CNC Control System Serial Number: 1115237682
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Emco Concept Turn 105 Build

Post by bazgazem »

Hi All,

I’m attempting to control a Emco Concept Turn 105 with the Acorn. I have no prior CNC experience. I do have some CAD experience as I use it to create tech drawings for some manual machining that I do. I got this machine for what I believe was a good deal and I’m very excited to put it to work.

This machine has the following:

Lenze 3-phase motor
Lenze E82EV152_2C200 VFD
Berger Lahr VRDM 391050LHB00 stepped motors
-3 phase, 85mm flange, 35VDC, no encoder, no holding brake
Y4A 031 011 stepper driver (Emco)
Emco Y4A036000 ATC controller
8 position ATC
Single output spindle encoder (from what I read in the install manual- I will need to replace this with a quadratic type.)
Acorn controller with CNC12 5.08 running on dedicated Intel NUC with windows 11

I’ve followed the Acorn install manual as best I could so far. I did the benchtest, the analog spindle benchtest, I setup and tested the e-stop switch wired to input 8. I got the home switches setup in series to input 1 and they both work- the machine has proximity switches on both axis's that trips once per rev- I believe this is for precision homing- I saw a video on this from martyscncgarage on YouTube and I’m excited to configure that later on. I have an e-stop output setup that enables all the contacters. I followed the Lenze E823V751 schematic from the acorn website and got that working. But, I have very little information on the stepper driver and I’m struggling to get anything working there.

For the stepper driver- I ran 5volts to it to get it to power on- it displays a series of red and green lights that I can’t make sense of other than the red lights are probably not good. There is 35 volts running to it that was wired by the factory, a 16 pin ribbon and a three connection phenix style plug. On the PCB it looks like pin 1 and 3 are tied together on this plug. This is where I ran a common and +5volts from the acorn power supply. Powering the 35volt side (contactor dedicated for this) does not make a difference with the led lights- also the steppers can be moved by hand even with the 35 bolts to the driver. I’m at a loss and I’m considering the Leadshine 3DM580 driver. I assume this is covered by the lead shine “DM” series that I saw in the acorn wizard. I’m confident that the motors are wired to the board correctly since that is a factory connection. I also have the schematics for the drives so I’m not worried about that.

Is an 85mm flange for the steppers the same as Nema 34? 85mm vs 86.36mm (3.4 inches)

If I can get axis movement I plan to move on to attempting to get the ATC working.

Does anyone have any experience with this stepper driver? I tried to follow what others have done with the Emco turn 55 as the driver looks identical but I’m not able to find enough details about it.

I’d love to just buy two Leadshine 3DM580 drivers and get up and running that way. I assume that this driver would work- it’s three phase- can put out 5.7 amps (motors rated for up to 5.8) and it is compatible with 35vdc. Is there anything else to consider?

Thanks for any help. I have a report output that I’m going to get on my usb stick to upload here (not that I think it would help currently). I’m working on a photo album but I’ll directly attach a few pics here.
Attachments
report_98F07B9216B7-1115237682_2024-01-15_14-09-44.zip
(870.66 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
C0A76B38-A5E8-4A2A-B19A-A5437D683A06.jpeg
9F32F02F-09B5-4A5D-9A57-B0F0766FBC5A.jpeg
6AFF5F3F-D79B-4C7B-969D-BE2EFFC01DA7.jpeg
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Emco Concept Turn 105 Build

Post by cnckeith »

on the emco i did, i replaced the stock berger stepper motors with new leadshine closed loop units with the same bolt pattern Nema 25 and matching leadshine drives. great performance.

open loop is no good on a lathe and those old 3 phase motors and drives are wacky :-)
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
bazgazem
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by bazgazem »

I decided to go ahead and replace the drive with a pair of Leadshine 3DM-580s. I followed the schematics at https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... 976.r4.pdf. I was surprised at how easy this was. I connected the Z axis and did a test which seems to work well. I'll connect the X axis next and work on the home/limit switches. I'll add upgrading the axis motors and drive to a closed loop system on my lower priority list. I'm excited to move on to the proximity switches and the ATC next. I did some testing with the ATC and I believe it is using a four bit logic to determine what tool its on. It has a DC motor and move forward to the next tool then reverses to lock in place.
bazgazem
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by bazgazem »

I'm now at the home stretch to getting this build completed. I replaced the Emco encoder with a Koyo TRDA-20R1N1000VD and it was pretty much plug and play with the default schematics as far as the wiring went. I had to make a bracket and shaft adapter to mechanically install it. I attached a tech draw of the mounting bracket. I used a dp9 with break out board from amazon amazon.com/dp/B08P764RFK?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I also got the 8 position ATC working. I used the -12volt +24volts method with a DPDT relay and used the LM2596 to create the 12 volts.

amazon.com/dp/B08P764RFK?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
amazon.com/dp/B00LSEBYHU?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

This is what I found most people did to get this to work and I have had no issues with it. I did find that the grey code on tool 5-8 was weird so I just used the truth table in the ATC wizard to set the tool positions.

I ran out of inputs on the Acorn so I'm not going to use the proximity homing switches that the machine came with. The contact home switches work fine.

To review the only electronics I didn't replace are the stepper motors, spindle motor, ATC DC motor, VFD, 24/35 volt power supply, and the contactors/breakers/terminal blocks/e-stop button.

At this point I'm continuing to tool the machine out and setting up different chucks/backplates. I have no immediate plans to make any further changes. I have some solid models available for things like a partoff tool holder and other tooling specific to this ATC if anyone is interested.

I have an import ER40 collect chuck fitted and my next task to getting a three jaw with two piece jaws setup so I can use soft jaws. I can't wait to start running parts.
Attachments
encodermount.pdf
(205.66 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

right on, thanks for reporting back, make a photo album and populate it with lots of photos of the project. we would love to see what you did.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html