Acorn ATC Overview....Updated 2-26-24

Moderator: cnckeith

Centroid_Tech

Re: Acorn ATC Overview

Post by Centroid_Tech »

I'm glad that setting up the turret was easy. The virtual control should be working. Did you not use the Wizard to set all of your settings prior to getting the items for your turret? If not, then that explains why your VCP isn't working. All you have to do is set parameter 219 to 1 and then reboot the system. From the main screen, press F1(Setup)->F3(Config)->F3(Params).

All of the logic for the PLC program is in the acorn-turret.src file which is stored in the main c:\cnct directory.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
Mstcnc
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Mstcnc »

This one got me stumped.
I can repeat problem very simply by copying ATC files.

I have set everything in wizard and can get VCP to show, BUT instantly when I copy ATC files in cnct folder and reboot acorn and restart CNC12 then VCP is missing.
P219 is 1
In this state if I exit from CNC12 and open wizard, there in "operator control peripheral and VCP setup" page Virtual Control Panel setting is NO
If I change setting to YES ans save (+restart acorn and cnc12) VCP will show but atc will not work.

Any clue what is cause of this?

Kind regards Mika
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Please email support@centroidcnc.com with your TeamViewer ID and password so that I can log onto your system and see what's going on.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
TCandee
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F6D5CF-0403180778
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by TCandee »

Very glad to hear that ATC is going to be incorporated into the wizard. I started designing an ATC and realized I did not know how to set it up for the acorn or whether I would have enough inputs and outputs to do it. I am very new to all of this and learning is a slow painful process. I’ll be watching. Thank you!!!
bmilam

Post by bmilam »

Any guess on time frame when the ATC might be incorporated into the Wizard? I'm needing to configure mine but I have to learn the PLC/Macro and wondering if this might become available in the near future so I could wait until then?
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC12: Yes

Post by Gary Campbell »

Bobby...
What are you needing the wizard for? The Macro folder that is circulating should have most of what is needed, other than your actual tool bin locations.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
bmilam

Post by bmilam »

The rack mount ATC macro seems pretty straight forward and I believe that I can edit that for what I need. When I set parameters in CNC 12 for ATC, I tried to open the tool bins and it mentioned something about changing the PLC. There wasn't a PLC in that file to work with so wasn't sure if I use a PLC that was in one of the other files or what. I'm learning as I go and just don't want to screw something up.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

simple rack mount ATC's typically do not require any PLC mods.. its all in the macro....so all you do is use the PLC that is automatically generated by the Wizard. and edit the rack mount macro to suit your machine. post a fresh report.zip for tech support.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
bmilam

Post by bmilam »

Thanks for the response. I had misunderstood about needing the PLC and bins. I will have a chance to give it a shot in a couple of days.
HoY
CNC12: Yes

Post by HoY »

Can I ask a noob-question?
I'm not completely new to CNC, but the reason I switched to acorn is I dont want to learn to program any new language. Aside from basic g-code, my programming skills are very very low.
With that in mind, I want to use the forked rack mount ATC macro in this file.

The question I have is here:
G53 G1 Z[#100] F10 ; Move Z down to the tool rack
                                                        ; put incremental movement here to move to engage finders

What is it expecting me to enter in the empty line here?
a simple gcode command to move the X axis +2 to engage the forks? or is it more than that?

I have another question, still ATC related, but perhaps not directly related to this macro.
I have a tool library of over 40 tools, but I only have space for 15 forks.
How hard would it be to have the software go pick up any called tools, but if a tool that is called for is not on the rack, it would move the gantry to a pre-defined location and instructs me to do a manual tool change, then "cycle start" to continue where it left off?

(in this example, my tool probe is tool 1, not left on the rack, while 2 through 16 will be on the rack and everything else will be manually changed)