CL57T (3.0) Stepper Diver Issue (DB25 - Step Pull Up/Down Voltage Issue?) <resolved>

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

killacam
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

CL57T (3.0) Stepper Diver Issue (DB25 - Step Pull Up/Down Voltage Issue?) <resolved>

Post by killacam »

Hey All -

I have a set of Stepperonline CL57T 3.0 stepper drivers that I have bench tested with my board long ago but now theyre not functioning as they should.. or at all ... I have burnt up one stepper motor already

The Set Up

Acorn Board connected to stepper drivers via DB25 5v logic supply
Drivers are powered with 36V separate power supply

I have checked the wiring 100000 times over and over

The issue
Plug the motor in - it hums and then get really hot ( boiling hot) after a while
I give it direction - it clicks / bumps and slightly rotates then moves slightly back
no movement out of both my CL57 drives for any of my steppers

My trouble shooting
I have checked the wiring - and i have had someone else check the wiring - All good (see images)
I have tried another non closed loop drive - a DM542T - WORKS FINE
I have put a multi meter to the step & direction - Step - ~4.7v off / no input from me the operator to cnc12 to acorn - ~4.6v on - me telling cnc12 to go ---- Direction - 0 v one direction - 4.7 the other

Possible issues
The step voltage doesnt go to the pull down value 0 -.5v ( i think thats the pull down) so its not fully getting direction to go so it sputters and stops

I looked at both the schematics / voltage pull ups for the DM542t vs. CL57 and Idk if there is a major difference.

I am legit going crazy - these drives use to work with the DB25 port now they dont

these are the newer manuals - not much is different between the version i have vs. the new manuals - only selectable 24v. logic
CL57 Manual: https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/downl ... T_V4.0.pdf
DM542T Manual: https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/downl ... T_V4.0.pdf

Ill put some photos of my torn apart box in the attachments
Attachments
IMG_4517.jpeg
IMG_4516.jpeg
IMG_4513.jpeg
IMG_4514.jpeg
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: CL57T (3.0) Stepper Diver Issue (DB25 - Step Pull Up/Down Voltage Issue?)

Post by cnckeith »

wrong motor? wrong type inductance of motor? wrong amp setting? wrong motor coil wiring?

related reading
https://www.geckodrive.com/support/step ... asics.html
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Ken Rychlik
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854

Post by Ken Rychlik »

Your wiring is backwards from what I am used to. I run 5v+ to the step/dir + and coming off the db25 header the step/dir go to the - inputs it looks like you are running a gd and trying to apply pos signals.
Ken
DeckelHead
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7520 Acorn
CNC12: No

Post by DeckelHead »

One thing that looks odd to me on the CL57T is that you don't have any encoder connected for feedback. The CL57T is for *closed loop* stepper motor control, while the 542T is for an *open loop* stepper motor.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I also noticed that in all the pics there's no encoder cable connected. You cant run this drive to an open loop stepper motor. Post a link or data sheet for the motors? Were they matched to the drive and bought as a pair, motor and driver?

And as Ken pointed out the drive is wired wrong. Maybe you should have checked the wiring 100001 times. :D

What Centroid diagram are you following?
killacam

Post by killacam »

Hey All sorry for the delay on getting back to this post - it did come to me after a few beers what my issue was - I didnt have the encoders hooked up and these drives do require encoders to operate. The newer version of the CL57t has a dip switch to turn the closed loop off.

But to get back to some of the posts -
Ken Rychlik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:57 pm Your wiring is backwards from what I am used to. I run 5v+ to the step/dir + and coming off the db25 header the step/dir go to the - inputs it looks like you are running a gd and trying to apply pos signals.
the Step / Dir + are running directly into the db25 and all the - are running to the com ports in the DB25
DeckelHead wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:43 pm One thing that looks odd to me on the CL57T is that you don't have any encoder connected for feedback. The CL57T is for *closed loop* stepper motor control, while the 542T is for an *open loop* stepper motor.
Thanks for this - IDK why it doesnt say that right in the manual because during this whole process I had a faint memory about being in this exact situation before and not understanding - then I said why not finish wiring everything (specifically the encoder cables) and it started to work. It took a few beers and a few days away from my enclosure
ShawnM wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:28 pm I also noticed that in all the pics there's no encoder cable connected. You cant run this drive to an open loop stepper motor. Post a link or data sheet for the motors? Were they matched to the drive and bought as a pair, motor and driver?

And as Ken pointed out the drive is wired wrong. Maybe you should have checked the wiring 100001 times. :D

What Centroid diagram are you following?
for the wiring I followed the basic DB25 wiring (idk the schematic off the top of my head) - it may look wrong because the way the screw thermals are positioned within the housing - everything looks offset to the right by one digit.

But all is solved - I was stuck on this for a few days ripping apart my cabinet.

some other notable thing about the CL57T that I learned
Default current set up is 3A - so if you're going to run a 2.8 A motor you're going to have a bad time - unless you
1. buy the debug cable (RS232) and DB9 adapter to USB ( go to staples online - its the cheapest i could find somewhere instock same day) and download the stepperonline SW to modify the drives
2. buy the updated cl57T 4.0 driver that eliminate the need for the debug cable and its all run with dip switches
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: CL57T (3.0) Stepper Diver Issue (DB25 - Step Pull Up/Down Voltage Issue?) <resolved>

Post by cnckeith »

thanks for reporting back
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

killacam wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:32 am ....... It took a few beers and a few days away from my enclosure
Are you sure you didn't have those "few beers" BEFORE you started? :mrgreen: