Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900662
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Swing arm ATC

Post by owgstrength »

Hey guys i have a problem has anyone know how to connect a Swing arm ATC to oak board with PLC add 1616 on a Matsuura Mill i have an electrician working with but he has little or no knowledge of how this is done if anyone have a drawing on what to connect i would love the help Please
another thing do i have to set up a soft limit if i have limit switch on my machine

Thanks
Owen
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes

Re: Swing arm ATC

Post by cnckeith »

Owen,
i'd plan on buying some tech support time.
install the swing arm plc program when installing cnc12
and follow this typical swing arm schematic as a guide.
Attachments
S14918.r2_typical Oak swing arm wiring.pdf
(557.27 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
owgstrength
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900662

Post by owgstrength »

Hey Keith thanks alot
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

It is a good idea to enter the software travel limits, even if you do have a full set of limit switches.

Soft limits will prevent you from jogging full-speed into a limit switch. They also allow the control to tell you when you first start a program cycle whether that program, at some point, commands a move that is outside the machine's travels.
CrossfireX
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900998
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by CrossfireX »

cnckeith wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:38 pm Owen,
HI Keith, Sorry to hijack an old thread, but I can't find a swing arm plc program for Oak, where would I find one? Anyone have one that works?

My swing arm changer has the rotary barrel type encoder in the front with 4 proximity switches above it. I am almost finished installing an Oak to replace an Anilam 5000M, and I am blown away by the lack of information available. It appears to me that if you want to retrofit a hobby bechtop mill or a bridgeport then it's ok, but if you want to do a real machine for industrial work, there's just nothing available.
If the green light ain't burning, you ain't earning.

Jason A.K.A. CrossfireX
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

CrossfireX wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:27 pm
cnckeith wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:38 pm Owen,
HI Keith, Sorry to hijack an old thread, but I can't find a swing arm plc program for Oak, where would I find one? Anyone have one that works?

My swing arm changer has the rotary barrel type encoder in the front with 4 proximity switches above it. I am almost finished installing an Oak to replace an Anilam 5000M, and I am blown away by the lack of information available. It appears to me that if you want to retrofit a hobby bechtop mill or a bridgeport then it's ok, but if you want to do a real machine for industrial work, there's just nothing available.
Hi, i've asked chris our in house plc programmer to post the generic Oak swing arm plc program here. you can modify it yourself to match your retrofit project or have the plc program customized to your requirements by us or others such as cncsnw.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You can also start with this one, if you prefer:
http://www.cncsnw.com/OakUnifiedPLCHowTo.htm
... and operational guidance at:
http://www.cncsnw.com/UnifiedATCSwingAr ... orInst.htm

You will almost certainly have to make changes to suit your machine, or hire me to make them.

I have never seen a swing-arm gearbox with four prox sensors. They most commonly have three. You will have to find out what the four sensors actually indicate.
CrossfireX
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900998
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by CrossfireX »

Keith, thanks, I would appreciate any help you can give. I've found PLC program on the console for Redoak with swing arm ATC and it looks like it's just about right for what I want, maybe I can modify it, but maybe I'm wrong too, I'm that confused now that I don't know whats what...

cncsnw, Thank you, If I can't get this solved myself in the next day or so, I might have to hire you, I wish I had known about you before I started, I woudl have just hired you right at the start so I could have all this done before I even got the controller delivered. In relation to the 4 proxy switches: only 3 were connected as far as I can tell, I mean they were all connected, but only 3 were used. I took videos of a tool change in progress showing the drum rotating and the proxy's switching on and off, but I can't find them for the life of me. just a silly question though, in all of the connection details I can find they reference "Arm Clamp", "Arm Home", and "Arm Stop" but which is which? I assume that Arm Home is the left, Arm Clamp is the middle, and Arm Stop is the right? I dunno.
If the green light ain't burning, you ain't earning.

Jason A.K.A. CrossfireX
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

chris will post tomorrow the oak swing arm plc program that we have used on some in house machines.

but Marc (cncsnw) is probably your best bet for quick service on a custom PLC program!
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

CrossfireX wrote:I took videos of a tool change in progress showing the drum rotating and the proxy's switching on and off, but I can't find them for the life of me. just a silly question though, in all of the connection details I can find they reference "Arm Clamp", "Arm Home", and "Arm Stop" but which is which? I assume that Arm Home is the left, Arm Clamp is the middle, and Arm Stop is the right? I dunno.
There is an illustrative comment at the start of the swing-arm ATC code in many Centroid PLC programs, and in mine:

Code: Select all

;
;              Home        Clamp1        Clamp2          Home
;
;               H     A  B   C1     A  B   C2     A  B   H
;              ----+                                   +----
;  ArmAtHome       |                                   |
;                  +-----------------------------------+
;
;              ------+   +---------+   +---------+   +------
;  ArmAtStop         |   |         |   |         |   |
;                    +---+         +---+         +---+
;
;                          +-----+       +-----+
;  ArmAtClamp              |     |       |     |
;              ------------+     +-------+     +-------------
;               H     A  B   C1     A  B   C2     A  B   H
High and low in this diagram are more conceptual than actual: since the sensors are generally triggered by notches in the cams, when the intended position comes around, the sensor stops conducting and the input opens. But for conceptual understanding, the above diagram makes sense:

"Home" senses when the arm is in its idle/parked position.
"Stop" senses when the arm is at any stopping point: home, first tool-clamping position, second tool-clamping position, or back at home
"Clamp" senses when the arm is at the tool clamp/unclamp position (gripping the spindle tool and the magazine tool)

If you have the common setup, of normally-open sensors detecting notches, the light on each sensor will turn off when it is indicating the condition it is supposed to indicate.
Last edited by cncsnw on Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.