Mach3 based kit - Full Power Without Motion

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

david

Mach3 based kit - Full Power Without Motion

Post by david »

I have an ajax mach3 based cnc kit with the mpu11 and the dc3iob installed on a knee mill it worked very well until yesterday. it appears a message on the mach3 screen that says " axis y full power without motion" and the same for the z axis, the x axis works very well and is the only one that power on what i have to do to correct this problem?
diycncscott

Re: ajax mach3 based cnc kit

Post by diycncscott »

Hi David,

Full power without motion errors are generated when the control is attempting to command motion on an axis but the appropriate encoder feedback from that axis is missing.

The causes of the full power without motion can generally by narrowed down to:

1. Problem with the encoder.
Check: Confirm that you have encoder feedback on all axes. Rotate the X, Y and Z axis motors by hand. Do the DRO positions update smoothly for each axis?

2. Problem with a limit switch.
Check: With power off, confirm that you have continuity between input common and each limit direction on all axes. Limit inputs can be found on H21 on the DC3IOB
H21 blank.jpg
H21 blank.jpg (55.75 KiB) Viewed 6834 times

3. Software configuration and/or software limit switch configuration problem.
Check: Confirm that Mach doesn't see any limits tripped and that the enables are set. Clear Reset, then prior to commanding motion, go to the "diagnostics" screen in Mach (alt F7) and confirm all axes are enabled and that no limits are tripped (In the screen shown the Y axis is not enabled and the Y - limit is tripped)
MachEnables.jpg

4. Problem with motor power.
Check: Is the Estop contactor on? Confirm that there is ~120VDC across VM+ & VM- on H3 of the DC3IOB.

5. Problem with the Servo Drive
Check: If only some of the axes are effected, power off and switch the motor and encoder cables from a working axis to faulty axis and vice-versa. Does the problem follow the motor or the drive?

6. Problem with the motor.
Check: If only some of the axes are effected, power off and switch the motor and encoder cables from a working axis to faulty axis and vice-versa. Does the problem follow the motor or the drive?
david

Re: Mach3 based kit - Full Power Without Motion

Post by david »

Hi Scoot

I have checked the 6 points you suggest me and i find this:

1. when i move by hand the x y and z axis the dro positions update smoothly this means that i have good encoder feedback.
2. i have continuity between input common and each limit direction in all axes
3. when i see the diagnosis screen in mach3 the three axes are in red (enabled) and there are no limits in yellow (tripped)
4. when i push the reset button in mach3 the e-stop get power and come on (i can see and listen it) .i read 117 vdc across vm+ and vm-
5. only the y and z axis are affected, when i change the cables from x servo and encoder to y or z axis the servos work well
6. only the y and z axis are affected, when i change the cables from x servo and encoder to y or z axis the servos work well

please tell me what more can i do?

thanks
David
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

David,

1. When you put the X motor on the Y axis output of the DC3IOB (and swap encoder connections), then press the Y jog key, does the X axis move?

2. When you put the Y motor on the X axis output of the DC3IOB (and swap encoder connections), and then press the X jog key, does the Y axis move?

Please email your mach3mill.xml file (in c:\mach3) and machajax.xml (in c:\mach3\ajax) to tech@ajaxcnc.com
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I would check the Axis 2 and Axis 3 fuses on the DC3IOB board as well.
david

Post by david »

Hi Scoot

I have checked the 2 points you suggest me and i find this:

1. when i put the x motor on the y axis output of the dc3iob and and swap encoder connections and then press the y jog key the x motor does not move
2. when i put the y motor on the x axis output of the dc3iob and swap encoder connections and then press the x jog key the y motor moves

the fuses of axis x y and z (15 amp)have continuity.

i have send the mach3mill.xml and machajax.xml files to tech@ajaxcnc.com

please tell me what more can i do

thanks