Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900659
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Minutes From Running the Final System Test... Disaster! <resolved>

Post by MrBob »

Was literally warming up the machine to run the final System Test (and mentally writing my acceptance speech for employee of the year) when I started seeing 404 position and full power without motion errors on the Y-axis. Suspecting a faulty cable, I (brilliantly) swapped motor cables with the X-axis to test that theory. Result was errors on that axis as well - and even better, the X-axis errors persisted after switching the cable back.

Upon further investigation, found that the Y-axis motor had shorted to the casing. Full post mortem revealed windings actually contacted the casing - obviously motor had been dropped or otherwise mishandled at some point, very recently I'd suspect as it couldn't have run that way for long.

Was initially hopeful when I saw the X and Y motor fuses had blown on the Allin1DC board - was REALLY hoping they had saved the drives. That hope evaporated upon seeing that any new fuses placed in there will also blow the second the drives are enabled, so would seem that something in the final drive circuit is fubared.

Aside from turning this machine into a really nice cnc drill press (Z-axis still works great), is there any possibility of recovering from such an event? Are repairs even possible?
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Minutes From Running the Final System Test... Disaster!

Post by martyscncgarage »

MrBob wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:50 am Was literally warming up the machine to run the final System Test (and mentally writing my acceptance speech for employee of the year) when I started seeing 404 position and full power without motion errors on the Y-axis. Suspecting a faulty cable, I (brilliantly) swapped motor cables with the X-axis to test that theory. Result was errors on that axis as well - and even better, the X-axis errors persisted after switching the cable back.

Upon further investigation, found that the Y-axis motor had shorted to the casing. Full post mortem revealed windings actually contacted the casing - obviously motor had been dropped or otherwise mishandled at some point, very recently I'd suspect as it couldn't have run that way for long.

Was initially hopeful when I saw the X and Y motor fuses had blown on the Allin1DC board - was REALLY hoping they had saved the drives. That hope evaporated upon seeing that any new fuses placed in there will also blow the second the drives are enabled, so would seem that something in the final drive circuit is fubared.

Aside from turning this machine into a really nice cnc drill press (Z-axis still works great), is there any possibility of recovering from such an event? Are repairs even possible?
Sorry to hear this.....

It's one of the reasons Centroid tells you to test the motors before connecting them. Is that what you did and determined you had a bad one?

Go here, Centroids Tech bulletins, Look at 155
http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy ... browse.php

Give Centroid support a call and see what they can do for you. Do the motor tests first, then tell them straight up what happened.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Centroid_Liviu
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

Give us a call at 814-353-9290 Option 4 for Tech Support. We can get you an RMA# and we do have a swap-out program if you need to be back up and running right away. The board can be repaired from most damage, the minimum repair cost is $375.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
MrBob
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by MrBob »

It's one of the reasons Centroid tells you to test the motors before connecting them. Is that what you did and determined you had a bad one?
Marty, I'm a huge fan of all your "movies", so pardon me if I gush a bit! :D - but yes, carefully tested several times. All passed and ran fine for the last couple of weeks while dialing in ballscrews, pid testing, etc. Only indication of huge troubles to come was that one motor was ever-so-slightly tighter when turning by hand. Slight to the point I almost thought it was my imagination, but in hindsight was a huge red flag.
Give us a call at 814-353-9290 Option 4 for Tech Support. We can get you an RMA#
Josh at tech support was aweome - have an RMA in hand and headed out the shop to pull that board right now.

Thanks everyone!!!
martyscncgarage

Thanks,
Sorry for the misfortune. It happens to the best of us... :oops:

I hope it turns out well and you can get a replacement motor.
What was the make and model of the motor?

Marty
Mesa, AZ
MrBob

Post by MrBob »

These are Anilam Branded Baldor 3 NM motors, Anilam PN #37000117. Still investigating specs, etc, but appears the more readily available PN 37000116 is the exact same motor minus the tach - which is just an extraneous noise source now anyway - so that one may be an option as well.
martyscncgarage

Do they have a straight 5/8" keyed shaft or do they have a worm? If standard shaft, you can just buy another DC Brush servo with similar specs.
Mesa, AZ
MrBob

Post by MrBob »

Just a quick follow up for anyone who may arrive here searching for info. The Anilam 37000116 motor body worked fine as a replacement for the bad 37000117. The -116 doesn't have the encoder housing or the beefy bendix socket, but the-117's encoder housing was a perfect fit after relocating four bolt holes in the center section.

If starting over, would request encoders with a 3/8" shaft opening and install them inside the tach housing directly on the shaft (i.e. after removing the tach assy) rather than dealing with the wobbly shaft coupling and extra piece of 1/4" shaft required to mount inside actual encoder housing.

Otherwise, all's well that ends well. Sent the damaged board in to Centroid and they had me back on track in no time. Finished the install and we are making parts. Many thanks for all the help!
martyscncgarage

MrBob wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:26 pm Just a quick follow up for anyone who may arrive here searching for info. The Anilam 37000116 motor body worked fine as a replacement for the bad 37000117. The -116 doesn't have the encoder housing or the beefy bendix socket, but the-117's encoder housing was a perfect fit after relocating four bolt holes in the center section.

If starting over, would request encoders with a 3/8" shaft opening and install them inside the tach housing directly on the shaft (i.e. after removing the tach assy) rather than dealing with the wobbly shaft coupling and extra piece of 1/4" shaft required to mount inside actual encoder housing.

Otherwise, all's well that ends well. Sent the damaged board in to Centroid and they had me back on track in no time. Finished the install and we are making parts. Many thanks for all the help!
Thanks for the follow up. Glad to hear all turned out well and the machine now gets to pay you back!

Marty
Mesa, AZ