Stepping through troubleshooting & configuring Acorn for a router with user Arturo

Moderator: cnckeith

Arturo Martinez
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Axis motor rotation on first RESET HOME (STEPPING THROUGH THE SETUP PROCESS)

Post by Arturo Martinez »

Hi Marty,

I have done all the adjustments you requested.

On the NEMA34 motor drivers for the X and Y axes I noticed that you asked to change to Set SW=OFF, SW2=OFF, SW3=OFF, SW4=OFF.

These switches are what the user manual for CL86T on the internet indicates, however, that is not what the settings grid on the side of the drives I have indicate. In the Google Photo album I have included a photo of the settings I have on my drives.
Therefore I changed the switches to SW1=ON, SW2=OFF, SW3=ON, SW4=OFF, which happen to be the same as for the small drive CL57T.

So, I changed the switches, the steps/revolutions, the Overall Turns Ratio and the Homing Type.

When I started CNC12, this is what I noticed:

1. All axes run much slower. When jogging, they run at about 1/3rd the speed of when we had 1600 Steps/Rev.

2. Movement on all axes is as expected

3. For the Y-axis, when the pulley gear rotates about one full revolution, the screen indicates that the gantry traveled 3.25 inches. I jogged the Y axis one inch but the pulley gear moved about 1/3rd, so I kept guessing until I jogged it to 3.25 and the gear seem to do one full rotation.

In this regard, I added a short video of this on the album and added a few photos of the pinion/rack assembly from the manufacturer where you can see the ratios, number of teeth on the pinion and pulley gear, etc.

Since I don’t quite know what you are after with these figures, I can only ask you to please see them on the photo album.

The link to this album is:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qCHnJMr4M7cRAeFbA

For the next fine-tuning steps I saw on the internet that the pitch on the X and Z screw drivers is 5mm (in inches it would be 5/25.4 = 0.19685”)

Please let me know whether I missed anything on this session.

Thank you,

Arturo

martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Axis motor rotation on first RESET HOME (STEPPING THROUGH THE SETUP PROCESS)

Post by martyscncgarage »

What we are trying to establish is that the drive steps per revolution is set correctly and configured correctly in the Wizard. When I asked you to change the Overall Turns ratio to 1, and then command a 1" move, your MOTOR PULLEY should have turned ONE revolution on each axis. Your video clip shows the driven pulley turing one revolution after calling a 3.25" move.

I need you to verify that with all drives set at 4000 steps per revolution, each axis motor is turing ONE revolution (and in the correct direction) when you command a 1" move. Then we can engage the pinions to the racks and the drive belts or couplings to the screws and test homing and rough set the Overall Turns ratio for each axis to move the axis the commanded distance.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Are your X and Z axis motors direct driving your 5mm ballscrews or is there pulley reduction?
Mesa, AZ
Arturo Martinez

Hi Marty,

I went back to the machine, did not change any of the setting I sent you yesterday and repeated the test:

• All motors are rotating in the correct direction.

• On G0X1 the screw gets one full rotation and the router plate moves 5mm going RIGHT and the screen shows X is at 1.0000
• On G0X0 the screw gets one full rotation and the router plate moves 5mm going LEFT and the screen shows X is at 0.0000

• On G0Y1 the motor shaft gets one full rotation; the screen shows Y is at 1.0000. The rotation is such that it would move the gantry towards the back. I cannot tell how much the gantry would move because the gears are dis-engaged.
• On G0Y0 the motor shaft gets one full rotation; the screen shows Y is at 0.0000. The rotation is such that it would move the gantry towards the front.

• On G0Z1 the screw gets one full rotation and the router plate moves 5mm going UP and the screen shows Z is at 1.0000
• On G0Z0 the screw gets one full rotation and the router plate moves 5mm going DOWN and the screen shows Z is at 0.0000

Only the Y axis has a pinion-rack drive. The motors on X and Z are directly connected to the ball-screws.

If you like these results, can I now engage the pinion-rack gears?

