Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3639
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tail stock in and out

Post by Clausing2020 »

I know I have seen some things about this. My tailstock goes in and out with two separate coils. How do I change the macro to fire different outputs. I have it set up to go out with output 42 and back in on output 39.

Thanks John
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Tail stock in and out

Post by cnckeith »

post a fresh report.zip and your macro
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Clausing2020
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Clausing2020 »

Ok these are what I am reading are for the tail stock in out mfunc 32 and 33
Attachments
report_98F07B6FB505-0629237369_2023-12-14_11-30-29.zip
(885.64 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
mfunc33.mac
(674 Bytes) Downloaded 23 times
mfunc32.mac
(628 Bytes) Downloaded 21 times
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

It is the PLC program that needs to change, not the macros.

The most minimal change would be to define OUT39 as "TailStockOutOut", then set that output opposite the state of the existing "TailstockInOut". Something like this:

Code: Select all

;==============================================================================
                                TailStockStage
;==============================================================================
IF SkinTailStock_M THEN (TailStockPD)
IF (TailStockPD && !SV_PROGRAM_RUNNING && TailStockOutOut) || (M32 && SV_PROGRAM_RUNNING)
	THEN SET TailStockInOut, RST TailStockOutOut, SET Aux11LED
IF (TailStockPD && !SV_PROGRAM_RUNNING && TailStockInOut) || (!M32 && SV_PROGRAM_RUNNING)
	THEN RST TailStockInOut, SET TailStockOutOut, RST Aux11LED
Personally, I would choose different names for the outputs: maybe "TailstockExtendSol" and "TailstockRetractSol". It is often unclear which way is "in" and which way is "out", and sometimes also unclear whether "in" and "out" refer to component movement direction or to PLC inputs vs. outputs.

I would also make the manual-mode controls (Aux11) manipulate the M32 request bit directly, so that the tailstock does not move unexpectedly when you position it manually, then start a program cycle running.

If the valve is a spring-to-center type from both sides, then the "extend" solenoid coil need to be powered continuously while holding a part. However, the "retract" coil could be turned off once the tailstock is fully retracted. This would reduce heating in the solenoid valve.
Clausing2020

Post by Clausing2020 »

My question is why did they set up the Tailstock with one button? Why not have it like the chuck as in chuck open and chuck close?…. Tailstock out and Tailstock in
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You could certainly expand it to two VCP buttons as well. Just draw them with Inkscape; choose some otherwise-unassigned "skin event" numbers and output numbers; and modify the PLC logic to match. The PLC logic would be a little simpler. Since the "retract" button would always retract, and the "advance" button would always advance, there would be no need to use a PD or to test the previous output state.

Although the Acorn philosophy may seem to be that everything is pre-programmed for you and you just need to enable it in the Wizard, the reality is that, if you want it to work your way, you can and should do it your way.

A programmer could spend weeks researching the different tailstock designs and requirements, and try to implement an all-encompassing tailstock system that would support every combination of solenoid valves, feedback switches, and user requirements. After all that investment, it still would only work for 80% - 90% of users.

I agree that two buttons are nicer than one, as long as you have the control panel real estate available.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Acorn Philosphy is to preconfigure as much as possible common machine tool functions to give newbie users a big head start while similtaneously not limiting the CNC control configuration by making avaiable free tools to fully customize the CNC controller to meet an almost infinite number of possible configurations and personal preferences.

Those Centroid CNC controller configuraition tools are:
- Advanced CNC PLC programming language, complier, and PLC detective anyalzer
- Advanced Macro programming
- VCP editing/programming
- Centroid APi (formerly know as Centroid Skinning)

Acorn is not trying to satisfy every possible machine function or personal preference with its preconfigured logic and features, but we give you the tools to do it! and that is what the Y in the DIY stands for. :D
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Yes, perhaps I should have phrased that better: "novices to Acorn may get the impression that everything is pre-programmed...".

Experienced users recognize that it is as Keith describes: you can adapt your needs to what is pre-supplied; or you can configure and program the control to meet your needs.
Clausing2020

Post by Clausing2020 »

cncsnw I get what you are saying. I just am lacking on the macros and PLC work. I have had Marc do my PLC work. I would love to learn more and understand it better. Where is the beginning to try to understand what I need to do. Lets just say something as simple as the m55 button on the Screen how do I make that go to a out put. I am 65 Years old and trying my best to make this stuff work. Where can I get some Training.

Thanks John
dpascucci_support
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by dpascucci_support »

These manuals are good place to start, the macro manual has some nice and easy examples to begin customizing the system.
Custom macro programming manual: https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... amming.pdf
PLC Programming manual: https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... manual.pdf
Domenic

When requesting support READ THIS POST first.

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)