wtecksolutions
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0823050980
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

AJAX Mill CNC10 power supply won't power up (resolved) see text

Post by wtecksolutions »

I resolved this problem but wanted to pass along the resolution.

I did not use my Ajax Mill for a number of months, went to power it up and the display showed "No Signal". I checked the CNC10 ATX processor and it had no 5vdc or 12vdc power and not fans running. Not power switch on the CNC10, so I checked on the web for different BIOS setting for the CNC10 processor. These is a setting in the BIOS that sets the processor to power up /reboot if there is a power failure. I speculate that this setting is enabled so the CNC10 does not need a power switch, just apply power and it boots up.

Well I think that BIOS setting reverted back to don't boot after a power failure. So whenever i powered up the Mill the processor would not boot.
Hmmm, no power switch on the CNC10, how do I power it up.... Pulled the power supply and checked it and it was ok. Pulled the CNC10 to take a close look at the processor board. Nothing jumped out so I looked on the Web for info on the ATX processor and how a power switch would be setup if were used as a PC. Found jumper locations for "Power Switch", "Reset", "Power On LED" and "Drive Activity". The "Power On" jumper works with a momentary contact switch for on and off. I momentarily connected a jumper to the "Power On" jumper and the CNC10 powered up! Cool....

Reinstalled the CNC10 back in the Mill powered up the Mill and the CNC10 did not power up (needed the CNC10 back in the mill to check the BIOS). So I momentarily jumpered the "Power On" pins again and the CNC10 powered up. :D Checked the BIOS and Boot on Power Failure was not set to BOOT. I set it to BOOT and powered off the Mill. Turned the Mill on again and all works as normal. ALL is WELL NOW!

I looked on the web and I am order a switch and LEDs that readily available for ATX processorson Amazon for $8 so if the problem happens again I just need to push the power on button that I will setup on the CNC10.

I think the cause was potentially so sort of glitch (unexplained) or something to do with the processor CR2032 battery going low and causing some sort of problem with the memory. Who knows but the problem is solved and it really didn't cost a dime.

I hope this is of value or makes sense.
Centroid_Tech

Re: AJAX Mill CNC10 power supply won't power up (resolved) see text

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Your issue was most likely that the CMOS battery died and the BIOS settings got set back to factory default. Centroid uses standard off-the-shelf PC motherboards on the majority of their controls but as you can tell, there isn't a power switch on the control. We set the BIOS settings to not look for that power switch so that the PC comes on the moment that it receives power. The attached tech bulletins should help.
Attachments
272 Console or PC Not Booting Up-r2.pdf
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 110 times
114 BIOS Settings r5.pdf
(19.91 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
wtecksolutions
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0823050980
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: AJAX Mill CNC10 power supply won't power up (resolved) see text

Post by wtecksolutions »

Centroid_Tech,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that the CMOS probably lost power.

TB272 is basically what I figured out and TB114 is good to have so I can verify the BIOS settings. Your docs are far better than mine :) .

I used searches to search the forum and the internet but for some reason the searches never found TB272 and TB114 (search the forum is always first step). I must have missed something when looking at the TB docs. These docs would have saved some time and confirmed my findings.