Thank you,

Arturo Martinez
martyscncgarage

Yes. Re-engage all axis motors
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

In slow jog, verify the spindle moves in correct direction for each axis.
Z- down
X+ right
Y+ rear
Mesa, AZ
Arturo Martinez

Marty,

I engaged the pinion-rack gears and re-ran the test:

On slow jog, all axes movements go in the correct direction.

Now that the Y axis is actually moving I can see that a command G0Y1 actually moves the gantry one inch towards the back.

Once the test was done, I took the liberty to do a RESET HOME:
Very slowly, Z went to the limit switch at the top; Y went to the back, up to the limit switch and then... X started moving to the right. Since there is no limit switch on the right side I hit the RESET button to terminate the Reset Home.

I guess we still have some fine tuning to do...

Thanks,
Arturo Martinez
martyscncgarage

Arturo Martinez wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:51 pm Marty,

I engaged the pinion-rack gears and re-ran the test:

On slow jog, all axes movements go in the correct direction.

Now that the Y axis is actually moving I can see that a command G0Y1 actually moves the gantry one inch towards the back.

Once the test was done, I took the liberty to do a RESET HOME:
Very slowly, Z went to the limit switch at the top; Y went to the back, up to the limit switch and then... X started moving to the right. Since there is no limit switch on the right side I hit the RESET button to terminate the Reset Home.

I guess we still have some fine tuning to do...

Thanks,
Arturo Martinez
The home program is not correct yet. DO NOT HOME THE MACHINE.

When you press the buttons on the Virtual Control Panel:
Z- spindle goes DOWN
Y+ Gantry/Spindle goes to the back
X+ Spindle moves to the RIGHT or does it move to the LEFT?
Mesa, AZ
Arturo Martinez

Marty,

The answer to your questions are in BOLD:

When you press the buttons on the Virtual Control Panel:
Z- spindle goes DOWN YES
Y+ Gantry/Spindle goes to the back YES
X+ Spindle moves to the RIGHT or does it move to the LEFT? RIGHT

Arturo Martinez
martyscncgarage

OK,
Let's setup X & Z Overall Turns Ratio in the Wizard

Open the Wizard and go to the AXIS configuration Tab.
At the top of the page under UNITS CHANGE to Metric

Go to X Overall Turns Ratio and insert 5 (You said you had 5MM Pitch ball screws, with motors coupled DIRECTLY to the screws)
Go to Z Overall Turns Ration and insert 5 (You said you had 5MM Pitch ball screws, with motors coupled DIRECTLY to the screws)
In Y insert 5 to start with something (it will be wrong but this is a good exercise to show)

Set the
Save the configuration in the Wizard.
At the top of the page under UNITS, Change back to Imperial

Start up CNC12.

DO NOT PRESS RESET HOME, PRESS the GREEN CYCLE START button on the lower right of the Virtual Control Panel.
DROs should Zero out. (AXIS WILL NOT MOVE as we have SIMPLE home setup in the Wizard yet)

Lay a tape measure parallel to the X axis on the table. Tape a piece of wire to the Spindle plate so to make a pointer.
Set the pointer at a know value on the tape, say point it at 1"
Go into MDI (F3) type this in:
G01X1F5
Then press Cycle Start. Did the pointer move one inch?

Then, turn the tape measure parallel with the Y axis. Same thing, set the pointer to 1" on the tape measure.
Go into MDI (F3) and type this in:
G01Y1F5
Then press Cycle Start. TELL ME how far the Y axis traveled as closely as you can.

Z is tricky, dependent on where Z is, will decide which direction you go.
You will have to mark the Z axis so you can see how far it travels.
For example, if you visually can see there as an inch of travel available above Z, then go in the POSITIVE direction:
G01Z1F5
Then press Cycle Start. Tell me how far the Z axis traveled. Should be up 1"

If you visually can see there as an inch of travel available below Z, then go in the NEGATIVE direction:
G01Z-1F5
Then press Cycle Start. Tell me how far the Z axis traveled. Should be down 1"

Report back.....
Marty
Mesa, AZ