Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Virtual Control Panel Fault After Tool Path < missing snubbers>

Post by 3dcarvings »

I'm still having the virtual control panel going inoperable after running a single tool path. I performed the communication test and no issues. I replaced the 15' Cat 5 cable with an 8' cat 8. Inspected the ethernet ports on the Acorn & the PC. No issues. My EZ Router runs/works perfectly during all movements including homing, parking, stop limits etc. When I run a tool path, 9 out of 10 times, the virtual control panel (panel on the right) stops functioning. It seems to disconnect throwing the infamous 452 ethernet communication error. I'm running the latest version; 5.08. My level of expertise is somewhat limited but is there a way to not have to reboot the software and re-home the machine after every tool path? I attached pictures of my setup and the report file. Thanks, Will.
Attachments
Router2.jpg
Router1.jpg
report_98F07B05D855-1017226582_2024-02-04_15-58-02.zip
(914.13 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Sword
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Re: Virtual Control Panel Fault After Tool Path

Post by Sword »

Your report shows lots of MPU resend errors going back to 1/18/24, so something is still causing comm errors. Did you go over everything mentioned in your other post? https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic. ... ors#p83761

How do you have the rest of the Ethernet cable routed going to the PC? Is it next to or looped around some other part of the machine, next to the VFD or spindle wiring, motors, etc?

For one, I'd try moving the Ethernet cable away from that vac hose. Lot's of static can happen there! Perhaps re-route where it curves around and is next to other voltages inside as well.

Does it happen when "air cutting" the file without the router on?
Scott
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

On the one hand, you say the problem is with the Virtual Control Panel, which is one small component of the system. If there were a problem with only the Virtual Control Panel, then you would still be able to navigate the menus in CNC12; see status messages and information in CNC12; launch other programs from the Windows Start menu; etc..

On the other hand, you say you have to reboot the computer to get going again. That would imply that the whole WIndows PC system is locked up somehow.

When your problem happens, can you still navigate to different menus or screens in the CNC12 software? Can you use F10/Shutdown -> F9/Exit, then use the Windows desktop or Start menu to launch it again?

Scott's recommendation is a good and important one. The VFD is often the source of the problem noise. If you run a program cycle without the spindle, does your problem occur? If you start and stop the spindle a few times, outside of a program cycle, does your problem occur?
3dcarvings

Post by 3dcarvings »

Sword wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:54 pm Your report shows lots of MPU resend errors going back to 1/18/24, so something is still causing comm errors. Did you go over everything mentioned in your other post? https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic. ... ors#p83761

How do you have the rest of the Ethernet cable routed going to the PC? Is it next to or looped around some other part of the machine, next to the VFD or spindle wiring, motors, etc?

For one, I'd try moving the Ethernet cable away from that vac hose. Lot's of static can happen there! Perhaps re-route where it curves around and is next to other voltages inside as well.

Does it happen when "air cutting" the file without the router on?
I'll try re-routing the cable inside the box. Not much room in the control box. The cable goes directly into the PC running by itself and not bundled with others. This wasn't an issue on the older version CNC12 4.80. Don't know what's causing it. Yes, I looked at everything that was posted. Machine works excellent except for this issue.
3dcarvings

Post by 3dcarvings »

cncsnw wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:16 pm On the one hand, you say the problem is with the Virtual Control Panel, which is one small component of the system. If there were a problem with only the Virtual Control Panel, then you would still be able to navigate the menus in CNC12; see status messages and information in CNC12; launch other programs from the Windows Start menu; etc..

On the other hand, you say you have to reboot the computer to get going again. That would imply that the whole WIndows PC system is locked up somehow.

When your problem happens, can you still navigate to different menus or screens in the CNC12 software? Can you use F10/Shutdown -> F9/Exit, then use the Windows desktop or Start menu to launch it again?

Scott's recommendation is a good and important one. The VFD is often the source of the problem noise. If you run a program cycle without the spindle, does your problem occur? If you start and stop the spindle a few times, outside of a program cycle, does your problem occur?
Yes, that's what's weird. Just the virtual control panel on the display becomes unresponsive. All of the functions of CNC12 tabs work fine. I have to reboot CNC12, not the PC to get back communication with the virtual control panel. Also, I'm not using a VFD or spindle, just a 115 vac router.Thanks, I will try and reroute the ethernet cable and report back in the morning. Will.
Sword

Post by Sword »

It may be working fine up until you start a file and something energizes, or when things shut off when the file is done. Is that a 30A contactor for the router in the lower right, next to the curve in the Ethernet cable as it exits? Do you have a snubber on the coil for that? I had problems with one (or both since I had two) where once that contactor was de-energized/disengaged, it would kick out the Ethernet and cause an error. Installing a snubber or diode across the coil fixed it.
Scott
3dcarvings

Post by 3dcarvings »

Sword wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:50 pm It may be working fine up until you start a file and something energizes, or when things shut off when the file is done. Is that a 30A contactor for the router in the lower right, next to the curve in the Ethernet cable as it exits? Do you have a snubber on the coil for that? I had problems with one (or both since I had two) where once that contactor was de-energized/disengaged, it would kick out the Ethernet and cause an error. Installing a snubber or diode across the coil fixed it.
Hmmm, good point Sword...I'll look into that. I just removed the ethernet cable and routed it completely away from that connector. Yes, it closes when the router is activated. I'll research installing a snubber as I've never installed one. I'll try the machine again tomorrow and report back. Thank you!
Sword

Post by Sword »

Scott
3dcarvings

Post by 3dcarvings »

Performed a test this AM on my CNC router. I "unplugged" my 1.5hp router motor so I can just run the CNC and the CNC12 software. With everything powered up and communicating with CNC12, I put the "spindle" control (on the virtual control) in manual. Using the mouse I depress the green start button. The relay in the machine's box energizes and the LED turns green on the relay panel as it should. Router motor is powered up as I read the voltage at the disconnected plug (118vac). The problem comes as I turn off the router using the mouse. As soon as I touch the red button on the virtual control, the CNC12 board's blue LED flashes rapidly and throws the 452 ethernet com error and refer to the 270 bulletin. Keep in mind nothing is running on the machine as I'm just operating the switching on CNC12. I'm stumped ?? I am going to try to switch to a different relay on the CNC12 relay board.
Ken Rychlik
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854

Post by Ken Rychlik »

If you have the little relay board that comes with acorn actually applying the voltage to the router, that is probably the issue. I use those to run low power outputs, but not heavier loads.
Ken