CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

ARUM 5X-200 retrofit

Post by ecaltd »

Hello all !

I have a 5X-200 5 axis mill in with a damaged cpu. The machine is made by Doowan and is quite slick. It has Sigma 5 drives all run through CScam ethercat controls. Sycotec spindle and drive.

Not knowing much about ethercat, is there a standard protocol or are all parameters programmed to the specific machine.

It seems my options are...

Getting a new controller from CScam ( no luck so far.. )

Getting Centroid products to talk to the machine ?

Installing Acorn 6 and chucking the ethercat stuff, which is kind of a pity because the setup as it stands is pretty slick. I have all the mechanicals like gear ratios on two of the axes and ballscrew pitch on the others.

I have two other machines that need conversion, Colchester VS 15" lathe w/Fagor DRO and a Hitachi Seiki VM40.

Thoughts ? It would seem to make sense to do all with Acorn and use one controleer if possible.

Cheers,
gb
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Re: ARUM 5X-200 retrofit

Post by centroid467 »

ecaltd wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:26 am Hello all !

I have a 5X-200 5 axis mill in with a damaged cpu. The machine is made by Doowan and is quite slick. It has Sigma 5 drives all run through CScam ethercat controls. Sycotec spindle and drive.

Not knowing much about ethercat, is there a standard protocol or are all parameters programmed to the specific machine.

It seems my options are...

Getting a new controller from CScam ( no luck so far.. )

Getting Centroid products to talk to the machine ?

Installing Acorn 6 and chucking the ethercat stuff, which is kind of a pity because the setup as it stands is pretty slick. I have all the mechanicals like gear ratios on two of the axes and ballscrew pitch on the others.

Cheers,
gb
Hello gb,
I can tell you right off the bat that our Hickory EtherCAT controller is compatible with Sigma 7 drives. We may be able to get it to work with Sigma 5 drives that have the EtherCAT add on module but do not have any on hand to try. Do your drives have that external EtherCAT module?

Is the existing spindle controlled by EtherCAT or analog voltage? Hickory does not currently support spindle drives.

I think the fastest solution is to switch to EtherCAT Sigma 7 following Yaskawa's guide documents and keep existing motors. You could sell off the Sigma 5 drives to recoup some of the costs. Setting up Hickory with the Sigma 7 will be a breeze. Another option is to wait for us to determine if Sigma 5 with EtherCAT add on module will work. You could change the drives and motors over to some other Hickory compatible servo setup (Estun Summa, Glentek Gamma, Leadshine EL7 [F, FT, and N suffixes], Leadshine EL8, Inovance SV660N).

In general, EtherCAT has several defined protocols that could be used for different components. Servo drives typically implement CiA402 communications protocol but that does not make it entirely plug and play. Each manufacturer has slightly different implementations so some customization is needed on our end to support each brand/model of drive.

You could switch to AcornSix or Oak and then use Sigma 5 drives that have step and direction inputs (I believe those would be called Sigma 5 Analog).
I have two other machines that need conversion, Colchester VS 15" lathe w/Fagor DRO and a Hitachi Seiki VM40.

Thoughts ? It would seem to make sense to do all with Acorn and use one controleer if possible.
Acorn should be able to handle those machines just fine. It is possible to use one controller for two machines but not recommended because it will get annoying to remember to switch back and forth. It also gets rid of the option to have both machines running a job at once.

What drives and motors are currently installed on the Hitachi Seiki VM40?

Please create a Google Photos album with pictures of the machines and what is inside the electrical cabinets so we can get a better picture of what you'd need to do. Ideally, 1 album per machine to prevent confusion.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Oak controller will talk directly to the Sigma 5 units.
and if those same sigma 5 units also accept step and direction the AcornSix could run them as well. but we'd need to see model tag on the drives to find out.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ecaltd

Post by ecaltd »

Thanks All !

Just ordered an Acorn 6 to start. I'll work up a Google thingy and start posting some pics !

Looking forward to implementing your systems into the shop.

Cheers,
gb
ecaltd

Post by ecaltd »

.. real quick though, the Sigma 5's are SGDV-R90A01B for the A axis and SGDV-2R801B for the others. SycoTec drive is 0-10V analog in.

Cheers,
gb
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

the Sigma 5's are SGDV-R90A01B for the A axis and SGDV-2R801B for the others.
That is good. The "01" in the second part of the drive model indicates that they are analog / pulse-train models. They should have a 50-pin CN1 connector, consistent with Centroid's Oak and probably Acorn documentation.
ecaltd

Post by ecaltd »

Looking good !

It seems like the optimum config would be an Oak controller w/an optic direct board for the 5th axis !
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

i moved this post into the Acorn Forum
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html