Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E415F6F8DF80-0217212488
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

CNC12 stopped working

Post by neowalla »

Hello, I got a great Christmas present today! My CNC12 software/Acorn stopped working. I was running a vcarve operation (which also didn't complete properly. Z height incorrect, but that's another story)
after running the job and seeing the tool running a couple mm above the workpiece, I attempted to re-set the Z height by running the "auto Z to plate" program. No response from CNC12. Also could not manually jog any axis. The WMPG still works to move the axis. Shut down, re-start. Same result.
Powered off everything. Let it sit for a bit. Re-seated ethernet cable on both the PC and the Acorn. Powered back up. was able to move the axis, re-set home position, and ran the same job again. Also Z too high, and again it quit working right after the job completed.
Came here to the forum, noticed there is an updated version of the CNC12 software (5.06) so I downloaded and installed the upgrade.
Now nothing works. WMPG will not move the axis, and from the CNC12 application I cannot even reset the Estop. No buttons respond in any way.
I attached two reports. One immediately before, and one after the software upgrade.
Attachments
report_E415F6F8DF80-0217212488_2023-12-25_00-39-51.zip
(773.31 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
report_E415F6F8DF80-0217212488_2023-12-24_13-05-54.zip
(787.83 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
neowalla
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: CNC12 stopped working

Post by neowalla »

Update:
I tried to "revert" back to CNC12 version 4.6x (which I still had the installer file on my desktop), but when I installed 5.06 it updated the firmware on the controller and 4.6x throws an "unable to update firmware" error. I can understand it not being able to downgrade board firmware.
I then downloaded 4.82 and installed it. I did not have any firmware errors with this version.
I ran the restore report function and restored the most recent configuration from when all things Acorn were well in the world. This happened to be from October; it was the last time I ran my CNC.
Now I can at least jog the axes with the WMPG and get the gantry out of my way so that in itself is a small victory. As far as CNC12 software goes, the only thing now working again is the reset button. I still cannot move any axis or run any other commands (home, spindle warm up, switch from fast jog to slow jog, etc.)
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

The system is not setup right.

last working config was with 3200 pulse, now only 2000 ?

You can read most of the configuration from the report, set up in the wizard with the data from the old report.
Set the parameters also

Did you make screenshots from the last working version Wizard before updating?

Uwe
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

You cannot restore a report from 4.6X to 4.82 or any other version. It states this in the manual and all over this forum. Restore report is good only for the same version.

Best option is as Uwe stated, manually read out your settings from your old report and set those in 5.06. This is if you dont have screen shots of your previous settings. You should keep at least 2 copies of machine backups on a thumb drive or other PC in case things like this happen.
neowalla

Post by neowalla »

I "reverted" back to version 4.64 so presumably I should not need to re-enter any settings in the wizard. Upgrading the software was an attempt to fix the original problem which, if you read my initial post, the controller has simply stopped responding to commands from CNC12.
I made a safety copy of my original CNCM folder from my working version 4.64. I renamed the backup that version 5 created back to cncm and verified I am indeed back to running version 4.64.
My original problem is still there. CNC12 is unresponsive with the exception of the reset button clears the E-stop condition that exists when you first launch it. No other buttons do anything, yet the wireless MPG will move all the axes. No other buttons on the WMPG do anything, however.
I pinged the address of the Acorn from the PC and it replies.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I read the initial post and when you updated to 5.06 nothing would have actually work until you set all the parameters you had in 4.64 manually as you cannot restore a report from a different version. You can't simply install an upgraded version of CNC12 and expect anything to work right out of the box whether your old system/version was working or not..

Create screen shots of your 4.64 and then upgrade to 5.06. There is no free support for any version other than 5.06. Once you have it loaded and setup you can troubleshoot your issue and you can get free help here on the forum.
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Sword »

This hasn't been mentioned yet, but one reason you can't move anything is that in your 4.64 report, it shows hundreds of limit tripped warnings with none of them ever being cleared. Along with that, there are several axis travel exceeded warnings.

As far as any comm issues, one of your pictures shows the ethernet cable coiled up in the bottom of the cabinet next to a transformer. Although the report only shows a few comm errors and no mpu resends.

It would seem that many of your issues may be due to a incomplete config and machine/controller setup. The reason nothing worked with 5.06, is that nothing was configured post install.
Scott
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I noticed the same issues in his report and determined that it's just not setup correctly. And yes, he never configured 5.06 so of course nothing would have worked either. Looks like he's moving on.