Acorn, Clearpath, Vectric VCarve macros.

Moderator: cnckeith

Devlin
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 78047384ad00-0221191675
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn, Clearpath, Vectric VCarve macros.

Post by Devlin »

I have gotten my new machine up and running. I am now at the point of configuring the software to run with macros. I have a CNCRP4848 Pro with the Acorn board running Clearpath servos using Vectric Aspire software. Has anyone with this setup done all the macro work for Cnc12 and the Vectric toolpath code. I see the thread for toolpath optionsbut was wondering if someone has done a more specific setup. Just asking before I dig in and start the learning process. Digging through the code is confusing and the other thread does not cover the Vectric tool path code.
Gary Campbell
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Re: Acorn, Clearpath, Vectric VCarve macros.

Post by Gary Campbell »

Macros perform a specific task within the controller. Which macros are you looking to implement?

As far as Vectric products are concerned, there is a Centroid post processor, so you need to design your part, generate toolpaths, and save them using the "Centroid_Arc (inch or MM) post processor from the postP drop list.

"Load" and "Run" are all that is required.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

I have the post processor. But it seems I need to adjust it to call the macros I need. I’m looking to do a manually placed touch plate.
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

You should not need to do anything to the post P. You will need to add a tool setting macro. Here is a link to numerous versions: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1493

For the most part you will use one of 2 methods.

1) "Single Tool" This is where a portable conductive plate is used and for the most part the Z reference is set prior to file run.

2) "Multi Tool" This system uses either a portable conductive plate or a fixed location switch (sensor) and allows use of multiple tools in a single cut file. The user is prompted to change bits and his measuring option is executed after that change.

Here is a brief video showing an example of both options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqTpEXHOWPw

https://youtu.be/xqTpEXHOWPw
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

Thanks Gary,
When I first looked at the Post P I didn't see the M6 call. Now that I am back at work and stuck in a hotel I have read the whole string of the discussion and reviewed the PostP. I do see the M6 call in the Post P. Been trying to go thru the code with the M G tables to figure out what is going on.... I think I will start out with the movable plate and see how it goes. That is what I am using on my Shark HD4. I currently save a cut file for each Bit. I use Aspire and do have the option to save as a whole file with different bits. A lot to learn. Thanks for all the future to come questions
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

To use the "single tool" method just use your preference of the tool measure macros from that thread I linked to. There are some Centroid and user versions. I would follow the instructions and copy that macro code to one of the screen AUX buttons, or a pendant button if you have one.

Then I would remove the "T#M6" line from the post processor, OR make sure that you do not have a "mfunct6.mac" file in your cncm folder.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I agree with what Gary is saying. I too use Vectric software and have two post processors I created from the stock one that is included in the Vectric software. I have a "single tool" PP where I removed M6 tool change line and it starts cutting right after I set Z zero with my movable touch plate. I have a simple Z zero macro with my movable touch plate set up in one of my AUX buttons for single tool operation only.

I then have a modified "multi-tool" PP with the M6 of course that uses my movable touch plate and my fixed touch plate with a custom M6 that I modified. I save all tool paths to one file and it calls the tool changes for me and calculates the tool offset for each tool change so z zero is always the same.

As Gary suggests, I then have these two PP in the "My_PostP" folder so they are the only two that show up in the PP list in Vectric. I simply select single tool or multi-tool when I need to generate the G code.

This makes everything very easy for me and it works well.
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

The single tool post processor I figure is just deleting the M6 reference. But would you be willing to publish the Multiple Post Processor. I also gather the Vectric should do it if I save them as a multiple tool.
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

I saved a multiple tool with the standard Centroid pp and it did set up for multiple M6 tool changes.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Yes, the stock PP is setup for multi tool changes as is and yes the removal of the M6 will simply make it into a single tool PP. I have several other changes I did that are specific to my machine like turning on relay outputs for spindle coolant and dust collection and I also have a "park" position at the end of the PP that parks my machine in the rear, center of my table so I can load and unload material with the gantry out of the way. Running it another machine will not produce the same results. I also added in extra code in the PP so that I can see the tool number, tool description and toolpath on the screen when the g code is running and it requests a tool change. This helps me verify I have the right tool for the right toolpath on each M6 call.

I'd be glad to help you modify one for your machine or for what specific things you would like it to do. I'm no expert at all but I understand the PP enough to make necessary changes.