Stepping through troubleshooting & configuring Acorn for a router with user Arturo

Moderator: cnckeith

Arturo Martinez
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Axis motor rotation on first RESET HOME (STEPPING THROUGH THE SETUP PROCESS)

Post by Arturo Martinez »

Hi Marty…

Something went wrong…
Refer to the photos in this Google Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/YpJpuxZmdLAA9N1C9

This is what I did:

First, for convenience, I jogged the gantry closer to me, moved the router plate a few inches to the right and lowered the router plate.

Then I hit the CYCLE START button to initialize the DRO coordinates to zeros. See second photo on the album.

I placed a ruler on the gantry to measure the movement on the X axis. See first photo on the album.

Started the Wizard and made the changes to the UNITS to metric. All Ratios changed to 25.4, including the one for the 4th axis.

Changed the Overall Turns Ratio to X, Y and Z to 5. You did not ask to change the 4th axis but I also changed that one to 5. See the 3rd photo.

Saved the configuration.

Went back to change the UNITS to Imperial, however, since it was NOT asked, I did not save this change. See 4th picture.
(This is one place where I think I messed up)

Ended the Wizard

Started CNC12

When I hit the CYCLE START button, the gantry started coming towards me but fortunately it stopped 2 inches before hitting the hard stop. AT THIS POINT I REALIZED THAT THE MACHINE WAS RUNNING PROGRAM FLANGE.CNC. See the 5th photo.

I canceled the job. See the 6th photo.

I decided to do it over again, so, I ended CNC12 and powered off the unit.

When it was back up again, I jogged the Y axis to move the gantry back about one foot.

When I hit the CYCLE START button again, Flange.cnc program started running again, so, I hit the Estop button. See the 7th photo.

Ended CNC12 and powered off the machine.

Went back to the Wizard to see the axis configuration: It was still with UNITS = Metric. See the last photo.

From here, first I wonder whether I had to update the change to Imperial.

And second, how is it that program Flange.com starts running upon hitting CYCLE START. Is it because the last thing I did on the previous session was to HOME the machine? If so, how do I recover from this condition?

I’m sorry to give you these troubles.

Arturo Martinez
Arturo Martinez

Re: Axis motor rotation on first RESET HOME (STEPPING THROUGH THE SETUP PROCESS)

Marty,
I’m a lucky guy. When the gantry started coming towards me I almost panic. It was fortunate that the program stopped running or else who knows what would had happened. After it stopped, I though that having limit switches on the X- would had been very good to have.
We are going to address this condition one way or another, right?

Thanks,
Arturo Martinez
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Remember, I am here and you are there. 😀
I also said there maybe hiccups.
If you see movement that is scary, hit the Estop. Estop must be within your reach.

Now, the reason your machine started running a program . CNC12 LOADS a program. Look above the dialog box, you'll see the name of the program.

When you FIRST power up the control READ the screen. It says MACHINE HOME NOT SET, Press Cycle start (or something Similar) The DROs will shows dashes until you press Cycle Start ONE time. Hit it again and guess what, you may run the loaded program...

So, power everything down, computer Acorn wait a minute and power it all back up again.
Jog all three axis to the middle of their travels and then, don't do anything but read the screen, then press cycle start ONE time. DROs should ZERO.

Then go back to my last message and repeat the measuring steps using MDI

Look forward to hearing your progress....
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Arturo,
One last thing. If any axis hits a hard stop, it shouldn't be the end of the world. The drive should fault before any damage occurs.
If it does, you should see a drive fault message. You'll likely have to power down the machine and power it back up to reset them.
Mesa, AZ
Arturo Martinez

Marty,

I did everything you asked and all came out OK.

One thing I did this time is to change and update the UNITS from millimeters to Imperial. Once updated, the Overall Turns Ratio was changed by the Wizard to 5.8 on all axes.

On the X axis, G01X1F5 moved the router plate one inch to the right, as expected.
On the Z axis, G01Z1F5 moved the router plate one inch up, as expected.

On the Y axis, G01Y1F5 moved the gantry towards the back 5 inches

I noticed that with on my laptop sometimes I have to quick-double-click some command buttons. Maybe that what I did on the CYCLE START button, which then -as you say, started running the loaded program.
Thank you very much. I have a birthday party to attend today so you too take a break :D
Arturo Martinez
martyscncgarage

Ok.
Y axis moved exactly 5"?
Mesa, AZ
Arturo Martinez

Hi Marty,

Yes.

I don't have a precision caliper but by using measuring tapes I can tell that it is pretty close to 5 inches.

Arturo
martyscncgarage

Arturo Martinez wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:34 pm Hi Marty,

Yes.

I don't have a precision caliper but by using measuring tapes I can tell that it is pretty close to 5 inches.

Arturo
Ok, we'll rough it in.
Tomorrow morning I'll post the steps to rough it in. You'll need at least a dial indicator and some sort of stand to get closer.
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

We are using this Centroid Tech bulletin as a GUIDE ONLY setup Overall turns ratio: http://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppor ... ads/36.pdf

More specifically:
1. For metric machine configurations the number of mm's travelled during one revolution of the
motor must be calculated.

2. Do a rough check of the current motor/ballscrew ratios using a tape measure. In MDI, type
g92 x0y0z0, and press cycle start to set the current XYZ position to 0. YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS

3. Lay a tape measure on the table with the one end at the spindle. YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS

4. In MDI issue a command of G1 X1 F10 (if metric, use X25 F250), press cycle start. Note: If
the motors do not move smoothly, press Estop and move the axis manually from to 1”(25mm) YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS for all 3 axis

5. Measure the distance the axis actually moved and set your motor revs/inch (or motor
mm's/rev if in metric) as follows: YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS WE ARE WORKING ON Y, You say it travelled 5"

6. THE CALCULATION
Go to the AXIS SETUP TAB in the Wizard

Imperial - How to compute OVERALL TURNS RATIO:
Commanded distance (DRO) / Distance moved (measured) = multiplier 1/5=.2 You commanded a 1" move but it travelled 5"
Multiplier * Current OVERALL TURNS RATIO = corrected OVERALL TURNS RATIO .2*5=1 .2 from above times current Overall Turns Ratio of 5 currently in the Y axis box, equalls your new OVERAL TURNS RATIO of 1 for the Y axis and its slave

SO, change the Y axis and Slave axis to 1 and then WRITE THE CHANGES in the Wizard.
Shut down Acorn and your computer, restart them both.
Start CNC12
Jog your axis to the middle of their travels

Your DROs should show dashes.
Read the message in the middle of the screen about homing. Follow what it says.
Then you should have ZERO's in your DROs
Lay the tape measure on the table parallel with the Y axis as that's the axis we are going to test. Make sure a pointer is pointing to say 1" on the tape measure.

Go to MDI (F3)
Type in: G01Y1F10

The Y axis should now jog the 1"

Take updated pictures of your AXIS SETUP Tab in the Wizard and post.

Let us know how it goes.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Arturo Martinez

Hi Marty,

I made the changes you requested and posted an album with the Axis Configuration new values:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GDhJBC7gaBnSoPps5

The second entry on the album is a video of running the G-Code.

I think all axes are running good now.

I'm ready for the next task.

Thanks,
Arturo