CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

CNC12 "Sticking" during Macros

Post by Ziggy »

Hello

I searched the forum and Google and didn't see any references to my problem. If I have just missed an existing thread/solution I apologize.

--

My CNC is finally in a usable state and I have been experimenting with some success. However, yesterday I noticed something odd.

CNC12 would stop at random points during zeroing macros. I could press the cycle-start button and it would continue. The "single block" button was not lit during the hang ups. I have included a couple of pictures.

Now that I think about it, it seemed to only happen during the Zero macros. I have my CNC set up with sensors for auto zero and squaring. The first time it hung up I wasn't sure what to do and I think I clicked the "reset home" button to make it try again. It kept acting squirrely so I restarted the computer and CNC12. When it came back on I pressed reset and then cycle start to start the auto zero/square process. I could be wrong but for some reason I am thinking it didn't automatically run it. (Not sure now... it was late last night)

I would go out there and test but we are in the middle of a winter storm and I have shut down the shop.

The machine seemed to run fine otherwise. I ran several jobs and they all worked fine. It just seemed to hang up as I was zeroing either single axis or zero all.... or the auto zero/squaring.

--

I have a grade or two higher than recommended Intel NUC and I have followed the setup for the computer. I even checked task manager to see if the resources are being taxed and they aren't. Every cable in my machine is shielded so I don't think EMI is a problem.

The machine has been running flawlessly. This is the first hiccup. I suspect I have inadvertently clicked something but I can't imagine what. I have also attached a report.

The only other thing I can think of is that the last job I ran before all this happened I had to stop the machine during a run. I had set the Z height wrong and it was digging into my spoilboard. The machine didn't throw any errors and it didn't even seem to be straining so I can't imagine that would have anything to do with it. I am just throwing it out there in case it is relevant.

As always, I sincerely appreciate the help.
Attachments
report_3484E4260A11-0527226250_2024-01-13_16-28-05.zip
(667.22 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
IMG_4249.jpg
IMG_4250.jpg
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: CNC12 "Sticking" during Macros

Post by ShawnM »

Look at your error log, starting yesterday it's a wonder it did anything. It's riddled with communication errors. One after another. Did you do any work on the machine wiring or PC?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Thanks for the response!!

No. The last thing that happened before all of this started happening was when I had to stop the job because of my error setting the Z height.

I am still new to CNC12. What communication? Between PC and Acorn board or between sensors and Acorn?

Edit: I finally found what I think is the error log in the report. (Couldn't find a reference to error log in the manual)

Is this what you were seeing?

(4) 01-13-2024 15:33:55 944 MPU requested resend # 21
(4) 01-13-2024 15:33:55 946 PC resending # 873

To me that sounds like the acorn board is having trouble communicating with the PC.

It was about 42 degrees out. The dewpoint was in the low 20s but that is as cold as I have ever run the machine. I don't think condensation was an issue but this is the first time I have ever experienced this.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

solve any com errors is priority #1 here is how.
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1451
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Oh wow! Thanks! Like I said, still learning here.

As soon as I can get past this white-out (weather) I will put this machine under the test!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Hello... I am back.

After the snow cleared and the weather warmed I went through all of the steps above. Everything looked fine.

I have been running small "learning" jobs and getting used to the machine. I have been watching the error log and I haven't had a single communication error since the day that I originally posted.

Today I was running a job and the machine just quit. It showed a 9031 drive fault. I looked at the error log and that is all it showed; "9031 Drive Fault." (I haven't saved a error log yet.) I am using the Geckodrive G540.

I wasn't sure what to do so I shut down CNC12 and moved all of the axis manually. They all seemed fine. So I restarted CNC 12 and everything seemed to be working fine. I even restarted the last job and it was able to finish.

The only thing I did differently was turn off my WIFI. I set my computer up as instructed originally. Having said that, just to be sure, I downloaded and installed the setup utility mentioned above and let that confirm.

I might add that I have been careful to shield and filter all of my wiring to the point of obsession. I even bought copper braid and all of my AC is shielded and grounded. I am using shielded IGUS flex cables. I am using high end EMI filters on both the PC/Controller and the VFD. I have a dedicated 220V line on a 100A service. All of my ethernet cables are shielded. My controller box is shielded.

Could this be a Microsoft thing? Should I just leave the WIFI off? I am only using it to connect to a network drive to load jobs. I can always sneaker-net the jobs in with a flash drive if necessary.

Any suggestions are welcome. This is kind of a scary fault for a relative noob like me.
Nigelo
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802

Post by Nigelo »

As a start, create a new Report.zip and post here
Hope this helps
Nigel

"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Drive fault means one of your axis drives reported a fault to the Acorn. You will need to refer to the drive manual and see how to interpret the fault indicator the drive uses. Usually it's a sequence of flashing lights on the drive, or you may need to hook up a computer to the drive using a communication cable.

Your drive manual should cover all this in a chapter on "troubleshooting".
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Thanks for the replies.

I have attached a report.

I will have to look through the Geckodrive manual. I don't remember seeing any of that before.

I just ran several more nc files in a silly little project I am making and they all ran fine except for one thing that I am not sure is relevant.

For some reason, it seems as if the zero position changed after loading a job. Last week I prepared for a job and used my touch plate to set the Z axis using the automatic part setup in CNC12. For some reason it plunged too deep and ruined the piece. I honestly figured it was my fault and I did something wrong.

So, being paranoid this week, I decided to move the bit away from the workpiece and use the MDI to move the bit to the zero Z position just to double check that it looks right. (EDIT: I meant I double-checked it after using the auto setup with the touch plate.)

Everything seemed to work good and this was also a good double-check for myself. However, when I was running an adaptive clearing today, it sounded like the bit was taking too heavy of a bite. It was supposed to plunge .125" and it plunged about .25. So I stopped the job and manually checked the Z zero. It was about 1/8" below the surface.

I guess I could have screwed up the Z zero and then didn't check the Z height carefully enough... I really don't know. The half a dozen or so remaining jobs I was extra diligent that Z zero is actually where I want it to be.

Maybe something else I might mention that seems odd to me.... but this may be normal. When I press the button to set the zero on a single axis it takes about 2 seconds or so for CNC12 to ask me which axis. I can see what I presume is a macro running and it works every time. But it just seems odd to me that it would take that long for a macro to run. Again, I am a noob so this may be normal. Maybe this is a big macro.

Anyway, I have invested a LOT of time and money building this thing and I really appreciate everyone's help. I sure hope I can make this thing reliable.

BTW. This is based on the Onefinity setup. I am using stepper motors, not servo motors.
Attachments
report_3484E4260A11-0527226250_2024-02-10_12-36-28.zip
(681.27 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

Look at your error log, starting yesterday it's a wonder it did anything. It's riddled with communication errors. One after another.
Shawn, what file do you look for in a report to see these types of errors?