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
burke_wl
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0506190790

Post by burke_wl »

Yes. Exactly what I found.
Let me know.
Marty
[/quote]

240V logic
120v motor
no errors
index pulse in PID screen seems stable

My 240v line measures 242.8vac phase to phase
martyscncgarage

burke_wl wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:39 pm Yes. Exactly what I found.
Let me know.
Marty

240V logic
120v motor
no errors

[/quote]

Thank you for taking the time to try this out. Our tests concur with each other.
More soon...

Marty
Mesa, AZ
wwenter

Post by wwenter »

Hello Marty
Have any new updates with your Oak and dyn4 drives.
Thanks Ty
martyscncgarage

wwenter wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:26 pm Hello Marty
Have any new updates with your Oak and dyn4 drives.
Thanks Ty
Still hashing it out with DMM.
As of today, they say a line reactor needs to be used for 220. Its their drive circuitry that's the problem. I have to get a line reactor to test with.
I just setup some BIG Fanuc motors using Centroid's AC/DC drives and had no problems.

I'm still working on it. I have been working with DMM for ONE Year this year on helping DMM with testing and making DYN4 compatible with Centroid OAK. I'll post more as I know more....

Right now, I can not recommend DYN4 for use with OAK, at least when you are running on 240. Spurious Index pulses cause CNC12 to fault.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
wwenter

Post by wwenter »

Hello Marty
I am currently using Oak with dyn4 drives and motors for my lathe. I am run CNC 11, 220 singe phase for both drives and motors. I made up my own cables as DMM did not offer them at the time. I have not seen the issues that you are having in my system with the index pulse, I am able to cut threads so far up to 1100 rpm and run programs, the one issue I have is that when I press E stop my z axis dro changes about .0003-.0015 only the first time you press e stop, DMM has told me this is caused by my logic power being on all the time, when E stop is pressed power is cut to motors this is the cause. I had one of my old drives go bad a few months ago, It was one of the first drives that DMM got to work with Oak, DMM replace it with an updated one and I need to replace the other one with one of the others that I have so I can see if It will work with out logic being power first. I am interested in seeing what the difference between your system is and mine other then I am running cnc11 and you are using cnc12, I made my own cables and you are using DMM cables. If you have any question about my system just ask I will try to answer any thing I know witch might be very little. Please keep us update on your progress
Thanks Ty
martyscncgarage

wwenter wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:53 am Hello Marty
I am currently using Oak with dyn4 drives and motors for my lathe. I am run CNC 11, 220 singe phase for both drives and motors. I made up my own cables as DMM did not offer them at the time. I have not seen the issues that you are having in my system with the index pulse, I am able to cut threads so far up to 1100 rpm and run programs, the one issue I have is that when I press E stop my z axis dro changes about .0003-.0015 only the first time you press e stop, DMM has told me this is caused by my logic power being on all the time, when E stop is pressed power is cut to motors this is the cause. I had one of my old drives go bad a few months ago, It was one of the first drives that DMM got to work with Oak, DMM replace it with an updated one and I need to replace the other one with one of the others that I have so I can see if It will work with out logic being power first. I am interested in seeing what the difference between your system is and mine other then I am running cnc11 and you are using cnc12, I made my own cables and you are using DMM cables. If you have any question about my system just ask I will try to answer any thing I know witch might be very little. Please keep us update on your progress
Thanks Ty
I have been working with DMM since July of 2018 on getting DYN4 working with OAK. Why they have sold their drives without completing testing is beyond me.

You are correct, early on, I did not have the index pulse issue.

There are several problems including a couple of compatibility problems that I see so far
DRIVE RESET, this allows OAK to reset the drive without powering it down. It was supposed to have been correct in the test firmware they sent me and it is not

ENABLE is inverted: DMM does not require its drives to have the ENABLE asserted in order to operate. When it is asserted it actually disables the drive. OAK uses this input to ENABLE the drive. DMM addressed this issue. It works now

LOGIC DRIVE POWER: You are correct, all standard drives (Estun, Delta, Yaskawa, Centroid AC/DC) are kept powered up but motor supply can be cut. This is in order for the encoder to remain powered up so position can be held. I let DMM know about this. I too experience a "twich" of the motor shaft on power up early on. Presumeably, during an E-Stop condition, the motor relaxed a tad, the drive saw the encoder position change a bit, and was trying to get it back into position and could not because there was no motor power. As soon as motor power was restored, it then corrected the position issue. (ALL an assumption on my part) Its been awhile, but DMM tells me this has been corrected, but because of the current issue, I can not test it.

And currently, this issue of sporadic index pulses when motor power is 240VAC. It does not matter if logic power is 120 or 240VAC. If motor power is at 120VAC, it "SEEMS" to be stable. DMM's most response was to use a LINE REACTOR. These can be costly. Filtering should be part of the drive circuitry in my opinion. Never the less, I am following their suggestion and have asked to either borrow a Line Reactor or for them to provide a part number so I can see about acquiring one for testing.

Bottom line, I personally can not recommend at this time DYN4 be used with OAK until DMM addresses the issues, my initial testing shows the issues have been resolved and we get concurrence from another user that it is functional.

Since DMM responded to me yesterday, I replied back. It may take some time for them to respond.

You now know what I know as of today 7/30/19....
Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

burke_wl wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:39 pm Yes. Exactly what I found.
Let me know.
Marty

240V logic
120v motor
no errors

[/quote]

I discovered the problem today for the noise issue.
DMM did NOT solder the shield from the Centroid flying lead cables to the DB9/DB25 shells. Cut the heatshrink back, get some small insulated green wire solder to the shield and to the shell, crank up to 240VAC and report back.
If you want to test the theory, clip a jumper to your central ground point and to the shell and check for noise in the PID screen.

Still an issue with drive reset line. Once that is resolved I think DYN4 may be good to go with OAK.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Thinking about building a laser cutter using the Dyn4 drives. I'm waiting on the go-ahead from you Marty.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.