Aftershock
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

**RESOLVED** Arm Style ATC requires additional inputs

Post by Aftershock »

In late 2007 I purchased a kit to retrofit a an arm style ATC mill. I spoke with Jesse for pre-sales questions who told me the kit would work. After getting the kit and starting installation, I noticed the documentation was all for an umbrella style ATC. I called and spoke to Drew. I was told that I would have to pay extra for custom programming to make it work with my setup. I said that if I had been told this pre-sales, I would not have bought it and that I wanted to return it. He then told me to email the sequence of steps and that I would be provided with a program for running it. I did not hear back from the last email I sent and the project just sat. A couple months back, I started work on this system again. I downloaded the latest program which I was told would support an arm style ATC. However, there are not enough inputs on the PLC to even support it. It has 13 just for the tool changer. I can get by without 1 or 2 and I can hard wire relays to some such as not allowing the arm to swing unless retracted. However, there still will not be enough. It appears the newer version of the PLC supports adding inputs, but the connectors do not exist on the one I have as shown in the manual for a DC3IOB.
diycncscott

Re: Arm Style ATC requires additional inputs

Post by diycncscott »

If you purchased a DC3IO from us in 2007, it has 30 inputs - some of which are dedicated for limits etc...
but you have a little over 20 inputs available to run the rest of the machine tool changer. The DC3IO can
and does run arm type tool changers -with I/O to spare but that's not to say that it can run every
arm type machine out there - that's impossible for us to determine. Only the machine owner can determine
how many I/O are needed to run his machine.

We will provide a a PLC program that runs an arm style tool changer free of charge but there is a good
chance that it will need to be modified. You can either do the modifications yourself or provide us with
a complete list of all your I/O and detailed description of tool change sequence (must include all I/O transitions)
and I'll quote you on our fees to write a custom PLC program.

Regards

Scott