Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Cant see License file <resolved>

Post by Measurement10 »

This is strange. Just got my license file from Centroid for Mill Pro (Acorn) but no matter what i do CNC12 wont see the file. I've tried using adding .dat extension, tried it without, uninstalled and installed software, when i go to import license file it shows nothing is there (it is definitely there). Anyone know whats happening here?

Computer is W10, fully up to date.
dpascucci_support
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Re: Cant see License file

Post by dpascucci_support »

This seems to me like the license has some sort of extension other than .dat, do you have file explorer set to show file extensions? What does windows think the type of file is?
Domenic

When requesting support READ THIS POST first.

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
Measurement10
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Post by Measurement10 »

Downloading from a different PC fixed it.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Measurement10 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:15 pm Downloading from a different PC fixed it.
don't use a mac! (apple) computer
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Measurement10

Re: Cant see License file <resolved>

Post by Measurement10 »

Actually, using a mac is what fixed it for me.

Lots of people use iCloud for their main email address, problem is if you download a file (such as centroid's license file) from iCloud's browser based mail system (accessed through a web browser on your Windows CNC PC) it will corrupt the file in some way which makes it unreadable. Renaming its extension does not help. Using this method is the ONLY way someone can access said license file from their iCloud email client on a windows PC (without using the native windows email program, which why would they).

However, if you go to your mac and use the mac's native email application "Mail" to download said license file ON YOUR MAC, save it to a USB and bring it to your CNC PC, the file will work.

So the point here is Apple's iCloud Mail via Web Browser (as accessed on PC) will corrupt the file and NOT Apple's mac computers. An important distinction.
Last edited by Measurement10 on Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Measurement10 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:30 pm Actually, using a mac is what fixed it for me.

Lots of people use iCloud for their main email address, problem is if you download a file (such as centroid's license file) from iCloud's browser based mail system (accessed through a web browser on your Windows CNC PC) it will corrupt the file in some way which makes it unreadable. Renaming its extension does not help. Using this method is the ONLY way someone can access said license file from their iCloud email client on a windows PC (without using the native windows email program, which why would they).

However, if you go to your mac and use the mac's native email application called "MAIL" to download said license file ON YOUR MAC, save it to a USB and bring it to your CNC PC, the file will work.

So the point here is Apple's iCloud Mail via Web Browser (as accessed on PC) will corrupt the file and NOT Apple's mac computers. A VERY IMPORTANT DISTINCTION.

Telling users to do the opposite is frustrating especially considering they should be trusting the publishers of the software.
thanks for sharing the details for a work around. that is interesting. wonder why that is going on?

we don't have any macs/apple products here to test with hence our "don't use a mac/apple product" advice solves this issue.

glad you figured it out and took the time to share it here for others to benefit from.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Measurement10

Post by Measurement10 »

I can understand that.

Overall pleased with everything else, especially the replies here, very quick and helpful.