Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

No Axis Motion with Acorn - Clearpath SDSK - C86ACCP

Post by Max »

I am building a small three axis mill with acorn control. I have bench tested the set up with SDSK and C86ACCP successfully. I have assembled the machine for a mechanical test and was unable to get motion out of the SDSK axis drives.
I have been over the setup and thoroughly checked all connections. All boards show the correct led indicators without any errors. The motors are enabled, energised and “locked”. I have acorn running and inputs from MDI are executed correctly as displayed on the DRO but there is NO motion from the SDSK motors as there was in the bench test.
To simplify the setup I have gone back to a bench test with one SDSK motor, still not motion. Latest log file is attached. A couple of things that I tried: Running the PC tuner app and replacing the Ethernet cable ordered with Acorn with a new shielded cable.

Setup:
Control Acorn 12 v4.06
Axis Servo X Y Z Clearpath SDSK
Power Supply IPC-5
Power Hub Power4-Hub
Attachments
BenchTestOne.jpg
report_80F5B5A9EC9A-0309225714_2024-02-05_16-04-04.zip
(886.92 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
BenchTestThree.jpg
BenchTestTwo.jpg
I'm passionate about Machining
Pursuing the cutting edge ⛏
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: No Axis Motion with Acorn - Clearpath SDSK - C86ACCP

Post by cnckeith »

review.
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5389
especially garys contribution
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Max
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Max »

Thanks Keith
I have spent some time reading the entire linked thread and re-watched Marty's videos.

I am using wiring diagram S15072 rev4 SDSK & C86ACCP

I have not found any issues with my setup. The only difference that I found was that Marty's text says to use software enable for C86ACCP and the video shows to use hardware enable. I have tried both and as expected they both return the same result.

To re-state the problem. My setup worked fine on the bench test. When installed in the machine I no longer had axis motor motion. I have gone back to a bench test and am unable to resolve this issue. The report file is from my current bench test
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

My guess is there is a mistake in the wiring. I would disconnect everything, and remove all wiring. Then start over, step by step, with the bench test for a SINGLE axis. Obce that is working, add additional axis one at a time.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
arturod

Post by arturod »

It should be something simple that you are overlooking. Since this systems acts as an interlocking system, one thing depends on the previous one, so going back again through the step by step instructions should reveal what the issue is:
Some additional ideas on troubleshooting this are:
- Temporarily disable the Drive OK signal on CNC12, this will prevent CNC12 from faulting from a signal that it may see coming from the CNC12.
- Jumper the NO_FAULT signal and the ACORN ENABLE, to force the C86ACCP to enable and understand which signal is preventing the board from enabling.
- Connect just one axis and make to move the jumper to disable the other ones. It may be a fault signal coming from a servo.

If the issue continues, you are welcome to open a ticket in our website and we will give you a hand with this: https://cnc4pc.com/contact

Arturo Duncan
https://cnc4pc.com
Arturo Duncan
https://cnc4pc.com
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Or you could just wire the Clearpath servos directly to the Acorn and they will work EVERYTIME. Just my 2 cents. :D
Max

Post by Max »

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions.

I have checked and re-checked the wiring and it all looks fine to me. So I started the process of stripping all the wiring and re-wiring step by step. When I got to removing the last wire from its terminal I found the issue. This is a real rookie error. :oops:

I now remember as i was briefly not working on the project and I do not have much bench space, and as C86ACCP does not have a secure mechanical mount to the main board I had removed C86ACCP from the Acorn board so it did not get damaged. However when I re-fitted C86CAAP I did not fit the board correctly. C896ACCP was offset by one pin so that the end pin was hanging free from the terminal bank - see the marked up photo. Unfortunately this was not easy to pick especially as I was checking wiring and jumpers which were all correct as I had successfully completed the bench test. Hopefully this will help others not to fall into the same mistake
Attachments
20240210_155248.jpg