Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C122600
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Server motorsport run after update of CNC 12

Post by toymakerSKC »

In November of last year I did finally got my Bridgeport Boss CNC running perfect. It was retrofitted with an acorn controller running free CNC12 ver 5.?, DYN 4 servo drive, and 1.3 KW DMM AC servomotors it was running so great that I decided it was time to purchase CNC 12 Pro. Given that my shop is 50 miles from my home and doesn’t have Internet in the shop, I elected to remove the PC and acorn board, and bring it home. I updated CNC 12 software to version 5.4 purchased and installed the Pro upgrade. Unfortunately in the middle of this I became ill and was not able to complete the update. It’s now more than four months, I’m well, back on the acorn update. I’ve installed version 5.10 and my Pro license, and reentered the data into the wizard based on screenshots I had taken at the beginning of this process. On the bench top without servo drives, or VFD attached I had worked through all the issues that arose. VFD control voltage was correct the DRO values would increase or decrease in an appropriate manner. All other input and outputs are working correctly based on the acorn’s LEDs. That was the good news.
Now the bad news: after replacing the acorn in the control cabinet, reconnecting all the header plugs, establishing communications with PC, all of the I/O work perfectly, spindle motor is controllable via the VFD. But when jogging the X, Y, Z axis, the servomotors will not turn. DRO indicates they are turning with increases and decreases in position counts. Based on the acorn’s axis enable LEDs turn on for a positive axis move and off for a negative axis move. As I recall this is correct.
It should be noted that there was absolutely no wiring changes to the control panel.
I’m hoping that I have a mistake in the wizard configuration. I’ve attached a copy of the report I would appreciate if someone could look over the report and let me know what I missed.
Attachments
report_78047348EA58-0719192296_2024-05-02_12-15-53.zip
Latest report
(897.19 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
toymakerSKC
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Re: Server motorsport run after update of CNC 12

Post by toymakerSKC »

Subject was Servo motor stop working after update of CNC 12
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

Hello,

I am taking a look at your report and I see that your CPU (Core 2 Duo P7570) is below our minimum requirements for good performance. However, I do not believe that is your main issue here.

As it has been a while since the machine was last used, I would go through and verify that all the wiring is secure and going to the right place. It might be a good idea to clean all the connectors with contact cleaner, especially any that were left disconnected for a while.

Verify that the drives have power and did not lose their configuration. Verify that you have the correct setting between screw terminal outputs and DB25 outputs in the Wizard.

Lastly, open up the Wizard and create a snapshot of the configuration by pressing CTRL + P on your keyboard. Please attach it and any pictures you can get of the wiring in the cabinet.
toymakerSKC

Post by toymakerSKC »

Hello
regarding "Verify that you have the correct setting between screw terminal outputs and DB25 outputs in the Wizard."

I'm using screw terminals, not DB 25 for servo motor outputs. I believe that I do not have screw terminals selected. However in the Wizard I can't find the screen where I can make that selection. I notice that in the axis motor drive configurator, for the DYN4, that the default connector is DB 25. How do I change the screw terminals?
Thanks in advance for your help
Steve
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

Hello Steve,

There should be a page in the Wizard under "DB25 Connector" labelled "Mapping". There will be a drop down menu to select DB25 or Screw Terminal near the top of the page. See page 95 in the ACORN installation manual for some nice pictures: https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... manual.pdf

If you cannot find that page then look in CNC12 for parameter #813 and set it to 0.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

i moved this thread into the acorn forum
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
toymakerSKC

Post by toymakerSKC »

Hi
I found how to configure Acorn servo motor screw terminal outputs. I went to my shop today, and I succeed in using the Wizard to configuring the system for screw terminals. Within the wizard, I did not expect to have to go into "DB 25 connector - mapping" to activate the screw terminals. For now all is well, I seem to love overcome this hurdle, and i'm ready for the next.
Thanks for your help.
Steve
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

toymakerSKC wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:14 am ..... I did not expect to have to go into "DB 25 connector - mapping" to activate the screw terminals. For now all is well, I seem to love overcome this hurdle, and i'm ready for the next.
Thanks for your help.
Steve
I agree Steve, I've had a few customers get confused by this page title when they are connecting their Clearpath servos.

Maybe Centroid can rename the page "Step & Direction Signal Mapping". :D (just food for thought)
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

ShawnM wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:33 am
toymakerSKC wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:14 am ..... I did not expect to have to go into "DB 25 connector - mapping" to activate the screw terminals. For now all is well, I seem to love overcome this hurdle, and i'm ready for the next.
Thanks for your help.
Steve
I agree Steve, I've had a few customers get confused by this page title when they are connecting their Clearpath servos.

Maybe Centroid can rename the page "Step & Direction Signal Mapping". :D (just food for thought)

done.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

cnckeith wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:46 pm
ShawnM wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:33 am
Thanks for your help.
Steve

done.
Wow, that was easy. Thanks Keith.