CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

vfd control question

Post by Tim Berframe »

Hi,
I'm retrofitting Acorn into an Industrial CNC 4x8 router table. It has a Fuling 220v VFD driving a 2.2kw spindle.

I bought the parts required for a latching circuit as shown by BuildBug at

Under this setup, there are stop and start momentary buttons controlling the coil in the 220v contactor. Both spindle vfd and drive power supplies are cut off during an estop.

Now that I have received my Acorn, I see that I can do this differently as Acorn and CNC12 must have control ability from the operators console.

Diagram s15117 shows how to use the relays within the contactor estop circuit to control the spindle vfd using vfd common, vfd forward, vfd reverse, vfd reset. Elsewhere I would also wire 10v analog speed control from H8 and the 220v supply.
drawing s15117 clip1.JPG
Question1: Does this circuit shut down the vfd during an estop?

Question2: Is there any reason why I shouldn't split the 220v power after the contactor such that both the drive power supplies and the vfd get shut off during an estop?

Question 3: Maybe the spin direction controls do not apply to a router? Do I need them?

Question 4: I assume this circuit allows me to initiate an estop from the software (ie dont have to hit one of the physical big red mushroom buttons on the machine?
Centroid_Tech2
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: vfd control question

Post by Centroid_Tech2 »

1. No. This circuit removes the run signal from the VFD.

2. You could do that, but then you would want to wait a couple minutes for the VFD to completely power off every time you pressed Reset/E-stop. Power cycling the VFD with each Reset/E-stop is can be hard on the VFD and may shorten it's life.

3. No. You can run the VFDEnable from the E-stop contactor directly the VFD run forward input and not use the VFDDirection relay.

4. The NoFaultOut relay will cycle with the reset button on the VCP
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
Tim Berframe
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Tim Berframe »

1. No. This circuit removes the run signal from the VFD.
Poor choice of words by me. So, the spindle will stop spinning?

3. No. You can run the VFDEnable from the E-stop contactor directly the VFD run forward input and not use the VFDDirection relay.
Do you mean Spin Forward on output5 in the diagram or is "VFDEnable" a specific term I will find in the setup somewhere that I assign to an output?

4. The NoFaultOut relay will cycle with the reset button on the VCP
I dont have the software running yet. Im building the control box today and just trying to make sure I have the wiring requirements sorted before the next steps of bench testing and settings. Ill go do some research as I dont understand what "Nofaultout" is or where to find it.

I appreciate your help.
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Nofault out is the Acorn output relay function that triggers the coil in the estop contactor , follow the schematic and use the Wizard to set the outputs according to the schematic.
no fault out.png
vfd outputs.png
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

yes spindle will stop with any estop event, cycle cancel, any fault that triggers an e stop event,
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html