willpwrd
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900130
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

VFD connections

Post by willpwrd »

I am hooking up a GS3 VFD and have the wiring diagram provided by Ajax but would like some clarification on hooking it up. I know where everything goes except these three connections.

DO2 Digital output (At speed)
DO3 Digital output (Zero speed)
DOC Digital output common

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
cncsnw

Re: VFD connections

Post by cncsnw »

You don't have to use those signals at all, so there are no standard instructions and connections for them.

Because they are open-collector current-sinking signals from the GS3 drive, you need at least one bank of current-sourcing inputs on the PLC to read them.

For example, if you wanted to read DO2 "At Speed" on INP13, and DO3 "Zero Speed" on INP14, then you could connect:
1) +12VDC to the 13-16 COM terminal on header H10 on the All-in-one unit
2) 0VDC to the DOC terminal on the GS3 drive
3) input wire from DO2 on the GS3 drive to INP13 on H10 on the All-in-one
4) input wire from DO3 on the GS3 drive to INP14 on H10 on the All-in-one

With a DC3IO or DC3IOB, you could use one of the Auxiliary Input banks for this purpose: remove the jumpers so that on-board 5VDC is not connected to the Aux inputs; install 1K SIPs if you are using 12VDC, or 2.2K SIPs if you are using 24VDC; wire the positive voltage (+12 or +24) to the second pin from the top of the Aux input header; and wire the inputs from the GS3 to any of the bottom six pins.
willpwrd

Post by willpwrd »

Thanks,
I thought that might be the case but wanted to be sure. As I am new to this whole VFD concept, could you give me an example of how these outputs may be put to use?
willpwrd

Post by willpwrd »

Just an update, the GS3 was very easy to hook up. The information from Ajax was on the money, the only thing is in parameter 4.13 the value needs to be set to 4 not 01. It appears they did a firmware change on the VFD. I though I would post this as an FYI in case someone else was hooking one up.