Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 101981
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Digitizing to Fusion 360

Post by Fueler1 »

Has anyone figured out how to get a digitized file into Fusion 360?
agsweeney1972
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Digitizing to Fusion 360

Post by agsweeney1972 »

Convert it to STL using MeshLab or another program and then you can open it directly from Fusion360. If you are using MeshLab, make sure when you open it that you have the delimiter set to a space and not a comma or semicolon.

There is a ImportSplineCSV add-in that is supposed to be able to do it but I have yet to get it to work (Always locks up Fusion).
Sportbikeryder
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 10583
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Sportbikeryder »

I haven't had much luck getting any usable files in either. Fusion struggles with even 2d imports of point data. I have not tried it in about 6 months, perhaps it is better now after a few updates.

John
Fueler1
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Post by Fueler1 »

Ag, Sport,
Tried that and failed also.
I will admit I get a little grumpy now and then when I think of what I invested in the digitize package and am unable to do anything with it.

I posted the following on the facebook page this morning.

Perhaps some hope is possible. I was at the PRI show and spoke at length with Centroid's Kieth and Andrew about this problem. They had not worked with 360 and seemed surprised that it could not be done. In fairness they and Centroid grew up with MasterCam and Vectric, both which can directly import the files. After I explained that MasterCam was a non starter moneywise we went a little further in the discussion.They were under the assumption that any CAD program could do this. I asked them to download 360 and give it a try. I will get back with them in a couple of weeks to push the issue.

And THEN, an hour later I tripped over an Autodesk employee, Adam Smith. I explained the problem. Here again there was some surprise about this, but he was there working with Haas. Apparently not a problem with Haas and whatever digitize program their users use. He was not familiar with Centroid sooo after explaining the whole thing again I asked if I could introduce him to Centroid. No problem. Got that accomplished and Centroid is going to put him with the right guy and see what can be done. It will be a good thing for both companies if they get this figured out. Again I will follow up with both in a week or so. It should not be this difficult. I am hopeful
agsweeney1972
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by agsweeney1972 »

I have had the best luck opening them in Creo Parametric and exporting from there. I didn't mention it because I am guessing not too many people have access to that software. If you want to send me one of your digitized files I will do a quick conversion for you.
Sportbikeryder

Post by Sportbikeryder »

I used to use ProE/ Creo and it, along with Catia, are much better at importing this type of data. Solidworks also struggles,or at least use to.

I believe it has to do with using parasoild based modeleking as the core of the processing. Solidworks started with parasilids, whereas ProE/Creo did not. Now everyone is trying to merge into a ubiquitous method.

Linking Centroid up with the fusion guy is a good match. I have modified posts for fusion to better suit my older Centroid head porting machine. It isn't the most powerful CAD/CAM out there but it fits well with the Acorn /diy market do sure.
Fueler1

Post by Fueler1 »

sportbike,
When you say older head machine does that mean you use that rocker table?
How well do you think that works out for you versus their newer tilting rocker head?
Ever use it as an everyday trunnion table?
Sportbikeryder

Post by Sportbikeryder »

Fueler1 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:29 pm sportbike,
When you say older head machine does that mean you use that rocker table?
How well do you think that works out for you versus their newer tilting rocker head?
Ever use it as an everyday trunnion table?
Yes, It is a 2008 unit with a TRT-32 (+/-32 degrees of tilt).
http://www.centroidcnc.com/oems/atrump/ ... _rev10.pdf

The newer A560 / A590 is a much nicer machine.

The TRT table assembly makes the machine less rigid, but I do use it for 3 axis and 3+1 machining. I have a Fusion 360 post that I tweaked to use 3+2, but haven't tried anything to see if it actually works, and I haven't done any simultaneous 4th axis stuff with Fusion.

As with anything, it all comes down to what you want, need, have, and can afford, as well as how tolerant you are to "deal" with the lack of rigidity when making a 3 axis part. The base machine is middle of the road, and this one does not have a tool changer (well, other than me...) I'd like to have a 5 axis Okuma and wouldn't turn it away if one showed up along with a pre-paid service contract... ;-)

As for head porting, it works just fine. We use it for Motorcycles, specifically Suzuki Hayabusa heads, mostly turbocharged engines.

John
Fueler1

Post by Fueler1 »

CNC Kieth,
I realize it is the holidays after PRI but has this subject come up concerning collaborating with Autodesk?
If not, do I need to shake the tree with both parties to get this moving?

We chatted at PRI about using Intercon to recreate something that was just digitized.
Ever think about doing a video walk through on how to reverse engineer something via digitizing, then follow up by cutting it with Intercon?
Might use something other than that horse as an example.

Merry Christmas to all.
Sportbikeryder

Post by Sportbikeryder »

Perhaps a new sub forum for Posts or CAM info to encompass Fusion 360 as well as other platforms would be beneficial. All info in one section as post and use info is currently blurred between this main forum and the Acorn sub forms.

John