Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Add on laser, need opinions

Post by Tlempicke »

I have been looking at a J Tech laser add on for my machine. I have a Shopbot machine that I converted to Acorn six or more years ago. It has been upgraded to the point where it is almost unrecognizable. Acorn with Clearpath motors aluminum table, Etc.

I would like to hear from some of you that have actually put an add on laser on your centroid driven CNC. It appears to me that there are a lot of advantages in having your job in register for both routing and lasing. But then having an open laser in the same room poses a set of dangers all it's own. Another big advantage is the Centroid software. I know it use it and love it. Also I really like Aspire and have that for years. That means that I am already pretty well set up when I would install the kit.

So what are the ups and downs? I am sure that there are others out there that would be interested.
grossmsj
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No

Re: Add on laser, need opinions

Post by grossmsj »

I use my lasers a lot. I have three Opt laser heads, each has its own advantages. I also had a J Tech when I first started. I think the overall build quality on the Opt lasers are much better than the J Tech 4.4W laser I had. But the company is in Poland so parts and support are a little more difficult. J Tech support in Texas is excellent.

You have to respect the damage a laser can do. Develop safe habits and never cut corners. Get a really good set of laser glasses (Opt and J Tech both sell them). Always use them when the laser is enabled. I'm a single person shop, so it's easy for me to just not allow visitors when the laser is in use. I don't worry about the laser any more than I would a table saw.

Vectric software is pretty capable. Lightburn is even more powerful. But if you already have Vectric, the laser module is a good place to start. If you search this forum you can get more information about Centroid laser post processors and how to use them. This post https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5431is excellent.

The downsides?
I really can't go faster than 75 ipm or strange stuff starts happening. I don't know if it's a problem on my end or the limits of the Acorn microprocessor/PWM capabilities. That's still pretty fast, but that's a limit for me.
A laser in use generates a LOT of smoke. On days I'm doing large batches, the shop is basically not usable, even with windows open and air cleaners going.
Blue Diode lasers just won't work on some materials. Once you get up around 15W (or that power density equivalent) you can cut thin plywood. You can etch some metals, engrave wood and slate, but blue diodes won't do some heavy lifting like a CO2 laser will.
RogDC
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No

Re: Add on laser, need opinions

Post by RogDC »

I ordered an Ox Laser module 5W from Amazon and made a mount on my dust shoe for easy mounting when I use it. Everything is packaged on the laser module (no additional boards/controls) so I just have a 4 pin molex near the spindle that I plug into the unit's pigtail, then use the mean-well power supplies in my control cabinet for the laser going thru the relay boards controlled by Acorn.

J Tech also sells acrylic which filters the blue light laser for shields, you can make a shield to go around the laser to assist with safety for the blue light lasers to minimize the risk, but get good laser glasses as @grossmsj points out. The shield won't eliminate the need for laser glasses. I have three pairs just in case someone is working with me in the shop when I use it.

Air assist is also helpful to clear the smoke. I have an alcohol mister(for aluminum cutting) set up on my dust shoe that I aim the nozzle at the diode to blow smoke off of the stock to help alleviate the smoke 'stains', and modify the PP to turn on 'mist' for the laser, or can be manually turned on by VCP, Alcohol flow is turned off of course.

To exhaust the smoke from the area I use the explosion proof axial fan and hoses from my spray booth and exhaust outside. I open the overhead door at the end of the CNC to get cross flow and put the hose near the man door of the shop. It moves enough air so the smoke doesn't build up in the shop. IIRC the fan is rated around 800CFM.

Not sure what my maximum speed is, I run test patterns in Lightburn for each species of wood prior to running jobs. The diodes tend to degrade over time so I find this the most reliable way to get the right settings at the time of the job being run.