Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900127
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

**RESOLVED** Soft Limit Setup

Post by wallyhart »

Scott,

I've tried every combination of values in the Homing/Limit setup. Is there an another place in Mach 3 that I need to enable the use of soft limits? I constantly get the error "softlimits max<min. Or if I hit the softlimit button I get "machine is out of limits for softlimit activation". I have my table setup for 18"x24" and I can jog past the 18"(Y) and 24"(X). I've read all the chapters on limits in Mach 3. I've got the homing down and "reference all" works now. Mach 3 had a video lesson on homing and limits and I feel I have the settings right. Everytime I make a change to the Homing/Limit section I restart Mach 3. I've been on this one snag for days and I know it is a simple procedure..please help!!

Wally
diycncscott

Re: Soft Limit Setup

Post by diycncscott »

Wally,

There is no other place to setup soft limits. Make sure you are setting your soft limits up in MACHINE position. Part position, or WCS
position, is meaningless with regard to soft limits. There is a button on the main screen to display machine position.

If you home to positive, you (most likely) should have a 0 in your max travel and negative something in your
min travel. If you put a 0 in max and 4 in min, you'll get a "SoftLimits Max < Min" message -Obviously 0 (Max) < 4 (Min)

If you get the error "machine is out of limits for softlimit activation", it means your current position is not within the bounds
that you defined in setting up your soft limits. Move ALL your axes to within the defined limits before pressing the soft limits button

You can find more information on Mach soft limits at http://www.machsupport.com

or read the mach manual:http://www.machsupport.com/docs/Mach3Mi ... Config.pdf

To do auto homing, see the manual for using M92 or see this post to set up your "ref all" button.
http://www.ajaxcnc.com/ajaxbb/viewtopic ... f+all#p808
wallyhart

Post by wallyhart »

Scott,

I'm homing X&Y to negative and Z to positive. I have 24" in max and 0 in min. for X. For Y, I have 18" max and 18 min. I've tried dozen of combinations in the Homing and Limit section. I've fliped the values, tried negative instead of positive values, inputted larger and smaller values, checked off and on auto z, reverse and played w/ speed, offsets...everything on that page. By the way, I can't find, in Homing and Limits, a choice for setting soft limits in Machine Position or Part position!!! When I'm on that page I have values and choices that I have spent days trying every combination and still get the same error "softlimits max<min". The main screen, I don't see a Machine or Part position button. I have a Machine Coord's button but I have turned that on and off a thousand times. The error is always there. I know this is simple and one value or chioce will make it work..I need a clear instructional guide that shows every value and choice that I need to select. Step by step and not assuming anything!!!

Wally
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Wally,

Please post a screenshot of your homing/soft limits screen and I'll see what I can do.

1. Make sure your machine is homed -and at home position.

2. Make sure you are displaying machine coordinates -all axes should read zero
If not, you either are not displaying machine coordinates, are not at home
or did not home correctly

3. Make sure soft limits are OFF

4. Jog all axes to the positions that you wish to set as limits.

5. For X & Y you should have a positive number displayed - enter these values
into your Soft Max soft limit. Leave Soft Min at 0

6. For Z you should have a negative number displayed - enter this value into
your Soft Min soft limit for Z. INCLUDE negative sign. Leave Soft Max at 0.

7. SAVE

8. Go to Config-> Save settings... Save Again

9. Jog all axes halfway back to home

10. Turn on soft limits.

I can't make it any clearer than I already have. If you have a positive
number or 0 in your Max, you need a negative number in Min.

As the error has been warning you, Max must > Min

18 is not greater 18 <- = :cry:

Zero (0) is not greater than four (4) <- = :cry:

Zero (0) is greater than negative 4 (-4) <- = :D

This is a matter of configuring MACH soft limits. The hardware involved is irrelevant
and as such you really need to take this to the forums at www.machsupport.com to ask
your questions so you can learn how to use Mach.
wallyhart

Post by wallyhart »

Scott,

I finally got it. I'm waiting for a ballscrew for my Z axis and at times disabled that drive. I had 4 and 0 set up in the max-min. I tried negative values with X-Y, but not with Z. I put in 0 for max and -4 for min. I had 4 and 0 or 0 and 4 before. The softlimit button now works for the first time and doesn't allow me to jog past my max distance..thanks.

One more thing, in Config> Motor Tuning I have 20,400 (Steps Per) for X and Y. It says I should have that same value in Ports and Pins/ Encoder/MPG's...which I do. The question to you is in Config>Config Plugins does my counts per rev. need to be the same? Right now it is 8000. The value that it was loaded with.

Wally
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Wally,

The counts per rev in the config plugins should be = to the number counts per rev that your encoder produces.

The only other setting you need to worry about is the "steps per unit" in the motor tuning screen for each axis. If you follow the instructions for setting this in the mach install manual for the dc3iob you should be fine.

-that reminds me, I need to finish the mach install for the allin1