Quick Tip: IF you have Home/Limit Switches, here is an example and description on setting them up

Moderator: cnckeith

Threedj16
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F23AFF-0213180659
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Quick Tip: IF you have Home/Limit Switches, here is an example and description on setting them up

Post by Threedj16 »

Quick question. With the new CNC12, using the homeall and series homing switches, they now act as limit switches too. Problem is with my Emco PC turn 55, the homing switch is way out in front of the chuck. Wasn't going to be a problem (in the last version) as my soft limits covered the limits, and fixed switches weren't hurt running through them (due to the nature of the way the emco Z trips). Is there an easy way to turn off home switches being limits? Can I just turn them off in my home routine and leave them off or will something turn them back on? Since this was a general software question, I don't see where my report file and build setup matters. Just curious if I comment out the section on the .hom file turning the limits back on, will that keep them like the old method (so I can just use soft limits). Otherwise, I'll have to modify appendage which trips the switch. Actually think I may have answered my own question.....LOL. Just leave it off in the home file. Ok, sometimes it helps just to type it out.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Quick Tip: IF you have Home/Limit Switches, here is an example and description on setting them up

Post by martyscncgarage »

Threedj16 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:09 pm Quick question. With the new CNC12, using the homeall and series homing switches, they now act as limit switches too. Problem is with my Emco PC turn 55, the homing switch is way out in front of the chuck. Wasn't going to be a problem (in the last version) as my soft limits covered the limits, and fixed switches weren't hurt running through them (due to the nature of the way the emco Z trips). Is there an easy way to turn off home switches being limits? Can I just turn them off in my home routine and leave them off or will something turn them back on? Since this was a general software question, I don't see where my report file and build setup matters. Just curious if I comment out the section on the .hom file turning the limits back on, will that keep them like the old method (so I can just use soft limits). Otherwise, I'll have to modify appendage which trips the switch. Actually think I may have answered my own question.....LOL. Just leave it off in the home file. Ok, sometimes it helps just to type it out.
I'm a little confused. what exactly is the issue with using the switch as a home limit? (Did you go in to the Wizard drop down and look at the choices?)
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Not a issue, but my home switch is several inches in front of my chuck. So if the home is a limit, then i can never get close to the chuck to do work.
martyscncgarage

Threedj16 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:36 pm Not a issue, but my home switch is several inches in front of my chuck. So if the home is a limit, then i can never get close to the chuck to do work.
I understand. Can you shorten up the "bolt" that trips the switch any?
Did you look at your input choices in the Wizard?
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:07 pm
Threedj16 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:36 pm Not a issue, but my home switch is several inches in front of my chuck. So if the home is a limit, then i can never get close to the chuck to do work.
I have to use the homeall due to limited inputs (dual homing, turret, drive fault and such). With the last version, homeall worked as I could set my soft limit in front of the home (not a problem). Plus it's all wired in series already. But I will look and see if there is a homeall version without being a limit. You know all the custom PLC stuff I have, so I don't like pulling up the wizard....LOL.

But yeah, my two choices would be shorten the trip rod (which I'd rather not do, I like to leave home out for enough from chuck to avoid any tool conflicts or stock issues). Second choice is leave the switches as limits turned off in the .hom file. Going to try option two first.
Last edited by Threedj16 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage

Threedj16 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:29 pm
I have to use the homeall due to limited inputs (dual homing, turret, drive fault and such). With the last version, homeall worked as I could set my soft limit in front of the home (not a problem). Plus it's all wired in series already. But I will look and see if there is a homeall version without being a limit. You know all the custom PLC stuff I have, so I don't like pulling up the wizard....LOL.

But yeah, my two choices would be shorten the trip rod (which I'd rather not do, I like to leave home out for enough from chuck to avoid any tool conflicts or stock issues). Second choice is leave the switches as limits turned off in the .hom file. Going to try option two first.

-Jasen
OK. You are running into the limited IO issue. There is no other option for that input that I know of.
I know what you are talking about, the PC50 I have does the same thing. I think its more traditional to home the lathe to the tailstock end of the chuck....but not as convenient to get a switch there. Then you could set the Z soft limit where appropriate.
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:37 pm
Threedj16 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:29 pm

OK. You are running into the limited IO issue. There is no other option for that input that I know of.
I know what you are talking about, the PC50 I have does the same thing. I think its more traditional to home the lathe to the tailstock end of the chuck....but not as convenient to get a switch there. Then you could set the Z soft limit where appropriate.
Yup, exactly. I thought your PC50's were set up the same way. I could probably figure out a tailstock switch, but my preference is to run as is. I'll try leaving off the home switch limits in the .hom file today and see if that works. If so, I should be good to go.
Last edited by Threedj16 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Forgot to follow up on my last post. Yup, works perfectly fine commenting out the line in the home file which turns the limit switches back on. Now my soft limits are back working as they were before the upgrade. So I can set my machine Z zero out in front of the chuck, yet use soft limits to get the tools up close to the chuck with no problem. It's an oddball setup for sure, but apparently that was how Emco originally setup these lathes. Only thing I've found that can be an issue is make sure you always go back to a park position within the physical limit switch range before shutting down (or at least before running a the home file). Otherwise things can get weird.
martyscncgarage

Great. Can you post your home file for your PC Turn 50 and your final report if all done? Or are you tying up loose ends yet?
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:15 pm Great. Can you post your home file for your PC Turn 50 and your final report if all done? Or are you tying up loose ends yet?
I decided to wait on the proper tooling to fit my turret before running the full test out (they come in this Wed). So I'd rather wait to post my full report after that. I'm also trying to figure out how to tie two of my Aux buttons (which don't use macros, they use PLC code for activation) to my pendant. Of course, that part really won't matter for posting the report. But by next weekend I should be able to do the first real CNC run on the lathe, then I'd feel better about posting all the code.

As for the homing code:

N100 ;Check for open home switch
IF !#[50000 + 1] THEN M225 #100 "HomeAll Switch Tripped!!!\nPlease Clear Before Homing\nPress Cycle Cancel To End Homing"
IF !#[50000 + 1] THEN GOTO 100

;//Disable all limits
M94 /101 /102 /103 /104

M92/X L1 ;Move to X+ limit switch, back off until it clears.
M105/X P-3 F25 ;Move X minus at 25mm/min until input 4 closes
M26/X ;Set X home here

M91/Z L1 ;Move to Z- limit switch, back off until it clears.
M106/Z P-4 F25 ;Move Z plus at 25mm/min until input 3 closes
M26/Z ;Set Z home here

M18 ; RotateToolTurret To Home

;Enable all limits
;M95 /101 /102 /103 /104