How to set default folder for programs (Resolved)

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

phoenixmetal
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900678
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

How to set default folder for programs (Resolved)

Post by phoenixmetal »

I keep my gcode files on a network drive which is mapped as the Z drive on my centroid PC. Also many of my files are in a deep folder structure, such as Z:\SampleCustomer\SampleProject\SamplePart\ . Currently every time I have to load a file, I have to navigate through that whole folder structure, which takes time.

Is there a way to get Centroid to default to whatever the last folder used was?
Sword
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: How to set default folder for programs

Post by Sword »

Hopefully this will be fixed in a future release, but until then, try this....viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2057&start=20#p22088

I works for me, but from time to time you may want to right click on a quick access folder and choose to remove it from quick access or your list might grow. I'm like you, I use a specific folder and generally have a deep structure as well and hated having to drill back to where I left off each time from the default ncfiles folder. Give it a try and see if it works. With the last couple of updates to CNC12, I have had to re-do it a couple of times to make it stick again.

Scott
Scott
phoenixmetal
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900678

Post by phoenixmetal »

Thanks Scott,

I took a look at the video from your link... The first thing I noticed is that it shows a normal windows file selection box when F2 is pressed. On my system, it remains within Centroid's interface (you don't see anything from Windows) which is a text-only interface (and which truncates long file names which is a drag). Is that a setting to get the windows popup selection window? Or does that have to do with what kind of system I have (the video shows an Acorn machine I believe, wheras I have a AllIn1DC machine)?
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

Not the video, my post below the video is what worked for me (quoted below). Also, if you don't see the windows file selection window, look at pg. 283 for parameter #4 - Remote File Loading Flag & Advanced File Ops, and set it to "8" or a combo of what you want. I just use 8.

Yes, this is Acorn, so I'm not sure about the all-in-one set up at all, sorry.
I found that if you open Windows File Explorer and go to 'View/Options/Change folder and search options' and check 'Show frequently used folders in Quick access' and for the fun of it, 'Clear file explorer history', the F2/Load windows select a file dialog will now remember your last loaded location. Seems to stick through restarts as well.
Scott
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You can add 8 to Parameter 4, to select the Windows file dialog, in CNC11 and CNC12 for All-in-one DC, Oak, and MPU11 systems as well.
martyscncgarage
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

cncsnw wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:00 pm You can add 8 to Parameter 4, to select the Windows file dialog, in CNC11 and CNC12 for All-in-one DC, Oak, and MPU11 systems as well.
Thanks Marc!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cbb1962
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2695C8301-0122180576

Post by cbb1962 »

Is there a way to set the default file location to the last opened file with the Windows file explorer in V4.5???

If I set parameter 4 = 4 it opens to the last file location with a DOS-style file interface.
If I understand correctly, I should be able to add parameter 8 to this to use Windows-style File Open dialogue

If I set Parameter 4 = 12 it opens a Windows dialog back to the default C:\cncm\ncfiles.

What am I missing?
Clint in NW Arkansas

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know...
martyscncgarage

cbb1962 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:31 pm Is there a way to set the default file location to the last opened file with the Windows file explorer in V4.5???

If I set parameter 4 = 4 it opens to the last file location with a DOS-style file interface.
If I understand correctly, I should be able to add parameter 8 to this to use Windows-style File Open dialogue

If I set Parameter 4 = 12 it opens a Windows dialog back to the default C:\cncm\ncfiles.

What am I missing?
Not sure if this helps or not. I use Parameter 4=12. Are you wanting the files elsewhere? Like a network?

From Section 15.1 of the CN12 4.14 User's Manual:
Specified paths.JPG
Mesa, AZ
cbb1962
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2695C8301-0122180576

Post by cbb1962 »

Thanks Marty. Yes, on a network, this will be better than using the default location.

I've started using some new software that places the .nc files several directories deep and it will place all the g-code files for a entire job in that folder. I ultimately want to navigate to a folder and stay there until I choose a different one. It seems like several versions of CNC12 ago you could choose to open the last file location...
Clint in NW Arkansas

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know...
martyscncgarage

cbb1962 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:57 pm Thanks Marty. Yes, on a network, this will be better than using the default location.

I've started using some new software that places the .nc files several directories deep and it will place all the g-code files for a entire job in that folder. I ultimately want to navigate to a folder and stay there until I choose a different one. It seems like several versions of CNC12 ago you could choose to open the last file location...
Don't recall that, but I don't use the feature. You can specify where as a static location, but don't recall seeing anything that will remember the last location. I know Windows itself once pointed to a location will put it there until its changed.

Maybe Marc will chime in.
Mesa, AZ