Is it okay to crank the servo motors by hand on my Allin1DC mill?

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

apm
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Is it okay to crank the servo motors by hand on my Allin1DC mill?

Post by apm »

I have a Centroid Allin1DC on my milling machine. It's an old prototrak mill with DC servo motors that I retrofitted. I was commenting to someone how one of the nicest things about the Allin1DC system is that I can turn off my servo motors and crank the table around in Bridgeport mode, and use it pretty much like a prototrak mill for prototyping operations.

Then the question arose what happens to the power I generate when I crank the handles? After all motor becomes a generator so where does that DC current go? Is it safe to crank the handles around and run with the servo motors off and only turn them on when I want to use the CNC portion of the mill? So far I've had no problems doing it but is the system designed to dissipate back fed power?
cncsnw

Re: Is it okay to crank the servo motors by hand on my Allin1DC mill?

Post by cncsnw »

Yes, it is okay to do that.

I am fairly certain that, with power released, the Allin1DC essentially disconnects the motor, so there is no energy to absorb.

But, even if it were in a dynamic braking mode (and you would know that when you tried to turn the cranks) the drive should still be able to dissipate anything you can generate by hand.