Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

F commands in MDI <explained>

Post by Dave_C »

After finishing my Mill conversion I ordered a new computer (refurbished actually) and when I got the new computer I downloaded complete new software versions from the Centroid web page. Upon installation, I saw there were some changes even though I had downloaded my version sometime around the first part of Dec 2017.

I then set up all my settings in the wizard just by looking at the screens on the laptop that I had been running the machine with and the install went absolutely flawless. Or so I thought!

I've ran a full part and posted the picture and it ran as it should!

Today I wanted to grease my ball screws so I started up the mill, homed it out and went to MDI to make a move in X from the Home position to the opposite end of the table. I typed in X0 F10 expecting the table to move at 10 IPM but instead it moved at rapid speed! I tried it several times and no mater what I type, it moves at rapid speed instead of the commanded F speed.

I've made the same moves before I updated the software so what did I miss on this go around? Is there some over ride that keeps the F commands from working? It ran fine when I ran my part!

The differences I see in the new software:

You can set the default X1 move (Parm 40)
You can choose a password or omit one alltogether
On the VCP the feed rate over ride is a + or - and not the rotatory button. (works much faster)

There is a rapid feedrate over ride button! ( I don't know what this one does) My over ride is set to 100% of feedrate and the the display shows 100% feedrate. So somehow I think I have this in some over ride mode even for F commands.

Dave C.

Edited to add Report:
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
Centroid_Tech

Re: F commands in MDI

Post by Centroid_Tech »

If you only type X0 F10, you forgot to type G1 which is the linear feed G code. By default, when you go into MDI, it's in rapid or G0 mode. Once you add a G1 in MDI, it will stay in that mode as it's modal.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Dave_C »

Ok, This just proves one thing. I'm getting to old to do this! :oops:

I suppose it's a good thing I don't have to testify in court how this works because I would have sworn I did not enter the G1 command before but then I may be thinking of how I've used Mach 3 for years.

Oh well, just another day!

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Just remember that as long as you enter the G1 the first time, you do not have to enter it again while in MDI unless you command a G0 as it's modal. You could just add a new F command. If you exit out of MDI and go back into it, it will default back to G0 mode so you need to make sure to enter the G1 command.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..