Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

CNC4PC C86ACCP for ClearPath SDSK servos

Post by Richards »

A while back I followed a lot of discussion about the CNC4PC C86ACCP interface board for ClearPath SDSK servos. After comparing costs of using terminal blocks and DIN rail to using a C86ACCP board to connect servos to the Acorn, the cost and labor savings were very favorable for the C86ACCP board, so I ordered one. It arrived yesterday. There was no documentation in the package. I went on-line and downloaded a report file for the Acorn, a manual (?) and some guides. The report was made with an earlier version of Centroid CNC12 software. I'm using 4.20 on the Acorn V3 board that I planned to use for testing. When I loaded the report, I was warned that I would not be able to change the I/O because of the version mismatch. That meant that I couldn't even see which Inputs/Outputs were being used. So, I decided to use the PDF files. They didn't match the version of C86ACCP that I received. Finally, I decided to try to just wire things up as best I could. I was lucky. It worked the first time.

Except for the lack of documentation, I am very impressed with the board. I have two ClearPath motors connected to it as X-axis and Y-axis motors (an SDSK-2310S-RLN and an SDSK-3421P-RLN). When I pressed Cycle Start, the motors were enabled. When I manually twisted the small motor's shaft far enough to create a fault, the Acorn showed a motor fault. When I pressed the Acorn's on-screen Reset button, and then pressed Cycle Start again, the drives showed green lights (ready to run).

Because of the frustration that I had worrying about whether I was connecting things properly, I'm including a step-by-step list of connections and procedures that I followed to get things working.

C86ACCP Setup

1. Moved all jumpers from “Hard” to “Soft”

2. Using only X-axis and Y-axis. Jumpered “X” and "Y" axes “On”. All other axes jumpered “Off”

3. Set jumper Acorn Enable “On”

4. EDITED: Replaced factory jumper wire. Connected one screw terminal to Output 8, Common.
Connected the other terminal to Output 8, N/O. Configured Output 8 as No_Fault_Out

5. Not using Slave Axis. Left Slave Axis jumpers factory default.

6. Connected C86ACCP N/O terminal to Acorn Input 1

7. Connected C86ACCP Common (Middle) terminal to GND

8. Powered up Acorn and started CNC v 4.20

9. Pressed cycle start to enable motors

10. Used Wizard to configure Input 1 as Drive-OK

11. Restarted Acorn

12. Moved X-axis and Y-axis from Virtual Jog Panel. Motors responded properly

13. Manually turned ClearPath SDSK-2310S-RLN shaft until the drive faulted

14. Acorn detected fault

15. Reset Acorn and pressed Cycle Start. Servo motor was re-enabled

16. Entered a short program via MDI. Everything worked as expected

I ordered another C86ACCP for the other three ClearPaths that I am going to install on my Taig mill when I build another control box. Currently the Taig's controller uses some Oriental Motor PK268-02AA steppers that I pulled off Kodak S-printers and DM542 drivers. That C86ACCP board will be used on a V4 Acorn (I really miss the LED indicators when I use the V3 Acorn. My two V4 boards have spoiled me).
Last edited by Richards on Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mike Richards
carbuthn
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: CNC4PC C86ACCP for ClearPath SDSK servos

Post by carbuthn »

Mike,
I am also using the C86ACCP on my PM25 mill, I also agree that the documentation needs to be updated.

I went through 3 boards in order to get one that worked as it should (one version 1 board and two version 2s) the version 1 board was never installed as Arturo sent me a version 2 to replace it.

The first version 2 did not work correctly (didn't show motor faults or enable correctly), contacted Arturo who said that the replacement board was not the latest, he sent me another version 2 board that had different resistors installed on it.

That board has been working correctly and I have been making parts on the mill.

My setup is essentially the same as yours except for the additional servo (X,Y & Z). I installed the board, installed CNC12 4.5, configured it and started using the mill.
Chuck
carbuthn

Post by carbuthn »

Duplicate post.
Last edited by carbuthn on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Guys, once you have it working you can SHARE your Drive profile with the rest of us. That way its here for the next person.
In the Wizard, Axis Drive type, once configured, click EXPORT.

Try it!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Richards

Post by Richards »

Marty,

I'm attaching the exported file that you requested. Also, I changed step 4 in my setup/configure procedure in my previous post. It now reads:

4. EDITED: Replaced factory jumper wire. Connected one screw terminal to Output 8, Common.
Connected the other terminal to Output 8, N/O. Configured Output 8 as No_Fault_Out

ClearpathSDSK&SDHP.xml
(8.02 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
-Mike Richards
martyscncgarage

Richards wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:01 pm Marty,

I'm attaching the exported file that you requested. Also, I changed step 4 in my setup/configure procedure in my previous post. It now reads:

ClearpathSDSK&SDHP.xml
Thanks MIke! Hopefully it will help others using the Clearpath Servos.
Mesa, AZ
Richards

Post by Richards »

Arturo Duncan quickly responded to some questions about the C86ACCP. He's been very helpful. I'm sharing his answers here:

(He responded) To answer your questions:
- Tell us what Hard/Soft jumper settings do.

