Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tool changes for resetting Z every time

Post by Measurement10 »

I have a Taig CNC Mill, it uses ER16 collets, there is no way to set tool height. I have to set Z0 every tool change but im not exactly clear how this is done. I've looked over the router posts about tool changes and Macros and they don't entirely answer my question.

I want to use a 123 block and a shim, to the side of my vise, to set my tool height. Every time the M6 command comes up id like Acorn to go to the tool change position (Machine Z0), allow me to chuck in the new tool, then i will manually jog it to the 123 block, and with a shim, set the new tool height value. There is a macro for something similar on the tool setting options for routers and mills page.

However, what im not certain of is how does acorn now handle the "Part Z0" with this new tool change? Ideally i would use my first tool to set "Part Z0" and use subsequent tool change prompts to set the tool offset from that initial "Part Z0". The reason for this is my part Z0 will be always changing as i face down the part to correct size. Future tool changes wouldnt be able to use the initial CAM programmed Z0.

I get the feeling it will want me to set a new Part Z0 every tool change, but i don't want to touch off on the top of my sometimes very small part. How can i touch off to something beside the part and still be ok?
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: Tool changes for resetting Z every time

Post by ShawnM »

You can simply add a fixed tool touch off device, either mechanical or electronic, and CNC12 will automatically measure each tool for you and go back to cutting. You can manually set Z0 and face the material. After that you can reset Z0 with tool 1 in the spindle and start the job. When it comes time for a tool change it will move to your programmed "tool change" position for the tool change and then after you change the tool it will automatically move to the fixed tool touch off and remeasure tool #2, apply the offset difference from tool #1 and go back to cutting. There are several version of tool touch off macros on the forum. Very easy to do what you want.
Measurement10

Post by Measurement10 »

I was looking to do this without adding homing switches to my machine. Also using flood so no touch plates. Hoping there is a simple way around this.

Sifting through many many posts, honestly, a bit of a pain. Some posts incomplete or non-applicable.

Centroid please provide a more complete guide for tool changes.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

you don't need home switches, set wizard to "simple Homing" . i would at least put some marks on the machine so you can home out close the same spot every day. etc.

and use #4 or #5
on this page
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1493
watch the demo video on same page

if you don't like the words or anything else about the sample macro you can simply tweak the macro to match your desired work flow.
macro programming guide is here.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... amming.pdf

machine home basics
download/file.php?id=26727

if you don't want to do any of that download and install swissi probe app it will hold your hand thru tool changes and part zero setups.
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6149
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Measurement10

Post by Measurement10 »

Thanks for the links.

I've found a workaround by simply setting "Part Z0" manually each tool change, adding a negative offset to 123 block in the prompt. This works while i plan out home switch and tool setting macros.

Hopefully next CNC12 release will have more extensive tool change routines built in? I imagine you guys are probably on it...
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Measurement10 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:36 pm Thanks for the links.

I've found a workaround by simply setting "Part Z0" manually each tool change, adding a negative offset to 123 block in the prompt. This works while i plan out home switch and tool setting macros.

Hopefully next CNC12 release will have more extensive tool change routines built in? I imagine you guys are probably on it...
what ever router tool change macro i create someone is not going to like it.. so, that is way Centroid macro programming is free and open source so you can roll your own, we and the community have provided lots of examples in which you can use as is on the page i linked above or edit to your requirements.

that being said we are currently working on an updated CNC12 Router Menu UI and restructuring by adding a lot of Router Specific Tool and Part Zero setup menus to replace the existing "milling machine" style menu that are currently under F1 Setup, F1 Part in CNC12. and a few other pre programmed VCP buttons like set tool # and set rotary WCS . here is a mock up of the router manual part set up menu

router draft part setup.png
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Ken Rychlik
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854

Post by Ken Rychlik »

If you post a question like (I want my machine to home this way) whatever way that is, someone will guide you to the answer or help you modify a macro for your needs. There are multiple ways to accomplish any task and everyone thinks their way is the right way. The one size fit's all theory very seldom works that way.

To run a machine without homeing proxy's and an auto tool height setting switch, would drive me crazy. What works for me best, you may not care for.
Ken
Measurement10

Post by Measurement10 »

Thanks Ken, this really sets my mind at ease. Going to attempt it shortly and be less stressed knowing the community can lend me a hand if needed.

I've ordered in some metrol home switches and a tool setter because you're right, it will end up driving me crazy.