Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn Inputs - Direct or DB25?

Post by wolfkabal »

Just received my Acorn board this week and worked through the initial bench test. When I went to do a live test, and hook up my home/limit switches, I went ahead and followed the schematics. I have a super simple setup (G540 stepper controller, so utilized that). I disconnected my home/limit switches from the G540 (from the legacy setup) though and wired them in directly into Inputs 1-3, all seemed to work fine - great!

After I've been planning out my enclosure layout and wiring etc, and after looking at the schematics again, I see that all of the inputs are carried directly from the G540 into the Acorn via the DB25. I did notice though that the OUTPUT 1 & 2 are different from the G540 schematic, and the Acorn - this isn't needed at this time, but wanted to mention it.

The question, is there any advantage/disadvantage to connecting my home/limits into the G540 and run everything to the Acorn via the DB25, or is wiring directly into the Acorn via INPUT 1-3 any better?

Thanks!
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn Inputs - Direct or DB25?

Post by martyscncgarage »

I have done it both ways, and that is the beauty of ACORN. When I first tested Acorn, I simply unplugged the DB25 cable from the Mach computer and plugged it into Acorn. I had to add a signal isolator to the KBIC-120 DC Spindle drive but other than that it worked great. Many breakout boards follow the same pin out, so in most cases a user can unplug the DB25 and plug it into Acorn configure the software and off you go.
(All that said, I am now fitting Acorn into the cabinet, I am leaving the home switches wired to G540 and the rest is being wired to Acorn)
This configuration is G540 Legacy.

On the second machine, an D&M4 benchtop mill, I elected to use G540 as Drive Only. That is, it is only configured to drive the steppers and use the charge pump. Spindle control and eventually limit switches will be wired to Acorn.

On the third machine, an Emcoturn 120 lathe, I also am using G540 as drive only. I/O goes to Acorn. So, it too is configured as G540 drive only.

Both Legacy and Drive Only schematics are available for you to use. Personally, I think its a little cleaner to go G540 drive only and I/O from Acorn.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
wolfkabal

Post by wolfkabal »

Marty,

Thanks! I was literally just watching your D&M4 video, good stuff.

I presumed it was user's choice, on the input connections, but wanted to validate. I wasn't sure if there was any latency by going through the G540, but even so, I don't think that would matter for a limit/home switch.

Loving the simplicity so far, and finally getting away from older PC hardware (hardware and OS).
martyscncgarage

wolfkabal wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:48 pm Marty,

Thanks! I was literally just watching your D&M4 video, good stuff.

I presumed it was user's choice, on the input connections, but wanted to validate. I wasn't sure if there was any latency by going through the G540, but even so, I don't think that would matter for a limit/home switch.

Loving the simplicity so far, and finally getting away from older PC hardware (hardware and OS).

Right on, I hope it helped a little. What are you installing Acorn on? Be sure to post pictures!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
wolfkabal

Post by wolfkabal »

SX3 (Grizzly 0619) converted previously, and moving away from Mach3.

As indicated running everything via the G540.

Once I have everything secured in an enclosure, and not laid out in a mess on the bench, I'll be sure to get some pictures.

I had to laugh as well I was looking to run my via the Lenovo m92 tiny just as you are, as I can get lenovo products fairly cheap, but after spec-ing one, and then pricing out a decent touch screen monitor, I ended up going with one of their all-in-ones (ideacentre) - little beefier, and same price as the m92 in the end - win/win!

I'm still waiting on it to arrive, so I've been running everything off a laptop, just for testing/tuning. Can't wait to run some actual!
martyscncgarage

wolfkabal wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:54 pm SX3 (Grizzly 0619) converted previously, and moving away from Mach3.

As indicated running everything via the G540.

Once I have everything secured in an enclosure, and not laid out in a mess on the bench, I'll be sure to get some pictures.

I had to laugh as well I was looking to run my via the Lenovo m92 tiny just as you are, as I can get lenovo products fairly cheap, but after spec-ing one, and then pricing out a decent touch screen monitor, I ended up going with one of their all-in-ones (ideacentre) - little beefier, and same price as the m92 in the end - win/win!

I'm still waiting on it to arrive, so I've been running everything off a laptop, just for testing/tuning. Can't wait to run some actual!
Cool. I would be interested in knowing which all in one you got. Personally, the reason I don't prefer all in ones is because all your "eggs are in one basket" so to speak. LCD dies, there goes the computer and vice/versa. Some are a pain to get into to service memory, cpu, HD. The M92P is cool because it will accept most socket 1151? processors.

Take and post pictures along the way. Show off what you got!
Marty
Mesa, AZ