HARD Keeps the servos enabled/active. SOFT will disable the servo while the CNC12 is not active.

- Tell us what the relay does (I assumed that it needed to be
connected to Acorn's DriveOk input signal)

It interrupts the DriveOK Signal. It is to notify the ACORN/CNC12 of the fault condition. When the C86 trips, the relay trips. It is like pressing e-stop.

- Tell us what Active Axis jumpers do in ON and in OFF positions

This is just to allow the board to allow a cable disconnect detection. I suggest to just leave it off unless you know you need it.

- Tell us what the Acorn Enable Jumper does in ON and in OFF position

There are two ways or a combination of two ways to notify the C86 board that the CNC12 is active. Using the Axis enable signals or the No_Fault. They actually work in series, so you could use either or a both.

- Tell us what the terminal block with the Red Wire connecting the two
terminals does and how to connect it properly to the Acorn's No_Fault
output signal (I'm assuming that that is the purpose of that terminal
block.)

The previous question answers this one.

This board has probably a level of complexity that 95% of the users do not need to deal with. In the instructions that I am putting together now I am only covering:

- Will leave the motors in HARD enable, as that is how most people use it anyway.
- Will not use the cable disconnect feature.
- Will only cover using the Acorn Axis enable to enable the board, as it works great and does not require additional wiring and configuration.

The features not covered will only be covered in the manual and considered as advanced features.
-Mike Richards
Richards

Post by Richards »

After receiving Arturo's email, I changed setup from what I first listed to this:

C86ACCP Setup

2. All Active Axis jumpered “Off”

3. Set Acorn Enable jumper “On”

4. Left factory jumper wire on terminal block next to Acorn Enable jumper

6. Connected C86ACCP N/O terminal to Acorn Input 1 (Drive_Ok)

11. Restarted Acorn

14. Acorn detected fault

SUMMARY: Arturo's suggestions worked perfectly for me. I only changed jumpers from their factory settings from HARD to SOFT and Acorn Enable from OFF to ON. So far, the C86ACCP seems to be a very good addition for my ClearPath servos.
-Mike Richards
martyscncgarage

Richards wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:27 pm After receiving Arturo's email, I changed setup from what I first listed to this:

C86ACCP Setup

2. All Active Axis jumpered “Off”

3. Set Acorn Enable jumper “On”

4. Left factory jumper wire on terminal block next to Acorn Enable jumper

6. Connected C86ACCP N/O terminal to Acorn Input 1 (Drive_Ok)

11. Restarted Acorn

14. Acorn detected fault

SUMMARY: Arturo's suggestions worked perfectly for me. I only changed jumpers from their factory settings from HARD to SOFT and Acorn Enable from OFF to ON. So far, the C86ACCP seems to be a very good addition for my ClearPath servos.
Thanks for working on the CO SDSK and CNC4PC's interface board to Acorn solution and sharing your results Mike!

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Richards

Post by Richards »

Arturo just updated the documentation for the C86ACCP board. Be sure to download the new User Manual. It explains the purpose of each jumper set on the board and it clearly shows how to connect the C86ACCP to an Acorn. He has also created a new report that you can use as a guide. I restored his report, changed the settings to match my Acorn's configuration, and ran some tests. Works perfectly.

If you're considering adding a C86ACCP to your system, buy one. Using the C86ACCP will save me up to 40 DIN rail terminal blocks. If I ever need both a slave axis and an A axis, the board allows me to do that (5-motors instead of a maximum of 4 motors without the C86ACCP). Arturo was very responsive in answering my questions. His updates to the documentation make using the board a simple process.

Just one note of caution. The board allows you to use the Teknic data cables without modification. That means that you plug one end of the data cable into the ClearPath servo's socket and the other end of the data cable into one of the C86ACCP's sockets. Remember the warning in the ClearPath manual about adding a resistor for long cable runs. IF you have too much electrical noise, you'll need to splice resistors into your cable as directed by the Teknic ClearPath manual. I'm using the 10-foot Teknic data cables. I have NOT experienced any noise problems on my test benches, so I have NOT added any resistors. On the test benches, the motors work perfectly. I've tested the board with two Acorn's. On one bench I use a V3 Acorn with an SDSK-2310S-RLN servo and an SDSK-3421P-RLN servo. On the other test bench I use a V4 Acorn with three SDSK-2321S-RLN servos.
-Mike Richards