Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900659
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Anilam (Baldor) DC Servo Power

Post by MrBob »

Am retrofitting an Anilam 1100 Series system on a Bridgeport type mill with the AllIn1DC board, reusing the old servos (first time doing one of these - yay!). The Anilam system had a cap and bridge wired to 110VAC, thus supplying 160VDC to the servo boards. Interestingly, the Baldor servos used in the system all have 140V noted on their name plates. These motors are still running strong after 25 years, so they seem to have tolerated it quite well, at least in THAT system.

At this point am wondering: Is there something different about the way the Allin1DC provides current to the servos that would now require the voltage to be stepped down, even though the previous system had them powered via direct rectification?
travasky
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes

Re: Anilam (Baldor) DC Servo Power

Post by travasky »

As far as I can tell based on my own Allin1DC install and everything covered in the documentation, what you supply at the VM terminals is what gets passed along to the motors.

Did you measure the output of the existing cap and bridge combo or are you just basing the 160VDC figure off of input voltage*1.4? Have you measured 110VAC going into the rectifier?
MrBob

Post by MrBob »

Yes, actually did measure supply voltages prior to ripping the guts out of the box. Was definitely 110VAC (coming in from the wall socket) wired to the cap and bridge and 160VDC coming out the other side, wired directly to the DC servo bus.

Based on that, was ready to just slap in a new cap and bridge and go to town - all up until reading all the dire warnings about never ever EVER supplying higher voltage to the motors than what is on the nameplate. That's when I began wondering if maybe the older systems (1990's Anlam in this case) used some other scheme than PWM to supply current to the servos (i.e. something that would have prevented them from ever actually seeing that 160V as they will while being driven by PWM)?
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

dont' tell anyone.. but i've gotten away with running 155 vdc into sem servo motors rated at 140 vdc when i didn't have a step down transformer handy.. i watched them to make sure they didn't get hot..and they ran cool.. now they have been running that way for a few years...so i chalk that up to a conservative voltage rating by SEM on the motor. Your results may vary. and as always...Be sure to perform a through motor health check to verify that there are no shorts to ground (bad commutator, or windings etc.. before hooking up to Allin1DC.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
MrBob

Post by MrBob »

You're secret is certainly safe with me. ;)

The servos are tagged with the correct Anilam part # for the system they came out of and every schematic I've found shows 160V being supplied to the servo bus via cap and bridge. Doesn't seem overly unreasonable to conclude that Baldor probably gave Anilam the green light to run these motors at 160V. At least for the moment, and going to ass-u-me the Allin1dc servo drives are not fundamentally different than the Anilam drives and proceed to do the same... with all due caution and close monitoring of course!

Will definitely take your advice on a thorough motor health check prior to reinstall. Totally appreciate the input!
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Servo motor quick check guidelines:

http://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppor ... ds/155.pdf
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
MrBob

Post by MrBob »

Excellent reference - thanks a ton! Motors are looking good so far - but after days of soldering to rebuild the bendix cables, won't be too surprised if that checklist saves my bacon.
CRM
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900171

Post by CRM »

I will echo Keith's cautions; but that said, I too am running my Magnetek servos above the advertized voltage rating. I initially had a step down transformer but the max rapid travel was well below the speed I had before the retrofit on my Southwest Industries Trak DPM. They used an odd configuration where the drive was modular and one was attached to each servo motor. I took a peek inside and determined they were direct rectifying 115v line AC current so I felt fairly confident I could do the same with the ALLINONE board. Once I did, my rapids were back up to pre-conversion speeds.
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
MrBob

Post by MrBob »

Thanks for sharing Dean. The old Anilam had three separate servo drives as well, and a big fat cap and bridge right in the middle of it all. Wouldn't have thought twice about keeping the same config that was already in there for decades if not for carefully reading that section of the install manual. Am feeling more comfortable with the idea by now, and no issues noted on the initial spin up, but am still going to keep a good eye on it once it becomes fully operational (which will be any darned minute now - just gotta solve some GUI weirdness that popped up after updating to CNC12 for the touchscreen support... but that's probably gonna be a whole 'nother thread!). - Cheers!
MrBob

Post by MrBob »

Oops, accidentally hit the submit button twice.