Tuning and Calibrating Spindle Speed with a VFD (inverter)

Moderator: cnckeith

cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Tuning and Calibrating Spindle Speed with a VFD (inverter)

Post by cnckeith »

toymakerSKC wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:58 am Thank You Uwe
I'm heading to the shop at about an hour and should have better information when I return.
Regards,
Steve
Steve,
hello. we re tested with your report.zip here on our end and could not find any issues with CNC12/plc/wizard .
a review in general for VCP spindle operations...

When entering manual mode, CNC12 does not turn on the spindle if it was already off (No M3/M4 Commanded).
If M3/M4 was commanded, CNC12 does reduce speed when going into manual. (This is intended)
tested the Start/Stop buttons appear to function correctly and continue to work.
Going back to Auto mode has CNC12 restore what ever the last command was (M3/M4/M5).
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
toymakerSKC
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C122600
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by toymakerSKC »

Uwe and CNCSNW
I went to my shop today to work on the Brake / VFD problem. I opened Wizard to ensure all Inputs and Outputs were properly defined. I open the I/O tables and verified that the Brake and the Spindle Forward and Spindle Reverse commands were in the proper output location. Then I went through all the outputs, selecting each VCP Field one a time, verifying that the output would actually energize. I noted inconsistent output indications when testing outputs controlled by the VCP. As an example, with Spindle in Manual, turning on and off Spindle Break, sometimes Spindle Output would be energized, other times it would be de-energized. This appeared to be completely random. Other observations included, Work Light working properly, Missed Cooling, and Flood Cooling never energizing. Using the MDI, I manually entered appropriate M-codes, and pressed run for each output, in every case the appropriate output energized.
I concluded that the virtual control panel files may be corrupt. As a last resort I uninstalled version 5.02 and then reinstall it. Using my snippet images, I reconfigured the wizard (a real pain in the ass). Now the Spindle Break, Spindle Forward and Spindle Reverse all appeared to be operating correctly. The buttons on the VCP that control Missed Cooling, and Flood Cooling do not work. Manually entering M07 and M08 via the MDI clause outputs to work as expected. Also as others have noted, on the VCP, the Limits Switch Bypass is not functioning.

FYI
My system is a very basic configuration. This is an upgrade of a Bridgeport Series II Boss 6 CNC Milling Machine (with the exception of limmit switches, all control hardware has been removed). New hardware includes an All-In-One Touchscreen PC (with specifications that meet Centroid’s requirements), Wireless Keyboard, and wired USB Mouse. I am not using Pendants, X-Keys, or a Gaming Console. Servo drives are DMM DYN4, all motors are DMM 750 oz,/in. VFD is DURApulse GS20 from Automation Direct.

In closing; again I want to thank Scott, Uwe and CNCSNW for their assistance, without their help I would still be struggling. Now I have to delve into the VCP to discover what’s preventing Missed Cooling, and Flood Cooling buttons from working.
Regards,
Steve
toymakerSKC
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C122600

Post by toymakerSKC »

cnckeith
Per my last post I have resolved Manual Spindle Start-Stop issue by uninstalling and reinstalling CNC 12 Mill version 5.02, followed by a complete system reboot. At this point the only remaining known problems are with the Virtual Control Panel. Missed Cooling, Flood Cooling, and Limit Switch Bypass button fields to not operate correctly (at all). I will tackle this problem for future.
The good news is that I was able to cut a very simple part using InterCon. And today (Saturday) I will attempt to run a similar Fusion 360 designed part. Hopefully all will go well.
Keith thanks for your support.
Regards,
Steve
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

Limit Defeat is the only bug I know in 5.02, but easy to fix.

I am running 5.02 on mill and lathe without problems...

Uwe