Stepping through troubleshooting & configuring Acorn for a router with user Arturo

Moderator: cnckeith

Arturo Martinez
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Stepping through troubleshooting & configuring Acorn for a router with user Arturo

Post by Arturo Martinez »

On Marty’s video “Centroid Acorn CNC Basics - Wiring a Leadshine Closed Loop Stepper” https://youtu.be/FQG0R1g-QRo where he shows how to wire these kind of motors, he has only one motor in his demo. I installed 4 of them and thus I end up with 4 fault wires, one from each encoder. Not knowing any better, I connected these to IN5, IN6, IN7 and IN8 for axis X, Y, Z and the paired motor, respectively. I wonder whether these connections are tripping the limit switches indicated above on 1a thru 1d. Please advise.
Attachments
report_38D2694C67E2-0621181009_2018-09-13_14-14-26.zip
(180.33 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
20180913_155038.jpg
20180913_152452.jpg
20180913_152239.jpg
20180913_151425.jpg
20180913_150517.jpg
20180913_150407.jpg
20180913_150301.jpg
20180913_145805.jpg
Arturo Martinez

Re: Axis motor rotation on first RESET HOME

Pictures not loaded on the previous posting:

NOTE:
I tried to post 9 pictures here that did not load on the previous posting.
However I can see that only 3 will load.
All pictures were taken with the same smallest resolution with my phone.

By looking at the pictures that you can see plus the report and my description, I assume that you got an idea of I have.

It is very frustrating not getting to post all pictures, so if you need any more, let me know what you need and we'll see how you can get them.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you very much.
Attachments
20180913_151637.jpg
20180913_151442.jpg
20180913_150544.jpg
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Please post a screen shot of your AXIS config. You should also post a report from your CNC control Its in the UTILITY menu.
Then we can look to see how you have your machine setup.
All easily fixed since you have movement in all axis. (combination of motor reversal, and the direction your machine homes)
Please clarify, you want the router motor to the FRONT LEFT of your table correct? Many router guys will say they don't like it homing this way (Y-), they would rather have it home Y+ so they can load a sheet on the table without the gantry in the way.

In the mean time, look at this photo:
Mill-Router Coordinates.jpg
Mill-Router Coordinates.jpg (12.08 KiB) Viewed 14033 times
Please also describe where your limit switches are
X- should be on the LEFT side of your gantry
Y- should be on the FRONT of your table (Y+ should be at the BACK of your table if you want to home that way)
Z+ should be at the TOP of your Z axis

You are close, we'll help get you closer....
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

the photo of the wizard i/o map shows no inputs are defined for inputs 1-4 and 6-8 but you have wires connected to some of these inputs.
what are the wires connected to the inputs?
do you have estop? home switches on the machine? what type are they?
are the wires going into the inputs in the photo drive faults? if so, you can save on inputs by wiring all the drive faults into one input.
if drive fault signals are NO (normally open) wire them in parallel into one input, if they are NC (normally closed) wire them in series into one input. and be sure to use the wizard i/o map to tell Acorn CNC12 which input you are using for drive ok/fault

for home switches use "HomeAll" and wire X, Y, Z into one input and use the wizard to set them input to "HomeAll" this tells CNC12 to expect all of the home switches to be wired into one input.
home all schematic.PNG

you have Input 5 is set to Estop OK do you have a estop wired into this input?

i'll wait for you to answer marty's questions before commenting further. post screen shots of all the wizard screens.
the easiest way is to use the built in "snipping" tool that comes with Windows 10. just type "snip" in the search bar and it comes right up..
snip.PNG
if you are having trouble posting photos to the forum a simple solution is to put all your cnc photos on a google photo album and post a link to the Album here, this is actually preferred since its easy for you to add photos, edit photos for us to comment on them etc and the link to them stays the same.
Attachments
google photos.PNG
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Arturo Martinez

Keith,
Right after I talked to you I re-typed my response to Marty's request.
It included one page of text, the report.zip and 3 word documnets with pictures within them.
Then I hit the submit button.

Then I go back to my postings on this topic and I cannot see what I just submitted.

What is going on???

Do I have to re-do this again, for the third time?
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

i don't know why you are having trouble with the forum. i would need a much better description of the problem to diagnose.
you can always email directly to me.
or post the docs and photos on a third party services like Google Drive and Google Photos and simple put the link here and we will check it out.

it appears you simply have some basic switch and axis settings not configured properly and all your issues are a result of that.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Arturo Martinez

Ok,
I'll terminate the browser and start over again.

If it does not work again, I'll send the report and word documents to you.

Am I the only one having these problems? This is not acceptable at all!

Arturo Martinez
Arturo Martinez

Hi Marty... thanks for helping me out.
I attached all you requested. I had to put the pictures within word documents, which allowed me to add a bit of text.

The report is also included.

I also want to confirm that the position of the table HOME is to be at the FRONT-LEFT corner. On the picture of the Limit Switches, the FRONT of the table is where the laptop is.

Please remember that I have all these issues:
1. Movement along all axes when I command to move in the positive direction. I can take it as it is now for the Z axis but not for the X and Y.
2. Limit switches tripping when starting from a complete OFF condition as I explained on yesterday posting.
3. Connectivity of the four Fault signal wires.
4. Opinion for improvement on the overall design and construction of the machine.

This is the third time I type all of the above. I hope Marty that get it this time.

Thank you,
Arturo Martinez
Attachments
Limit switches.docx
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 323 times
Axis configuration.docx
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 323 times
Acorn connections.docx
(2.4 MiB) Downloaded 296 times
(180.33 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

we got it..

1.) i don't understand the issue description stated. please describe better the issue you are having or post a video of it. i think you are saying you can't move the X and Y axes? if so, you probably have a limit switch tripped message in the cnc12 dialog box?

2.) for the home switches use "HomeAll" and wire X, Y, Z home switches into one input and use the wizard to set the input to "HomeAll" this tells CNC12 to expect all of the home switches to be wired into one input. use the provided home all schematic. typically input 1 is used for "HomeAll". are your switches NO or NC? we like NC home/limit switches. set the wizard accordingly so it know what type of switch input to expect.

3.) wire all the drive faults into one input (this input is typically input 5). if drive fault signals are NO (normally open) wire them in parallel into one input, if they are NC (normally closed) wire them in series into one input. and be sure to use the wizard i/o map to tell Acorn CNC12 which input you are using for drive ok/fault, (use #5) you can see a nice example of this if you take a look at the Acorn Clearpath schematic

4.) put estop on its own input just like you see in many of the Acorn hook up schematics. typically input 8 is used for estop. move the estop input separate from the drive faults.. these are not the same thing and need to be on different inputs. use the wizard to define input 8 as estop.
Arturo Martinez

Keith,
The last (third) posting went thru, however all the attachments show as "Not downloaded yet" even though they all had a green check mark under column STATUS when I loaded them into the posting edit session.

So, did they go thru, that is, can someone actually see them?

On the Attachment window, each document line has a button named "Place inline". What is this for? On previous postings that successfully send a photo I never had to hit this button.

For the sake of keep going, I'm sending these attachments to you on your gmail address.

Arturo Martinez
Attachments
Limit switches.docx
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 223 times
Axis configuration.docx
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 235 times
Acorn connections.docx
(2.4 MiB) Downloaded 230 times
(180.33 KiB) Downloaded 219 times