Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Axis subtitution for rotary

Post by pescadoman »

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I have XYZA. I can create g code for rotary(wrapping) that uses x or y, but not A. My A is tuned in for degrees and is a 5 to 1 pulley. I can't assign A a Y letter. If I switch cables, this would throw everything off. I'm really frustrated right now because I should already be able to figure this out. When I switch from rotary to linear in the Wizard, does it convert? Then I would only get the part diameter correct in the software to produce the correct numbers and then switch letter in G Code? I know this is done all the time, but...I'm an idiot...
grossmsj
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: Axis subtitution for rotary

Post by grossmsj »

If the axis of your rotary axis is parallel to X, it is referred to as the A axis. If it runs parallel to the y- it is the B axis.
You set this extra axis up in the Wizard. So you will have four axes, X, Y, Z, and A.
You'll note that the rotary speed will need to be a LOT higher than your linear speeds for A
The rotary post processor does all the thinking for you. Gary Campbell has posted some very nice post-processors you'll want to have. You 'just' have to get the model right in your CAD program (I use Vectric). The rotary motion is largely invisible to you when you are milling. The spindle will move along the X and Z axes. Your Y axis will never change for that rotary setup.
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

The way to wrap your head around this is that your model vector will run along the X axis, and when the vector is wrapped along the Y axis one full rotation you have your model. The X axis length is the model's height, and the length of the Y axis is 2*pi*model radius (circumference).
If you have an A axis, you'd want to get the Y-to-A post processor. You are wrapping Y to the A axis.
pescadoman

Post by pescadoman »

grossmsj wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:18 pm If the axis of your rotary axis is parallel to X, it is referred to as the A axis. If it runs parallel to the y- it is the B axis.
You set this extra axis up in the Wizard. So you will have four axes, X, Y, Z, and A.
You'll note that the rotary speed will need to be a LOT higher than your linear speeds for A
The rotary post processor does all the thinking for you. Gary Campbell has posted some very nice post-processors you'll want to have. You 'just' have to get the model right in your CAD program (I use Vectric). The rotary motion is largely invisible to you when you are milling. The spindle will move along the X and Z axes. Your Y axis will never change for that rotary setup.
I'm running Vectric as well. I saw some of his posts, but I couldn't figure out how to get the PP to install using Aspire's install PP in the dropdown at the top of the screen....because I"m an idiot.
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

I think the PP's are something like "Y-to-A.pp.txt". You have to remove the .txt so you have a PP file. If it is listed as a text file it won't load as a PP
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

fyi.. in the upcoming public CNC12 beta v5.09 rev3 there are significant improvements to Rotary setup and Graphing
Hopefully i'll be posting a public beta tomorrow or the next day. Would be great for any of you Rotary users to give it a go and provide some feedback on the changes.
cnc12_v5.09_BETA_rev2_release_notes.pdf
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
pescadoman

Post by pescadoman »

cnckeith wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:14 pm fyi.. in the upcoming public CNC12 beta v5.09 rev3 there are significant improvements to Rotary setup and Graphing
Hopefully i'll be posting a public beta tomorrow or the next day. Would be great for any of you Rotary users to give it a go and provide some feedback on the changes.

cnc12_v5.09_BETA_rev2_release_notes.pdf
Is it tomorrow yet?? :D
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074