Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Ethernet VS USB

Post by Dave_C »

Look, you went with some info that was not right, and rather than saying "yeah, i was wrong", now you are trying to deflect to something else.
We all are wrong sometimes, and there is no shame in it.
The information I posted was for USB 2.0 and was copied from an internet article!

So why the attack on me?

I didn't say anything about the Thunderbolt specs you posted and as far as I know Thunderbolt is an Apple only spec?

This was only intended to get some info out there on Ethernet Verses USB and now it has turned into a personal attack on an old man who has been retired for over 6 years.

Dave C.
Last edited by Dave_C on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Ethernet VS USB

Post by swissi »

Dave_C,

your suggestion to follow Centroid's recommendation in general is definitely not a bad advice. Your contribution to this forum have been valuable and I hope you will reconsider your decision.

For those reading this thread wanting to know if an USB to Ethernet adapter will work with the Acorn, I'll try to give a helpful answer:

Centroid does not support an Acorn connection via USB to Ethernet Adapter. If you have any Acorn connectivity issues, you need to follow the recommendations listed in Tech Bulletin #270

That said, there are several members on this forum that are using an USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter without any problems, myself included. So if you have a PC that fulfills Centroid's requirement for minimum single thread PassMark CPU performance of 1'500 but has no onboard Ethernet Adapter, you can definitely try an USB to Ethernet adapter and chances are that it will work just fine without issues. However, you need to know that this is unsupported by Centroid and if you run into any connection issues with such an adapter, you won't find much love on the forum asking for help.

Hope this helps.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com