CNC Control System Serial Number: none1862e483d9b6-0319203082
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Please help with ATC issue after spindle and VFD upgrade

Post by Leodoc »

Hi All,

We could use some help getting our ATC working after a spindle and VFD upgrade.

We are running Acorn 4.64. We build guitars.

We were running a CNC Depot 530C WITH a HITACHI J-200. We just installed a CNC Depot RM50C spindle and a Automation Direct GS-23 VFD.

The RM 50C does not have any output signals to be utilized to operate the pneumatic relay that runs our tool changer clamp in the new spindle.

The relay outputs that were being on the old system utilized 4 outputs on the acorn board.

#2 Tool Unclamp
#3 Case Pressure Sensor
#4 Dust Foot
#5 for air blow

We would like to have the same functionality from our new system.

Could anybody help us find a solution. Tool changing is our priority, the rest would be nice.

We appreciate any help we can get.

Thank You

Scarlet Fire Guitars
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Please help with ATC issue after spindle and VFD upgrade

Post by cnckeith »

Number one thing is to upgrade to the latest version of software. The version you're running is very old. The new version has lots of pre-programmed features that you're after. Please follow the CNC12 installation instructions and guidance to the t and things will go smoothly
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ShawnM
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I cant believe that an ATC spindle does not have signal/sensors for collet open and tool in holder. How else would the software know if an actual tool change took place or took place correctly? Can you post a manual for this spindle? I don't even see that model on their website. It should have temp sensor and shaft stopped outputs as well. I only have experience with HSD spindles but will look at the manual if you post it or a link to it.

And as Keith stated, update your software, 4.64 is REALLY OLD.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Then, when you describe what you want to do, be sure to clearly state:
1) What things are outputs from the Acorn PLC, going to inputs on the spindle drive or to solenoid coils,
and
2) What things are outputs from the spindle or spindle drive, going to inputs on the Acorn PLC?
grossmsj
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by grossmsj »

I have the RM40C ATC Turnkey system that has the Durapulse VFD and pneumatics in their box. It connects to the Acorn through a 14-pin connector. It might help to see how I wired it:
Attached is a link to the wiring diagram/plan I used to wire the 14 pin connector from Acorn to the DuraPulse spindle box.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/L7rgdFiGtQ1FYHP39
There are nine pins you'll use. Five don't get used.
Pin 1 is wired to an input on the Acorn and it gets designated as Spindle OK. If there is a fault at the DuraPulse, it comes to this input. I believe I rewired the DuraPulse here from the R1O to the R1C terminal on the Durapulse so it is NC logic at the Acorn Input you use.
Pin 2 is the common for the input above and goes to an Acorn common Bus.
Pins 3 and 4 will go to two Outputs on the Acorn. They send signals to turn on the Spindle Clamp and Case pressurization solenoids. You'll have to experiment to see which is which. The specifics to wire these follows below. This was the part that stumped me the most.
Pins 5 and 6 aren't used.
Pin 7 is wired to an Output and designated as SpinFWD.
Pin 8 is the common for that output.
Pins 9 and 10 are wired to the 10V analog output to control spindle RPM
Pin 11 isn't necessary for Acorn and not used. Since there was that wire available in the DuraPulse spindle box I ended up wiring it to VFD Reset on the DuraPulse and another output on my Acorn. You don't need to do this, but if your air pressure goes low in the DuraPulse box you'll get a Spindle Fault and will need to clear it in the box.
Pin 12 is the common from the Solenoids and gets wire to a Acorn common bus.

Here is how to wire the outputs for the Solenoids. They need to get a 5V signal from the Acorn outputs to turn on.
Here's a picture of how I wired the outputs:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FukaroLuL2AENxh47
You'll see orange wires going to the middle terminal of Output 7 and Output 8. The orange wires are tied to the 5V signal you'll have in your Acorn control box. I recall this is a terminal from the Acorn power supply.
One of the wires goes to Output 7 (Solenoid 1). The other wire goes to Output 8.
These are set up as UnclampTool and ATCAirBlowActivate (or something like that in the Wizard). In my setup the Spindle doesn't sense case pressure, there is an air pressure sensor connected to the solenoids. You can probably get that from AutomationDirect.