Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Touch probe

Post by grossmsj »

You need to consider the resolution you'll get from digitizing with a probe. Under the best conditions, the probe tip diameter will limit the precision of your digitization. My KP-3 probe tip diameter is 0.09 inches. This is great for a lot of surfaces. But you won't catch the detail in small grooves or projections. Practically, you can make a modification in your CAD, especially if the groove is a fairly common shape (square, oval, etc). But I find there is a certain amount of trial and error to really dial in something. If it's an exterior cosmetic feature, no problem. But something with fine details and tight tolerances will need to be done with CAD.
cdiseker
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 20D77886DD3D-0112247834

Post by cdiseker »

I just noticed your reply, thanks. I'm at the very beginning basics of trying to probe. It will be for small surfaces to start...like 1" wide x 4" long with a radius of about 4". Your comment makes total sense...cannot probe a .08 slot with a .09 probe. I get it. I don't even know where to start. Seems like finding the basics how to probe is impossible. Its frustrating buying such an expensive tool and not being able to use it.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

If your mill is good, no problem to digitize with less than 0.01mm deviation with the KP3 probe.

The smallest tip I use is 1mm diameter. Rhino to convert point clouds to STEP.

But you can also mill shapes without CAM if you use a round tip mill with the same diameter as the probe.

For simple shapes I use only basic probing functions and use the results for modelling in fusion on a CAM PC next to the mill.

Uwe
grossmsj
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by grossmsj »

cdiseker wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:57 am Seems like finding the basics how to probe is impossible. Its frustrating buying such an expensive tool and not being able to use it.
There is a section (Chapter 8) in the CNC 12 mill operator's manual that covers the basics of digitizing.
Manipulating the data is going to require good software. As Uwe suggested, Rhinoceros (https://www.rhino3d.com/learn/?query=ki ... modal=null ) is probably the way to go.

If I were in your shoes, I'd start by digitizing some relatively simple things and work on manipulating them in a Trial version of Rhino.
cdiseker
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 20D77886DD3D-0112247834

Post by cdiseker »

suntravel wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:26 pm If your mill is good, no problem to digitize with less than 0.01mm deviation with the KP3 probe.

The smallest tip I use is 1mm diameter. Rhino to convert point clouds to STEP.

But you can also mill shapes without CAM if you use a round tip mill with the same diameter as the probe.

For simple shapes I use only basic probing functions and use the results for modelling in fusion on a CAM PC next to the mill.

Uwe
That is some tiny probing.