Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7520 Acorn
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Pro license binding and demo version

Post by DeckelHead »

I'm sure this has been asked before, but after searching through several pages of results from a search, I wasn't able to find my specific question. I apologize in advance for what is probably redundant.

I decided to move ahead with an Acorn conversion, and I purchased both this and the Pro. It will be a while until I actually have the machine ready to be hooked up to the Acorn, though, and this has me thinking about the licensing. I believe I read somewhere that the generated software key (by Centroid) is bound to the serial number on the Seeed microcontroller board on the Acorn. If this is true, is that the *only* bit of information? I ask because I'd like to get the license, but I don't have *anything* configured on the Acorn or CNC12, and I likely won't even be using the same PC in the final installation. I want to be sure that changing OS versions, memory, hard disk, computer, and on the Acorn side, I/O assignments, PLC work, ATC changes, etc, will not somehow require that I get a new report.zip file. The genesis of this question really comes from how licensing works with Microsoft. If you change "too much" on a computer, your license will become invalid, and I want to be sure the same thing won't happen with the Acorn/CNC12.

On a different note... I'm actually building this system for my brother (one of the reasons the physical computer may change), and he is excited about tinkering around with CNC12. Most software will work in 'demo mode' if a proper key isn't installed, etc. My thought was that without an Acorn (or other Centroid product) that the CNC12 app would probably revert to this mode. However, when I removed the ethernet cable and restarted CNC12, I got an error message instead. Some poking around on the web indicated that a demo mode of CNC12 was available in an older version. Does the latest CNC12 support a demo mode?
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
CNC12: Yes

Re: Pro license binding and demo version

Post by tblough »

All Centroid licenses are bound to the Centroid controller, not the PC. You can change PCs, and PC components, as often as you want.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
dpascucci_support
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by dpascucci_support »

What functionality are you looking for in the demo software? The offline version of CNC12 is used for writing intercon programs on a computer that that is not connected to the machine.
All other functionality of the full software requires the PC to maintain a connection to the controller via Ethernet cable.
The offline version of CNC12 v5.08 can be found on this page: https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... loads.html labeled "Offline Mill and Lathe Intercon"
Domenic

When requesting support READ THIS POST first.

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
DeckelHead

Post by DeckelHead »

Thank you for the clarification; that is what I thought. As a nit point, however, I assume that any changes to the configuration of the Acorn itself will similarly not affect the licensing. That would, IMHO, be a pretty dumb thing to do, but I want to be safe and be sure. From the sounds of it, the license is bound to the Cortex core and that is about it (I think Seeed is Cortex based, but same concept if another CPU).

As for the CNC12 demo mode. Basically my brother is asking for something to play with. He has a new shinny toy to think about, and I'd like to keep him engaged (LOL). No doubt he will read this comment and give me flak, but whatever. There is another more relevant reason why I'd like him to be able to experiment though. In addition to exploring around the UI, a demo mode installation will allow my brother to become more familiar with Intercon usage. I know there would be limitations, of course, but he could still get a basic feel for how the conversational 'feel' plays out. In the end, Intercon was one of the more heavily weighted factors that moved me towards Centroid over something like the DDCS Expert control. The main draw away from Centroid was actually the pendant, and that argument almost won out; however, I think I can make something else work for him that will fit into a slightly stretched budget.

Anyhow, I'll point my brother towards the demo link provided in the previous post to this one. Thank you for providing it...
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

yeah we really don't have an offline version of cnc12 to just play around with. our cnc software is not solely PC based like others (mach/wincnc etc) The Centroid system is a hybrid as it has its own CNC Motion CPU onboard, this technique provides the Pro's from using a PC for file handling and UI without the CONs of using a PC from motion control, and it provides the Pros of using an onboard CPU without the CONs of proprietary hardware. Best of both worlds. But this method is not real conducive to running CNC12 without the motion cpu and the PLC connected to it. So, to run CNC12 you really need a Centroid CNC control board attached to it!
best way to do that is buy an Acorn and sit it on your desk, then you can do 'anything' that a real machine would be able to do.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
dpascucci_support
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by dpascucci_support »

DeckelHead wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:39 pm In addition to exploring around the UI, a demo mode installation will allow my brother to become more familiar with Intercon usage.
To be fair, the rest of the menus in the offline version of CNC12 are accessible and editable. For example, if you wanted to go into the motor parameters and change the revs/inch or practice sending MDI commands, you can.
Domenic

When requesting support READ THIS POST first.

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
DeckelHead

Post by DeckelHead »

Keith: OK, that is fair. I understand the point of view here, and I considered this as the reason why I didn't get very far. As for having a second Acorn. I would certainly not complain about that, but I haven't been fortunate enough to find something that is for sale. I can't really justify the expense of a new one right now to placate my (or his) curiosity. Patience is a virtue, I suppose, or at least I'll have to convince my brother of the adage's validity.

dpascucci: Unfortunately, my brother isn't a technogeek. I'm pretty sure that if I pointed him to the motor parameters, I would likely frustrate him. This would end up with a rant about how technology sucks, etc. I was more interested in having him learn some very basic conversational Intercon capabilities.... It isn't the end of the world, though. He can watch videos or simply wait until I'm done with my work and he has the real McCoy.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

intercon is fully offline, and works without the cnc control board connected to the PC.
Intercon is pretty self explanatory and there are both mill and lathe intercon step by step tutorials in the Centroid operator manual and in the plasma manual.
and several videos floating around that give demos/examples of how to use intercon to create a part and machine it
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

also, if you would like a personalized screen share demo of CNC12 and or Intercon, drop me a PM
DeckelHead

Post by DeckelHead »

Thank you, Keith, for the offer. I may take you up on that in a few months. In the meantime, I've got to work on the retrofit and such. I was just trying to jump the gun a bit and to give my brother something so that he feels engaged in the project. In the end, I am either a sucker or a very nice sibling... I found the machine, bought the machine, have collected all the parts, will perform the retrofit, and then I'll deliver the machine to him. I think sucker is probably a more accurate descriptor. :-)

The task is moving along pretty well right now. Most of the parts have been purchased, but I opted to use new closed loop stepper over what was there (this is an old Denford, by the way), which means new mounts have to be fabricated. I'm currently in the middle of developing a schematic. Once done, I will be able to layout the electrical and decide on the appropriate enclosure. I think that is the last more significant purchase. I also will be working on some Arduino projects for the mill in the future. One will be for the ATC once I figure out the I/F in the Acorn for the ATC. For the most part, all of the logic there will be handled by the Arduino (simple 3 position ATC that is almost not worth doing except for the fact that it is all there). The other will be a modification to a typical Chinese pendant. I can't really justify the Centroid pendant, and he won't need a display. So, the Arduino will function as a keyboard mapper. That will all be pretty basic programming. The only real reason for the Arduino is really to function as a keyboard controller so that we can have a USB interface. Oh, and the Arduino will map the MPG accordingly too.

Anyhow, I digress.... I/we may be contacting you in the future regarding your offer (which I appreciate), but it will be several months out.
Last edited by DeckelHead on Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.