Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Retro fit Shizuoka B-3V

Post by martyscncgarage »

Are you saying then your spindle orient is handled by the Fujitsu drive?

The Yaskawa Drive on my Bridgeport Torq Cut 22 runs on single phase.

You might search to see if your Fujitsu will also run on single phase (or give it a try) My Torq Cut 22 Yaskawa drive has a 5hp/7.5hp rating. I have a transmission as well. I realize I have to derate the drive. There are many running Torq Cut's on single phase.

I believe the worst that could happen is your drive faults, best case it works. I would disconnect the cabinet supply to the VFD and wire the 220VAC Single phase to 2 of the 3 legs through a pair of fuses and directly to the drive (I chose the outside pair and no connection to the middle one) BUT proceed with caution and ask around about your particular drive first.

I'm sort of a gambling man, but not with your stuff! ;)
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Muzzer
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Muzzer »

There are 2 things you need to know if you plan to run a VFD off 220-240V single phase. Firstly is it designed for 220-240V between phases (340Vdc internal bus voltage) and secondly does it have a "phase missing" detector. Most don't but if it did, the worst outcome would be that it wouldn't work.

Single phase VFDs tend to be limited in power to about 3.3 - 4kW but I have a couple that are rated at 5.5kW, so it's not a hard and fast rule. The Yaskawa V1000 comes in ratings up to 4kW and they are very conservatively rated, so would be happy to run flat out all day, with 6kW overload for 60s.

The level of derating when running single phase input on a three phase VFD is not usually significant. The input current is shared between 4 diodes rather than 6 and although that suggests that you'd need to derate the input phase current by 33%, they are often designed to run single phase without derating.
Neuhorst
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Neuhorst »

I am not exactly sure how the tool orientate is controlled but I do know that the VFD has to be capable of stopping in the right position for the tool change to happen. I emailed polyspede and they told me that the HITACHI P1-00600-LFUF has the power rating and will need the P1-FB optional board encoder input card.

So for now I am planning on going ahead with installing the ALLINONE and try to get up and running using the Fujitsu VFD that is in the machine by putting single phase to it like Marty suggested and hopefully I won't let the smoke out. :lol: . And later on I will try to get the tool changer working.

I am intrigued by what muzzer said about the VFD would be running on 4 diodes instead of 6 diodes. If each leg of the 3phase input feeds 2 diodes does it matter that phases coming in are 120° apart? Since its all getting retified into DC. If running single phase 240 into 2 of inputs works but is derated, could I not run another single phase into the 3rd input to feed the other 2 diodes?
Attachments
SinglePhase to ThreePhase.pdf
(68.7 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Shoot your picture sin LANDSCAPE mode and upload them. The site software is turning them 90 degrees but when you click on them they are correctly displayed. Keith needs to find the setting in the board software to fix this....
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Neuhorst wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:26 am I am not exactly sure how the tool orientate is controlled but I do know that the VFD has to be capable of stopping in the right position for the tool change to happen. I emailed polyspede and they told me that the HITACHI P1-00600-LFUF has the power rating and will need the P1-FB optional board encoder input card.

So for now I am planning on going ahead with installing the ALLINONE and try to get up and running using the Fujitsu VFD that is in the machine by putting single phase to it like Marty suggested and hopefully I won't let the smoke out. :lol: . And later on I will try to get the tool changer working.

I am intrigued by what muzzer said about the VFD would be running on 4 diodes instead of 6 diodes. If each leg of the 3phase input feeds 2 diodes does it matter that phases coming in are 120° apart? Since its all getting retified into DC. If running single phase 240 into 2 of inputs works but is derated, could I not run another single phase into the 3rd input to feed the other 2 diodes?
I read the doc, its typical. BUT may not be typical for Fujitsu. You should do some more research and or contact Fujitsu.
If you put 220VAC across the terminals of the Fujitsu, it may or may not error with a phase loss fault.

On the Yaskawa drive I have on the Torq Cut 22, many have run them single phase. That may not be the case with your Fujitsu. Does the Fujitsu do the spindle orient for you?

You might look to American Rotary for a CNC quality Phase converter ONLY to run the spindle drive. Use single phase for the control.
Just a thought.

My mill has a 220VAC single phase input for the VFDs and a 110VAC single phase input for the control (so I didn't have to use a step down transformer)
Mesa, AZ
Neuhorst
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Neuhorst »

The fujitsu is the factory VFD and so it is capable of doing the tool changes where the logic and commands comes from I am not sure if the drive handles that or the CNC system does that. Since the price was right I bought the basically for the medal and wasn't worried about the electronics. The fujitsu has been fixed and by the looks of the cabinet it had a fire at one point, maybe it wasnt fire and just got hot enough to make black marks above the drive.
Attachments
20180722_140918.jpg
martyscncgarage

Does the spindle encoder cable go to the Fujitsu drive or straight to the control?

If the Fujitsu drive handles the spindle orient, it needs some sort of feedback. Either a sensor on the spindle that is syncronized with the tool change orient position or the spindle encoder itself.

If the control handles it, the feedback goes to the control, when a tool change is called for, it commands the VFD at a slow speed and watches for the orient signal and stops the VFD I believe.

I would probably sort out how the machine does its spindle orient. Maybe Muzzer knows? Before moving any foruther.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
CRM
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900171

Post by CRM »

The basics of what a VFD does is rectify the incoming voltage on all phases to DC and pool it on a DC bus. Then, using high power MOSFETs, they recreate a close approximation of a sine wave from that DC current at a specified frequency.
To the best of my knowledge, nearly all VFDs will operate on only 2 legs of the incoming 3 phase power, BUT, you must derate their capacity by 33% (because you are only pooling 2 of the expected 3 phases of incoming power) I would talk to the techs from your VFD vendor to verify that a particular brand allows this.
I work for Cummins Power Generation as their prototype machinist in one of their plants and we did just that with a VFD that was was driving a 3 phase motor to run the cooling fan for a large single phase portable genset. They went the route of a 3 phase motor on the cooling fan specifically to vary the speed to match the cooling requirements at various loads and ambient temps.

(coincidently, roughly the same concept is used in our small variable speed RV gensets that are inverter based, except that instead of a variable output frequency, it is locked to 60 Hz)
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine