Sizing servos for machine and software? Recommended motion control 5 axis?

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

Toysrfun
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Sizing servos for machine and software? Recommended motion control 5 axis?

Post by Toysrfun »

I’m not sure if it matters with acorn software since I am waiting for my initial pro digitizing bundle to arrive but I’ve noticed that the all in one has a maximum servo capacity of 4nm and 15amps. Is this because the drivers are built into the motion control? I’m looking into servos for another build here on a larger Bridgeport style mill and I am likely going to oversize them for various reasons including my plans to direct drive the ballscrews. This machine is also going to run 5 axis so I will have to resort to another motion controller beside the acorn board but I want to keep the software fluid between all the machines using centroid here. The servos I chose are 4nm 1.2kw 2500ppr 3000rpm 5a max. I can actually get a better price on 6.7nm 1.5kw 3000rpm motors and drivers but the worry is that I could have some compatibility issues. Forgive me for lack of any understanding I’ve never used servos before. This machine is rather important to me to invest enough money to do it right the first time and I don’t want to be disappointed with the end result like I have been with steppers which seem to me to be incredibly slow if you want to run them without losing steps. If there is a recommendation for a centroid board that isn’t overly extensive that would be appreciative I’m not looking for a myriad of input/outputs. Most likely I won’t have much connected beyond spindle control, series nc limit switches, and a digitizer probe. I would like the option for an atc and pdb some day but there is no guarantee I will ever do either. If those two options were to cost me $1,000 more on a motion controller I would most likely pass on them for now knowing the additional cost to build those components into the machine is already extensive. I appreciate your comments and input. Thank you.
Toysrfun

Re: Sizing servos for machine and software? Recommended motion control 5 axis?

Post by Toysrfun »

Looks like I found my answer. The oak can run ac servos and the All-in-One cannot. So the oak would be the goto board for this machine. Price isn’t too bad either up to 8 axis. Not that I’d ever use that many but it’s more than adequate.
Centroid_Liviu
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

You are correct, Oak Board. We carry Estun AC Motors/Drives (~$800 per Axis at 1kW) as well as Yaskawa AC Motors/Drives. You can source your own as well, as long as the drives accept either Velocity (-10 to +10v) or Position (A/B Phase) and we get a differential quadrature encoder signal to the control.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
Toysrfun

Post by Toysrfun »

So if I have a 4th/5th axis that uses hybrid encoders it’s not going to be compatible with this machine is it? I’m going to need to have a separate trunnion table for this particular machine than my others correct?
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Toysrfun wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:27 pm So if I have a 4th/5th axis that uses hybrid encoders it’s not going to be compatible with this machine is it? I’m going to need to have a separate trunnion table for this particular machine than my others correct?
You don't define hybrid encoder. Centroid CNC control requires line driver type encoder input for positioning. Between motors and drives could be a different story.

You need to describe your system better and possibly show pictures, including pics of the motors and labels of your existing hardware.

Your system sounds complex, best to match everything up, from waht you described, I'd look at Oak and 5 axis worth of Estun AC drives and motors from Centroid. What size motors is up to you to determine.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Toysrfun

Post by Toysrfun »

Yes it is complex and likely beyond my skill in implementing it alone so I have a local friend and another online helping collaborate the build so I can successfully assemble the mechanical aspects of it and address the integration of motion control and learning those aspects when that time comes. First i need a 5 axis before I can develop the skills to use it. I decided yesterday it made the most sense to stick with the same brand servos and we will assemble our own trunnion using zero backlash harmonic type drives. The servos have been ordered and probably won’t arrive for a few weeks. The question was in regard to a pre existing system and the thought in being able to move it from mill to mill rather than invest into a separate one. Purely from an economical perspective is all. This all adds up rather quickly and with further thought and discussion the Trunnion will probably remain on this particular machine indefinitely so it becomes a moot consideration in swapping it around. I don’t see it working the drives though closed we’re designed to accept step/dir. it’s the lack of knowledge how the oak functions and I will be the first to admit I haven’t spent much time researching it yet and was only concerned about basic compatibility until I get further along. We’re going to wait at least 3 months before ordering a motion controller for it giving us time to get the mechanics in order. If necessary I can use another pc to test it with 3 axis during that time. Thanks for the response sometimes I ask questions so I can answer them myself later. The mind often needs to delve into print to visualize the project.