Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F6D5CF-0403180778
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Using mechanical and ZRI/Proximity switches for homing a lathe

Post by TCandee »

I just reverted back to the original .hom file and now the wizard opens. I went through the settings and found that, during the troubleshooting of ZRI homing, I had forgotten to change the setting to prevent the wizard from overwriting the .hom file. It seems that when there is a custom .hom file and this setting is set to the default, it causes issues. After changing this setting to not overwrite the .hom file and reverting back the to ZRI .hom file the issue is fixed.
TCandee
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Post by TCandee »

OMG!!! I failed to get my ZRI .hom file copied to the cnct directory, so my last post is wrong. The ZRI home file is definitely causing the fatal error when starting the wizard. with the default .hom file wizard opens. with the attached .hom file i get the fatal error when opening the wizard. I will post it here along with my report. The .hom file works as far as homing is concerned however, it is causing other issues.
Attachments
cnct.hom
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
report_3484E41C151B-0601226279_2022-11-09_14-06-58.zip
(768.37 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by ShawnM »

lavrgs wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:13 am Yes I have the manual - my quick search for 9822 did not find a result. Now I see how to get there. I think I know just enough to understand what's going on with the homing file and I believe it will work for me. The basic Key seems to be knowing the order of axis homing and direction. Thanks to the comments in the "generic" homing file it makes it easier to understand.
Thanks
I know just enough to be dangerous as well so take everything I tell you with a grain of salt. :lol: Once you understand what everything means it’s quite simple to go through and manipulate the G code to get it to do what you want. The manual is quite helpful with all of the commands and examples. Glad it helped a little and good luck.
Shawn
TCandee

Post by TCandee »

After a few hours of testing, failures and successes, I think I figured out what is going on with the fatal error. Even if I set the wizard to not overwrite my home file and then actually changing the home file, when I go back into the wizard the setting has reverted back to the default and I get the fatal error.

So what I have learned is to change the .hom file first, while CNC12 is open, then open the wizard and change the setting to not overwrite the .hom file and write the settings. If I don’t do this immediately after changing the .hom file I get the fatal error.

Hope I have made myself clear. I don’t know if this problem is only on my system but I did find a way around the issues and hopefully it will help someone. Not to mention a successful ZRIhomeall setup thanks to Chris, Shawn, Marty and others on this thread.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

That’s great news that you have successfully configured the ZRI home sequence. I was gonna mention the “over write” setting in the wizard. I’m not sure of the order in which you do things. I configure homing setup in the wizard for the machine I’m working on, let it create the home file with my settings and write settings. Then I restart and copy over my custom .hom file and have not had any issues doing it in this order.
nlebens
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by nlebens »

TCandee wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:37 pm After a few hours of testing, failures and successes, I think I figured out what is going on with the fatal error. Even if I set the wizard to not overwrite my home file and then actually changing the home file, when I go back into the wizard the setting has reverted back to the default and I get the fatal error.

So what I have learned is to change the .hom file first, while CNC12 is open, then open the wizard and change the setting to not overwrite the .hom file and write the settings. If I don’t do this immediately after changing the .hom file I get the fatal error.

Hope I have made myself clear. I don’t know if this problem is only on my system but I did find a way around the issues and hopefully it will help someone. Not to mention a successful ZRIhomeall setup thanks to Chris, Shawn, Marty and others on this thread.
Thanks for posting this - you helped me out. I ran into this issue a couple days ago while upgrading to v4.80.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

nlebens wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:03 pm
TCandee wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:37 pm After a few hours of testing, failures and successes, I think I figured out what is going on with the fatal error. Even if I set the wizard to not overwrite my home file and then actually changing the home file, when I go back into the wizard the setting has reverted back to the default and I get the fatal error.

Thanks for posting this - you helped me out. I ran into this issue a couple days ago while upgrading to v4.80.
You were also getting a fatal error?
Would really like to see a screen shot of this or better yet someone take a video of it happening and how so it can be replicated and fixed

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
TCandee

Post by TCandee »

It is possible that this error was rectified in version 4.8. When I was having the fatal error I was on 4.62 I believe. Upgraded a few days later.

I recently installed the ball screws and home/limits on the lathe. Due to the low gearing of the axis I had to slow down the feed rate to 2.5 in the home file on the lines where it is looking for the zri signal. Just be aware that the feed rate needs to be low enough for the system to be able to recognize it. Also, the feed rate in the home file on the lines where it is traveling to the home switch are ignored. The slow feed rate set in the wizard is always used.