Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E0623464B717-0628226384
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Drive fault issue

Post by RoxanaPS »

Hi, I am having a drive fault issue and I can not figure out what is wrong. I have included a report created at the time of the fault. Thank you for any help.
Attachments
report_E0623464B717-0628226384_2024-04-04_10-59-42.zip
(972.96 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
dpascucci_support
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: No

Re: Drive fault issue

Post by dpascucci_support »

What kind of drives do you have?
Domenic

When requesting support READ THIS POST first.

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
RoxanaPS
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Post by RoxanaPS »

I have Stepperonline CL57T drives and closed loop motors. I have two 480 watt power supplies. My motors are Nema 23s. Thanks.
Ken Rychlik
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854

Post by Ken Rychlik »

If your drive is sending a correct fault signal, you are going to have to troubleshoot the drive, motor, wiring, ect... If it ever ran with the current wiring, I would suggest finding out which drive is going into fault mode first. Normally a light goes red on them. Then switch out motors, drives, ect.. until you get the problem to move to the other axis Then you know what part to buy.

If it has never worked, I would be looking at wiring and setup first. Putting some pics of your wiring, may help.
Ken
RoxanaPS

Post by RoxanaPS »

The X drive gives a seven blink fault. It has run but honestly never without issue. I have done a lot of upgrading and parts replacement trying figure it out. Here is a photo of my box.
Attachments
IMG_6069.jpeg
RoxanaPS

Post by RoxanaPS »

Sometimes it stops very sharply on its own and jerks back and forth one direction or the other or both. Other times it stops calmly and then jerks a bit to one side or the other. Like in this short iphone video clip:

https://www.homelifeimages.com/public_html/cnc-move.mov
RoxanaPS

Post by RoxanaPS »

OK I switched out the Z axis motor wires with the X axis motor wires, so I switched the Z axis wires all of them over to what I’ve been using as the X driver and I moved all of the X axis wires over to what I have been using as the Z driver. The Z functions normally and properly. The X hooked up to a completely different driver is still exhibiting, the same erratic behavior and sudden halting stops.
Ken Rychlik
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854

Post by Ken Rychlik »

Are the motors the same to where you can switch them? Are the wires long enough to where you can switch them? It's just a process of elimination. You might also remove the x motor from the machine and try to move it back and fourth manually to see how smooth it is.
Ken
RoxanaPS

Post by RoxanaPS »

Yes, I did swith them earlier today actually. I moved the encoder wires. I moved all of the connections from the drive that I was using as the X Dr. down to the Z Dr., and then I moved all of the Z Dr. connections from the driver up to the X Dr. the Z Dr. operated just fine but the X Dr. continued to run erratically Even after moving to an entirely different driver, the driver, I moved it to gave a fault and gave the seven blinks of the LED. It actually within the last hour I did a continuity test on the encoder wire coming from the X axis into the controller to make sure there was no break in the wires anywhere along the line. I did seem to find out that the red wire in the 15 pin plug that connects the extension cable to the encoder on the motor, I discovered that the red wire when I put a fine metal drillbit in the hole and then try to do a continuity test between touching the drillbit And then touching the end of the cable at the Behr wire that goes to the Drive I could not get continuity. I had to stick the drillbit further into the hole to get continuity. Now I knew that continuity couldn’t be created with the pins from the other end of the connector from the motor. So just for a test, I put some strands of wire from some stripped wire in the hole to kind of fill in the gap just to see if I could get the continuity and I did so I put it back together and I was just doing some testing and I was running fast jog and slow jog back-and-forth on the X axis just fine until about five minutes ago and it went berserk. All the sudden again out of nowhere. so I don’t know if it’s the wire cable from the motor to the control box or if it’s something else still.