Stepping through troubleshooting & configuring Acorn for a router with user Arturo

Moderator: cnckeith

Arturo Martinez
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Axis motor rotation on first RESET HOME (STEPPING THROUGH THE SETUP PROCESS)

Post by Arturo Martinez »

OK Marty,

I'll replace the home/limit switches to be only one for each axis as you requested, however I think this is going to take a little while; I'll send you another posting with photos when it is done (maybe by Tuesday).

Thank you,

Arturo
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Axis motor rotation on first RESET HOME (STEPPING THROUGH THE SETUP PROCESS)

Post by martyscncgarage »

Arturo Martinez wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:38 pm OK Marty,

I'll replace the home/limit switches to be only one for each axis as you requested, however I think this is going to take a little while; I'll send you another posting with photos when it is done (maybe by Tuesday).

Thank you,

Arturo
That's fine Arturo.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Arturo Martinez

Marty,
This is the link created by Google Photos for the pictures I took yesterday once the tasks were done. This includes the Diagnostics screen shots.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eZ3Ks1moPjPsV5C17

I included the photo with the messages that appear right after I start CNC12. Maybe these messages will be gone once I replace the limit switches as you asked.

Thanks again,
Arturo
martyscncgarage

Perfect.
This post will stay.....for others to learn from.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Arturo Martinez

Hi Marty,

I have changed the limit switches as you requested.
I removed the ones on the Y slave side and placed one on the main Y+ side. For X and Z, I only re-wired the ones on X- and Z+.
From each switch, I carried the NC and COM wires to the Acorn board and right by it I serialized the wires and made the connections to IN1 and COM. You can see this by zooming on the board photo.

Even though I wanted to use shielded wire I could not find it at local stores and in Amazon I could only find rolls too big and expensive, thus I just used the reqular wire I used for all other wiring. Later on I'll change to the shielded wire.

I turned on Acorn to take more pictures and I noticed that right at startup the limit switch tripping still happens. Jogging on X+ moves the router's plate to the left. No changes were made to the system configuration.

The new Google Photo album link is: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GLpkT7uEfD7ErsUX7

I'm ready for what ever needs to be tested/changed next...

Thank you,
Arturo
martyscncgarage

The fact that Input 1 in the far upper left corner of the diagnositic screen is green is good.
Don't worry about the messages showing tripped and cleared. Thats ok.

Now I want you to use the Virtual control panel Axis Jog buttons. (DO NOT HOME THE MACHINE)
Simply, press Z-, does the router plate GO down?
Press Z+ does the router plate go UP?
Press X+, does the router plate move to the right?
Press X- does the route rplate move to the left?
Press Y-, does the gantry come towards you?
Press Y+ does the gantry move to the back?

If you disengaged any motors, then note the rotation of the pulleys. Would they move the router as described above?

Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Arturo,
I think the use of single wires is going to cause you some trouble. Just be aware of that.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Arturo Martinez

Good morning Marty,

Here are the responces to your questions:

Simply, press Z-, does the router plate GO down? YES
Press Z+ does the router plate go UP? YES
Press X+, does the router plate move to the right? NO
Press X- does the router plate move to the left? NO
Press Y-, does the gantry come towards you? YES As you know, there is no actual movement on the gantry but by looking at the pinion rotation I can derive that it is coming towards me.
Press Y+ does the gantry move to the back? YES Ditto. Also I verified that the Y-motors are still rotating in opposite direction. Good!

However, I went back to the Wizard axis configuration and changed the Direction Reversal on axis X from N to Y and now it is going to the correct direction.
This is the link to the Google Photo album showing the before and after of the Axis configuration Wizard panel:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6EZf82SbxEAMGghb8

I believe the JOG movement is working correctly now.
Because I have not done it yet with these changes, I still don't know what will happen when I command to do the HOME RESET function. I still would like to have the HOME set at the FRONT-LEFT corner but I am receptive to what ever you indicate.

In regards to the "simple" wire instead of the shielded one, I noticed that the wires from the motor encoder came in a shielded wire extension of only 5 Ft and thus I used "simple" wires (6 of them for each motor) to reach the control cabinet (a total of 70 Ft for each motor) so in the end I may have to get about 220 Ft or so of shielded wire... It's going to be a while before I replace all these wires. In the mean time, what should I be looking for in the case there is a problem?

What is next? (I'm not pushing you... I'm retired and currently this is my first priority project, which I understan is not the same with you.)

Thank you,
Arturo
martyscncgarage

Wait for it.....
:D
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Good you reversed the axis in the Wizard that needed reversing.

We will now setup your axis drives and STEPS/REVOLUTION in the Wizard.

Lets set your drives all to 4000 CPR

On your Z axis with the CL57T:
Set SW1=ON, SW2=OFF, SW3=ON, SW4=OFF

On your X/Y Axis with the CL86T:
Set SW=OFF, SW2=OFF, SW3=OFF, SW4=OFF

Once you have done this, go into the Wizard AXIS CONFIGURATION TAB and set Steps/Revolution for X/Y/Z to 4000
I would like you to also set the OVERALL TURNS RATIO from 5 to 1 in the Wizard for testing.
Also set HOMING TYPE to SIMPLE HOME

Write the settings and then start CNC12
Verify that you can jog each axis, and they still move in the proper direction.
Then press the Green CYCLE START Button on the lower right corner of the Virtual Control Panel

This should zero out the Digital Read Outs (DROs)
Put a mark on each MOTOR pulley for reference. We want to be able to see how many turns the motor makes.
(THESE NEXT TESTS SHOULD BE DONE WITH THE MOTORS DISCONNECTED FROM THE MACHINE)

Press F3 MDI
Type in G0X1 in the MDI box either be ready to watch the motor pulley or have someone watch the X axis motor pulley, then press CYCLE START and note how many rotations the motor pulley turns. It SHOULD turn one full revolution.

Then type in the MDI Box G0X0, press Cycle start, the X axis motor pulley should turn the opposite direction one full turn.

Repeat for Y:
Type G0Y1 and observe the Y axis (and Y axis SLAVE motor pulley), press Cycle Start. They should both turn one full rotation each, one opposite the other. Should turn ONE full revolution
Type G0Y0 and observe the Y axis motor pulleys, press Cycle Start. The pulleys should both turn one full revolution back to where they started.

Repeat for Z:
Type G0Z-1 and observe the Z axis, press Cycle Start. The Z axis motor pulley should turn one full revolution
Type G0Z0 and observe the Z axis, press Cycle Start. The Z axis motor pulley should turn one full revolution in the opposite direction.

Do the above and report back.
-------------------------------------------------------
Do you know the PITCH of your X and Z axis ball screws?
The number of teeth on your motor pulley and driven pulleys on the X and Y axis?
We will use that information for the next steps.

Marty
Mesa, AZ