Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

OAK/DYN4

Post by martyscncgarage »

Many of you may know I have been testing OAK and DMM DYN4 drives.
Recently I got new OAK->DYN4 cables and drives with a firmware update that is supposed to fix the Enable input (so the drive by default is disabled until OAK enables it, this feature is working) and they were to add a reset input. So if the drive is faulted, cycling the Estop would reset it. (This feature is NOT working as near as I can tell, I disconnected the encoder cable from DYN4 to create a drive fault, which OAK picks up the next time the drive is commanded to move, but cycling the estop does not reset DYN4)

The other issue is yes, I am getting Encoder quadrature errors from all drives. When I go into the PID to look at signals, I noticed the index pulse asterisk next to the drive lable is flashing sporadically. It should only show itself when the actual marker pulse comes around once per encoder revolution and sends the signal to Oak.

What I would like to hear from those of you trying to use OAK and DYN4 together, is if you are seeing the index pulse flashing while the motor is enabled or as you try and jog the motor.

Thank you
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Re: OAK/DYN4

Update.
When the DYN4's are operating on 240VAC the Quadrature errors occur. When the drives are wired to 120VAC, they seem to operate OK.
I tried wiring the drive direct to 240 and same issue occurs. I checked my 240VAC and it is 121VAC to ground and 242 phase to phase. Which is acceptable.
Working with DMM on this. Will provide updates as I go. I know there are a few users experiencing similar quadrature errors.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
wwenter
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by wwenter »

Hello Marty
I am using Dyn4 drives and motors with Oak. I looked at my PID and my index markers only show once every revaluation and no flashing sporadically.
I am using 240 volt to power my drives. The logic power is always on or I get errors When I release E stop power then go to my motors.
martyscncgarage

wwenter wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:30 pm Hello Marty
I am using Dyn4 drives and motors with Oak. I looked at my PID and my index markers only show once every revaluation and no flashing sporadically.
I am using 240 volt to power my drives. The logic power is always on or I get errors When I release E stop power then go to my motors.
Thank you for the input and response.
I,m not sure yet, but since the drive seems to work with 120, going to check grounds and power.
To be continued....

Marty
Mesa, AZ
burke_wl
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0506190790

Post by burke_wl »

Hi Marty,

I have an Oak using DYN4 drives. I purchased the cables from DMM. I had to rewire the A+, A- and B+,B- wires at the Oak connector to satisfy the requirements on page 40 of the install manual. (encoder counts positive while shaft spins CCW looking from motor drive end).

I have had a lot of noise related quadrature errors which seem to mostly be resolved with the addition of noise filter for the logic and motor power, not using 3 phase produced by a rotary phase converter (which was my original setup), and adding dedicated 24v dc power supplies also with noise filters installed on the 110v supply power to the PS. (one PS for Oak, one PS for PLCADD1616, one PS for IO 24v dc power) Prior to making these changes I was getting quadrature errors on the axis that was stationary while the other axis was jogging. I say mostly resolved because I still see an index pulse on the PID screen for the wrong axis while fast jogging x100.

The index pulse is light constantly while fast jogging x100 turning MPG wheel ~1rev/sec
The index pulse is blinking (faster that once/motor rev) while medium jogging x10 turning MPG wheel ~1rev/sec
The index pulse is intermittent while slow jogging x1 turning MPG wheel ~1rev/sec

I'm currently getting most of the (455 axis encoder quadrature error) while jogging at x1 and x10.

I'm going to try swapping the motor power to the drive to 110V from the current setup 240V to see if this will help.
martyscncgarage

burke_wl wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:42 pm Hi Marty,

I have an Oak using DYN4 drives. I purchased the cables from DMM. I had to rewire the A+, A- and B+,B- wires at the Oak connector to satisfy the requirements on page 40 of the install manual. (encoder counts positive while shaft spins CCW looking from motor drive end).

I have had a lot of noise related quadrature errors which seem to mostly be resolved with the addition of noise filter for the logic and motor power, not using 3 phase produced by a rotary phase converter (which was my original setup), and adding dedicated 24v dc power supplies also with noise filters installed on the 110v supply power to the PS. (one PS for Oak, one PS for PLCADD1616, one PS for IO 24v dc power) Prior to making these changes I was getting quadrature errors on the axis that was stationary while the other axis was jogging. I say mostly resolved because I still see an index pulse on the PID screen for the wrong axis while fast jogging x100.

The index pulse is light constantly while fast jogging x100 turning MPG wheel ~1rev/sec
The index pulse is blinking (faster that once/motor rev) while medium jogging x10 turning MPG wheel ~1rev/sec
The index pulse is intermittent while slow jogging x1 turning MPG wheel ~1rev/sec

I'm currently getting most of the (455 axis encoder quadrature error) while jogging at x1 and x10.

I'm going to try swapping the motor power to the drive to 110V from the current setup 240V to see if this will help.

With the drives enabled, NO MOVEMENT COMMANDED, does the index pulse flash in the PID screen?
Mesa, AZ
burke_wl
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0506190790

Post by burke_wl »

With the drives enabled, NO MOVEMENT COMMANDED, does the index pulse flash in the PID screen?
[/quote]

I did not notice this happening. I have since swapped to 120v for the logic and control power on the drives and so far it seems to have cleaned up the quadrature errors while jogging and the index pulse in the PID screen seems more realistic. One flash per/rev

I currently have both the control power and logic power ran through an e-stop controlled contactor which means when that I get encoder differential and quadrature error when the e-stop is pressed due to complete power loss at the drives. I'm going to try wiring the logic power direct and only cut control power during e-stop, but Im assuming there will not be anyway to reset the drives then in the event of a drive fault in that configuration.
martyscncgarage

Yes, exactly. Running the logic power to 240vac is NOT the issue as I have found. It is running 240vac to motor power that causes the axis quadrature faults. With or without EMI filter. If you run 120VAC to drives motor power input, I do not see erratic Z index pulses. It would work, but you cut the axis motor max RPM.

We are working through a permanent reliable solution.

I am following Centroid Oak schematics. I keep logic power up and only break motor power with the Estop Contactor

Marty
Mesa, AZ
wwenter

Post by wwenter »

Hello Marty
With logic power on and powering motors with contractor when you cycle Estop, Do you see small change in X or Z axis in the dro.
Thanks Ty
martyscncgarage

wwenter wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:36 pm Hello Marty
With logic power on and powering motors with contractor when you cycle Estop, Do you see small change in X or Z axis in the dro.
Thanks Ty
Not gotten that far yet...
Mesa, AZ