No Heartbeat LED? DON'T BE SO QUICK TO DEBRICK!

Moderator: cnckeith

Fastest1
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: No Heartbeat LED? DON'T BE SO QUICK TO DEBRICK!

Post by Fastest1 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:59 am If you find that that there is no power LED or hearbeat LED on your Beagle Bone Green(BBG). STOP!

Don't be so quick to assume that it has died!

Do some trouble shooting procedures first:
  • 1. Disconnect the ethernet cable from Acorn
    2. If you have removable headers (Acorn Hardware Revision 3) unplug ALL but the power connector
    3. Power up Acorn and see if the power led comes on and heartbeat returns.
    4. If it DOES, then power it down and plug the Ethernet cable back into BBG and retest. If heartbeat is present, try and start CNC12 to see if it comes up (communication established)
If heartbeat DOES NOT come up with everything disconnected from Acorn, but the power led on Acorn does, then proceed to the debricking procedure.
If your BBG is dead, then you may order a Beagle Bone Green from a supplier of your choice, and then perform the debricking procedure to load the Centroid firmware back on Beaglebone.

If you have an older Acorn hardware revision, take a picture of which terminal your wires go, mark the wires and disconnect them follow the procedure outlined above.

If the Acorn heartbeat comes on and then goes off as the PC boots, disconnecting the ethernet cable may help diagnose this.

Lastly, if no heartbeat, pull BBG off the Acorn mainboard and power it up via the mini USB port on BBG as if you were going to debrick it. Does it boot up and heartbeat LED come back? If so, could be an issue with the Acorn board.

Just don't be so quick to assume BBG has died without doing basic test procedures first. I have been through about a dozen+ Acorn builds and haven't had one go bad on me yet. But I have had the heartbeat not come on, and found it was something OTHER than BBG.

Marty
I cant believe something as simple as unplugging the Ethernet would work but it sure did. Not really sure why I lost the heartbeat but I was wiring live. Thanks
1st Acorn project. G0704/BDTools/Hoss Conversion De"maching"
Leadshine MX 3660
Repurposed above Acorn (#194) and an Ethernet 1616 to a UMC-10 with an 8 position tool changer.
CNC12 Pro/Digitizing ver 4.64 (1/31/2022)
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Fastest1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:06 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:59 am If you find that that there is no power LED or hearbeat LED on your Beagle Bone Green(BBG). STOP!

Don't be so quick to assume that it has died!

Do some trouble shooting procedures first:
  • 1. Disconnect the ethernet cable from Acorn
    2. If you have removable headers (Acorn Hardware Revision 3) unplug ALL but the power connector
    3. Power up Acorn and see if the power led comes on and heartbeat returns.
    4. If it DOES, then power it down and plug the Ethernet cable back into BBG and retest. If heartbeat is present, try and start CNC12 to see if it comes up (communication established)
If heartbeat DOES NOT come up with everything disconnected from Acorn, but the power led on Acorn does, then proceed to the debricking procedure.
If your BBG is dead, then you may order a Beagle Bone Green from a supplier of your choice, and then perform the debricking procedure to load the Centroid firmware back on Beaglebone.

If you have an older Acorn hardware revision, take a picture of which terminal your wires go, mark the wires and disconnect them follow the procedure outlined above.

If the Acorn heartbeat comes on and then goes off as the PC boots, disconnecting the ethernet cable may help diagnose this.

Lastly, if no heartbeat, pull BBG off the Acorn mainboard and power it up via the mini USB port on BBG as if you were going to debrick it. Does it boot up and heartbeat LED come back? If so, could be an issue with the Acorn board.

Just don't be so quick to assume BBG has died without doing basic test procedures first. I have been through about a dozen+ Acorn builds and haven't had one go bad on me yet. But I have had the heartbeat not come on, and found it was something OTHER than BBG.

Marty
I cant believe something as simple as unplugging the Ethernet would work but it sure did. Not really sure why I lost the heartbeat but I was wiring live. Thanks
Did you have anything else hooked up to Acorn besides the Ethernet cable?
Beagle Bone Green protects itself if voltage is present on any pins and will not power up. Usually from miswiring outputs on older Acorns....
Or putting voltages where it doesn't belong
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Fastest1

Post by Fastest1 »

All seems well. I was hooking up some mechanical switches at the time.
Leadshine MX 3660
Repurposed above Acorn (#194) and an Ethernet 1616 to a UMC-10 with an 8 position tool changer.
martyscncgarage
CNC12: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Fastest1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:17 pm All seems well. I was hooking up some mechanical switches at the time.
Kinda goes without saying, but do not make connections to Acorn while it is energized.
I can tell you its happened more than once that it has damaged an Acorn or a stray wire hits a connection on the PCB and damages Acorn.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Fastest1

Post by Fastest1 »

I appreciate the advice. Working hot had bitten me more than once.
I seemed to have gotten lucky in this instance, or so I hope ;-)
Leadshine MX 3660
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html