Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Leakage Circuit Breaker Question

Post by RJS100 »

I am getting ready to wire a 2.6KW JMC AC servo. Reading through the manual, there is a note regarding the fact that the servo has no built-in ground protection. See below. They suggest using a leakage circuit breaker. I have never worked with this type of breaker before. It sounds like they are describing a GFI type breaker. I will need a 220 volt 20-amp 2 pole breaker. Is there anything special I need to know about ordering one of these, or is there another name for them?

Thanks... Richard

The servo driver is directly connected to the industrial power supply, without the use of transformers and other
power source isolation. In order to prevent cross electric shock accident of servo system, please use fuse or circuit
breaker for wiring on input power supply. Because the servo driver has no built-in grounding protection circuit, in
order to form a more secure system, please use a leakage circuit breaker with overload and short circuit protection
or a dedicated leakage circuit breaker with supporting ground wire protection./i]
kb58
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Re: Leakage Circuit Breaker Question

Post by kb58 »

I believe that you're correct about: leakage circuit breaker = GFI. The one possible issue to be aware of is that some GFI breakers are sensitive to high-frequency noise on the wires, like that produced by VFD. If the breaker keeps tripping with no apparently current leakage problem, it's probably that. You can either try adding an EMI input filter or try a different brand of breaker.
Previous hobby, building hard core sports cars. See http://midlana.com/ and http://kimini.com/
RJS100

Post by RJS100 »

Thanks. I didn't purchase any breaker yet, but I had the same concern regarding tripping with a GFI type breaker. I am leaning towards using a regular breaker and making sure that the chassis of the servo motor is grounded. I think this will happen automatically as the motor is mounted to the milling machine which is grounded.

I also plan on using an EMI filter.

Thanks for your thoughs... Richard
Richards

Post by Richards »

Google Earth-leakage circuit breaker. By definition, they are not exactly the same as a GFI breaker. A Wikipedia article described two types, ELCB (voltage) and RCCB (current). Since you're the designer/engineer on your project, you can do anything that you want; but, if I were using your components, I would study things until I knew exactly which device would keep me and my shop safe.
-Mike Richards
RJS100

Post by RJS100 »

Thanks Mike.... With this in mind, I found an interesting article comparing RCCB's with miniature circuit breakers (MCB) . Essentially, RCCB'S or residential circuit breakers sense ground leaks and MCB are better at sensing current overloads. They do not sense ground leaks. So, my RCCB in the whole house panel and the MCB in my control panel together offer full protection. Thanks

https://igoyeenergy.com/rccb-vs-mcb/

Best... Richard
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I still cant hear you over that crazy, loud fan Richard. :mrgreen: (sorry, had to throw that in)
RJS100

Post by RJS100 »

Not to worry my friend. I am sure I am coming in crystal clear now. I sent that 60mm fan off to the graveyard. As Fusion 360 sketching challenge, I removed the cover from the servo driver, and sketched a new one that would accommodate a larger 80mm SILENT Noctua fan mounted externally. See attached images of the quietest AC servo driver you can find. Never underestimate a man's quest for a quiet shop :D
Attachments
20240112_172421.jpg
20240114_203441.jpg
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

RJS100 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:13 am Not to worry my friend. I am sure I am coming in crystal clear now........Never underestimate a man's quest for a quiet shop :D
Wow, I think I can hear "Oh Very Young" playing in the background now. :D Nice job on the fan replacement.
RJS100

Post by RJS100 »

Thanks!